What’s old is new again...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

What’s old is new again...

Post by cmgee67 »

I have noticed a major resurgence in 9mm. The 9mm has resurfaced with vengeance and rightfully so. I believe that the 9mm in +p loadings is incredibly effective. It doesn’t produce as much wear on the firearm and doesn’t run as hot as some other calibers. It’s cheaper to shoot, effective, and probably the most available. I have always been a 9mm guy. I was raised on it. It’s one of those things my dad always advocated and I have learn to as well. Even when 40 became the new hotness. I have carried various calibers but always go back to 9mm. 9mm used to be the in style caliber but then 40 came along. Now 40 is on its way out the door and 9mm is back. I doubt we will ever see 40 as hot as it once was. I personally do not like 40. Never liked shooting it. I always felt it was a compromise. Kind of a middle of the road caliber. But I digress. Who else sticks with 9mm?

carlson1

Re: What’s old is new again...

Post by carlson1 »

I am not much on .40, but I sure wouldn’t count it out yet.

JRG

Post by JRG »

Having discovered 45 acp, I now have that and 9mm handguns. I have never had a 40, and really haven't had the urge to experiment with 40.

Joe

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I shoot a .380 and a 357 Sig. In my view, a hot .380 with a 115 grain bullet from a 3.5" barrel provide the minimum amount of terminal performance needed. A 357 Sig with a 147 grain bullet and a 5.5" barrel provides as much ooomph as you'd need for anything smaller than a bear (at least at pistol ranges).

The 9mm +p is a compromise between those extremes, and is a solid middle ground for most folks, but I prefer to have two options.

flechero

Post by flechero »

cmgee67 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:55 pm I have noticed a major resurgence in 9mm. The 9mm has resurfaced with vengeance and rightfully so. I believe that the 9mm in +p loadings is incredibly effective. It doesn’t produce as much wear on the firearm and doesn’t run as hot as some other calibers. It’s cheaper to shoot, effective, and probably the most available. I have always been a 9mm guy. I was raised on it. It’s one of those things my dad always advocated and I have learn to as well. Even when 40 became the new hotness. I have carried various calibers but always go back to 9mm. 9mm used to be the in style caliber but then 40 came along. Now 40 is on its way out the door and 9mm is back. I doubt we will ever see 40 as hot as it once was. I personally do not like 40. Never liked shooting it. I always felt it was a compromise. Kind of a middle of the road caliber. But I digress. Who else sticks with 9mm?
My observations from the back row.... The 9mm came back strong with 2 advancements in the gun world... the original glock dbl stack- back then everyone wanted a plastic whiz bang 15 or 19 round gun (whatever it was) and police dept's started going to it for capacity. The other [more recent] was the refinement of the small/light 9's for carry, which allowed a person to be armed with a minimum of hassle and may even fit a standard size pocket. That gave people a practical equivalent the the 38 snubbie, but with quick reloads and a slimmer profile. Even back then, people frowned on .25acp and .380 so the small 9mm was a welcomed option. (side note- I have the .25acp that my mother-in-law carried daily when she worked at the rail yard in the 70's and 80's... not much of a man stopper but it scared off the hobo's that slept in the boxcars!)

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

In case anyone is wondering, I'm going to stay out of this one.

Chas.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:51 am In case anyone is wondering, I'm going to stay out of this one.

Chas.
:lol:

Well, I'll jump in and say that it's more like selling real estate; it's not as much the caliber as it is location, location, location..... :biggrinjester:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mike_m614

Post by mike_m614 »

Having always been a 9mm fan myself I recently thought I would try a .40. So far I haven't been that impressed. With the recoil associated with a .40 I would rather just have a .45. Then you lose magazine capacity with the .40 also. But, I can also see the upside of the .40. I think it all comes down to personal preference honestly.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

The only .40s I have tried have been in compacts. I find it much more abusive to my hands than either the 9mm or the .45ACP. If I were to try it in a bigger gun, I might like it, but...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:15 pm I am not much on .40, but I sure wouldn’t count it out yet.
I don’t own anything in .40 anymore but I’ve seen new pistols in .40 on clearance and I’ve been tempted to pick one up.

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:51 am In case anyone is wondering, I'm going to stay out of this one.

Chas.
#metoo
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”