Changing rear m&p sights

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 2

Changing rear m&p sights

Post by Odinvalknir »

So I bought a pair of fiber optic rear sights for my M&P Compact. One thing I'm wondering though when I put the new ones in is there any adjustment that I need to make for accuracy? Or is there really only one place they can be? I've never changed the sights on a gun before so I am curious if I'm going to screw up my accuracy if I don't get them back in the exact same spot that the factory ones were in.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Changing rear m&p sights

Post by carlson1 »

You will want it dead center. Be very careful removing the rear sight on an M&P because it has plunger with a spring underneath the rear sight and it will fly across the room.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

All sight adjustments are done on the front sight, keep that in mind.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Calipers are your friend.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Odinvalknir wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:05 pm So I bought a pair of fiber optic rear sights for my M&P Compact. One thing I'm wondering though when I put the new ones in is there any adjustment that I need to make for accuracy? Or is there really only one place they can be? I've never changed the sights on a gun before so I am curious if I'm going to screw up my accuracy if I don't get them back in the exact same spot that the factory ones were in.
Dawson Precision has instructions and videos for installing their sights. Perhaps your manufacturer has similar aids. https://dawsonprecision.com/instructions-for-dp-parts/

I use the Dawson Precision fiber optice front and charger rear. The rear sight is solid and black with a forward slanting front face to aid in one-handed manipulation of the slide. I took a look at the instructions and promptly ordered the sights through my local trainer who also installed the sights. $94 total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Odinvalknir »

A friend of mine has done a lot of gun smithing over the years, he happened to have a B&J machine p500 sight tool. Made it exceptionally easy, even keeping the little spring and plunger in place till I was ready to put the new sights on. I used a little micro ruler to try and get the center of the sight dead center the top of slide.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”