Handgun Disarms - A Reality Check

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Handgun Disarms - A Reality Check

Post by BCGlocker »

Saw this video a while back, it is very informative. Just reinforce the attempt to disarm is the "last" option and should proceed by some sort of distraction.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Were I the gunmen, I wouldn't stick my gun hand/arm way out like the demonstrator did.

I would use a 'retention' method, i.e., gun hand held very close to body.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Very interesting, thanks for posting. it appeared that a few of the head shots could have been avoided if he ducked instead of going arms only to push the gun up and out of the way. (not that it would have made a compelling argument to try- unless you thought you were toast anyway)

The last one surprised me- My initial thought was no way he's avoiding the shot to the back... but the disarm move turned him out of the muzzle path.

I wish there was a way to try this with the gunman not expecting the disarm attempt. Just to see how much the adds changed.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Abraham wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:53 am Were I the gunmen, I wouldn't stick my gun hand/arm way out like the demonstrator did.

I wondered if it was an attempt to replicate something more likely to happen on the street. ?

Paladin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Paladin »

flechero wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:04 am
Abraham wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:53 am Were I the gunmen, I wouldn't stick my gun hand/arm way out like the demonstrator did.

I wondered if it was an attempt to replicate something more likely to happen on the street. ?
On the street the bad guy typically puts the gun very close to you. In your face, etc.

Bad guys don't want everyone to see they have their weapon out, so they hold it close to your body.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Action beats reaction.

A trained disarm is the best move for these situations where you start with the badguy holding a gun to you.

In the video scenarios you have a well trained badguy expecting a disarm. Even without a distraction, the goodguy avoids being hit most of the time. If you use a distraction against an untrained badguy who is not expecting a disarm the success rate goes WAY up.

If the badguy is holding a gun to you and already has what he wants from you, then looks to his left and right (for witnesses), its time to make a gun disarm attempt regardless of your skill level, because the badguy plans to kill you.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

This video could be eye opening if anyone hasn't seen gun vs. knife before:

The concealed carrier tries to move backwards to make distance which puts him off balance and is generally a mistake.

Far better would be to use combatives and/or Close Range Gunfighting/Advanced Close Range gunfighting techniques

Force on Force 2016

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Not to disparage the tests in the film - the “good guy” shows a LOT of skill - but this is a powerful argument for two things: (1) maintaining distance if you have to deploy your own gun in a SD scenario; and (2) the situational awareness to never let a potential bad guy get that close to you in the first place. I’m probably too old and slow to put any of these moves into action, but if I were able to, I’d see it as a last ditch measure....situational awareness and maintaining distance having failed me. Very cool stuff though.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:31 am Not to disparage the tests in the film - the “good guy” shows a LOT of skill - but this is a powerful argument for two things: (1) maintaining distance if you have to deploy your own gun in a SD scenario; and (2) the situational awareness to never let a potential bad guy get that close to you in the first place. I’m probably too old and slow to put any of these moves into action, but if I were able to, I’d see it as a last ditch measure....situational awareness and maintaining distance having failed me. Very cool stuff though.
Absolutely!

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:31 am Not to disparage the tests in the film - the “good guy” shows a LOT of skill - but this is a powerful argument for two things: (1) maintaining distance if you have to deploy your own gun in a SD scenario; and (2) the situational awareness to never let a potential bad guy get that close to you in the first place. I’m probably too old and slow to put any of these moves into action, but if I were able to, I’d see it as a last ditch measure....situational awareness and maintaining distance having failed me. Very cool stuff though.
This video seems to answser the question "Can it be done?" That question should immediately be followed by the more important "Can I do it?"
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

oljames3 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:47 pm
This video seems to answser the question "Can it be done?" That question should immediately be followed by the more important "Can I do it?"
Exactly

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Krav Maga, Haganah, and many kinds of martial arts teach disarms just like they show in the video.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Quoting myself from another thread:
It’s worth mentioning again the white paper by Clayton Cramer and David Burnett, where they collected news articles on defensive gun uses between 2003 and 2008k and then analyzed them. Out of 4,668 DGU reports collected, in 238 instances a person wielding a gun was disarmed. In only eleven cases was the "good guy" disarmed (and in one of those, when the good guy's rifle was taken, he drew his handgun and shot one of his assailants). In the other 227 cases, the intended victim disarmed his or her attacker.
And I would bet in the vast majority of those cases the people involved had no training whatsoever. Having some decent training would up your odds is considerably.

The source for the stats is
Tough Targets: When Criminals Face Armed Resistance from Citizens

I don’t have the link handy, but internet search should find it.
USAF 1982-2005

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

Paladin wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:39 pm
Krav Maga, Haganah, and many kinds of martial arts teach disarms just like they show in the video.
Yes, many systems teach methods/techniques similar to those shown in OP's video. The question still remains; "Can I do it?"

I'm 66 years old and 70% disabled per the VA. The question remains; "Can I do it?" My answer is; "Probably not." Too old to fight, too tired to run. You know the rest.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”