Moderator: carlson1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Handgun Disarms - A Reality Check

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

oljames3 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:24 pm
Paladin wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:39 pm
oljames3 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:47 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:31 am Not to disparage the tests in the film - the “good guy” shows a LOT of skill - but this is a powerful argument for two things: (1) maintaining distance if you have to deploy your own gun in a SD scenario; and (2) the situational awareness to never let a potential bad guy get that close to you in the first place. I’m probably too old and slow to put any of these moves into action, but if I were able to, I’d see it as a last ditch measure....situational awareness and maintaining distance having failed me. Very cool stuff though.
This video seems to answser the question "Can it be done?" That question should immediately be followed by the more important "Can I do it?"
Krav Maga, Haganah, and many kinds of martial arts teach disarms just like they show in the video.
Yes, many systems teach methods/techniques similar to those shown in OP's video. The question still remains; "Can I do it?"

I'm 66 years old and 70% disabled per the VA. The question remains; "Can I do it?" My answer is; "Probably not." Too old to fight, too tired to run. You know the rest.
I am willing to bet there are many with much less disability than you who also can't do it successfully. Thinking one can does not equate to doing it.

txhighlander
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txhighlander »

In my shape and age the best disarm I am to do is not be there to begain with :biggrinjester:
Truth against the world

Paladin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Paladin »

Navy SEAL Mark Divine says that you win first in your mind.

His book, Unbeatable Mind is a must read.

We can't all be as physically fit as a Navy SEAL, but we can train our minds for success.

One of his slogans is "we do today what others won't so we can do tomorrow what others can't"

True words
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

Paladin wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:07 am Navy SEAL Mark Divine says that you win first in your mind.

His book, Unbeatable Mind is a must read.

We can't all be as physically fit as a Navy SEAL, but we can train our minds for success.

One of his slogans is "we do today what others won't so we can do tomorrow what others can't"

True words
"A man's got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry (Cling Eastwood) Magnum Force.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

Abraham wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:53 am Were I the gunmen, I wouldn't stick my gun hand/arm way out like the demonstrator did.

I would use a 'retention' method, i.e., gun hand held very close to body.

Most people doing this are dumb and usually on drugs!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Paladin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Paladin »

A few real-life examples of gun disarms:

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”