Old vs New/Your Five

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TXHawk
Posts in topic: 1

Old vs New/Your Five

Post by TXHawk »

I like to hear what types of firearms shooters lean towards or the first ones that catch your eye at the candy store. I like the modern rifle platforms and the many types of new semi-auto options as much as the next person. They are fun to shoot and so versatile. I have "some" if you will and I love them. That said when it gets right down to it I still prefer the lines and feel of an old school rifle with a fine wood stock and a good revolver. When I open my safe there are several I pick up that make me smile the most. My "five" if you will.

Ruger No. 1 in 45.70
Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag.
Fox/Savage Model B side by side in 20 gauge
Ruger Mark I. Here is my exception to the old school rule. It is the first firearm I owned so no explanation necessary.
Marlin Model 1894 in .44 Mag.

What about the rest of you?
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
Thomas Jefferson

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Old vs New/Your Five

Post by C-dub »

All types. I have a few of each. Some old, some not so old, and a few new. Most were handed down. Some were acquired. Most of those were from friends or friends of friends. I'd say only about 20% or less were purchased from a store.

My candy store shopping has dwindled over the past year. My wife played a dirty trick on me and talked me into another motorcycle. :biggrinjester:
We've put on about 12k miles the first year and have longer trips planned over the next couple years. Our daughter will graduate HS in another year and we're looking to get out on the road more after that.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

C-dub wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 pm All types. I have a few of each. Some old, some not so old, and a few new. Most were handed down. Some were acquired. Most of those were from friends or friends of friends. I'd say only about 20% or less were purchased from a store.

My candy store shopping has dwindled over the past year. My wife played a dirty trick on me and talked me into another motorcycle. :biggrinjester:
We've put on about 12k miles the first year and have longer trips planned over the next couple years. Our daughter will graduate HS in another year and we're looking to get out on the road more after that.
What did you get? I ride a 2013 Road King CVO. I love taking long road trips.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:06 am
C-dub wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 pm All types. I have a few of each. Some old, some not so old, and a few new. Most were handed down. Some were acquired. Most of those were from friends or friends of friends. I'd say only about 20% or less were purchased from a store.

New 2016 Goldwing with everything except the airbag. I’ve got a thread with a little about it around here somewhere.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I have everything from a 1903 Colt Hammerless .32acp. 1940's Mosen, 30+ year old S&W 357, to new Polymer Pistols and AR style rifles....

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Things that catch my eye
Ithaca mdl 37
Any 1911 esp. With double stack mags
Any rifle with a heavy barrel wood stock esp. Laminate and large scope!

My five
1. Rem 6mm.06 heavy barrel in laminate stock with 6-24 mil dot scope
.204 heavy barrel in laminate stock 6-24 mil dot scope
Both glass bedded and barrels floated
Para p14
Para p12
Ithaca model 37 12ga.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

03Lightningrocks

C-dub wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:21 pm

New 2016 Goldwing with everything except the airbag. I’ve got a thread with a little about it around here somewhere.
Nice touring bike! It is contagious. Getting out on the open road and seeing the country from a bike is great.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:48 pm
C-dub wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:21 pm

Nice touring bike! It is contagious. Getting out on the open road and seeing the country from a bike is great.
Yup.

I've been riding for over 40 years and licensed for about 38 of them. I've been back and forth from Memphis to Dallas to San Diego a few times and all over SoCal many years ago on a GS1100E. The wife and I are looking at seeing much more in the years to come. I sold my Hayabusa about 6 years ago and didn't ride at all until getting this one last year. I thought I was done riding, but my wife missed it more than I thought I did. So, here we go!

03Lightningrocks

:hurry: :anamatedbanana :txflag:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

TXHawk wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:46 pm I like to hear what types of firearms shooters lean towards or the first ones that catch your eye at the candy store. I like the modern rifle platforms and the many types of new semi-auto options as much as the next person. They are fun to shoot and so versatile. I have "some" if you will and I love them. That said when it gets right down to it I still prefer the lines and feel of an old school rifle with a fine wood stock and a good revolver. When I open my safe there are several I pick up that make me smile the most. My "five" if you will.

Ruger No. 1 in 45.70
Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag.
Fox/Savage Model B side by side in 20 gauge
Ruger Mark I. Here is my exception to the old school rule. It is the first firearm I owned so no explanation necessary.
Marlin Model 1894 in .44 Mag.

What about the rest of you?
I grew up with walnut and blued steel and still lean that way with most of my firearms. I was selling guns about the time Colt began marketing the AR15 and we had a Colt franchise. I don't recall ever selling a single AR-15 back then. We carried Colt, Franchi, SAKO, Beretta, Colt, Colt-Sauer, Mannlicher-Schoenauer, Charles Daly, some mid level foreign makes, Taurus, Star, etc and of course all the USA manufactures as well, S&W, Ruger, Winchester, Remington, Mossberg, Marlin, Savage/Stevens, etc. That's what folks were looking for and though they would lokk at the AR's most just huffed and said they'd never by plastic and aluminum guns and personally I thought the AR-15 was the god awfullest looking instrument ever to have a trigger and barrel. Sometimes I'd have to pick up a SAKO or nice Remington and caress it lovingly just to get the "taste out of my mouth" after showing an AR. I tell that story just to show how things change, including me. I think they are one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century, BUT I still love my Walnut and Steel. I bought a 1977 S&W Model 27 last December to replace one I bought in the 1960's that was stolen. I have my Dad's 12 ga Fox Sterlingworth (I can't shoot it as it was custom fit to him and is way too short for me), but I love shooting my vintage Smiths and Rugers and while I have numerous modern designed firearms, I just love holding and shooting a vintage gun.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

These days it's mainly revolvers if I can find them in the store. Truthfully I don't spend much time in gun sections or stores unless it's for ammo or to look over reloading stuff.
Psalm 91:2

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

My time in an actual gun store is also pretty limited over the past year.

Most of my "shopping" is done here on this forum whenever ya'll put stuff up for sale.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Dang, it's hard to pick just five. But here goes:

Ruger M77 .270 (1974 model)
S&W Model 28 .357 (1977 model)
Colt 1911 (1964 model)
Winchester 94 (1951 year model)
Stag Arms .556 (2010 year model)
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I am working on my top 50. I am not there yet, but closing in fast but not too fast.
Ironically, I have 0 revolver.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I too have lots of “new” stuff, and some old school stuff. My old school stuff would include:
— a couple of 1911s, one of which is a 1943 vintage
— a 5” S&W Model 29
— lever actions in .22, .30/30, and 45/70
— a couple of .308 Winchester bolt actions
— a 1943 vintage Inland M1 Carbine
— a 1936 Tula Mosin Nagant
— a over/under 12 gauge shotgun
— a pump action 12 gauge shotgun

Now some of those guns were made after 2000, but they are what you’d call “old school” styles. I also own several AR15s, a SCAR 17, an AK, etc., etc. But the truth is, the SCAR excepted, the ARs and AK are designs that are well over 50 years old now, so they may well qualify as “transitional” rather than modern. Ditto for the more modern revolvers I own. And how long ago did Gaston Glock release his first “G-series” pistol to the market? A LOT of gun technology has been around for a long time now. Even my SCAR 17S is more of an evolutionary design, rather than a ‘revolutionary’ design, as it uses a short stroke gas piston drive system just like an AK or a FAL uses. It just combines the AK/FAL gas system and folding stock with the modular design and ergos of the AR platform rifles, and a MUCH better barrel than either of those two rifles.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”