Truck broken in to, pistol stolen...I’m mad at myself

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SigM4
Posts in topic: 4

Truck broken in to, pistol stolen...I’m mad at myself

Post by SigM4 »

Came home today from several days in Chicago for business. Walk out to the parking garage at Terminal D at DFW to drive home. When I travel I lock my keys in the truck and use the keypad to get in (always afraid I'll leave my keys somewhere while traveling). Today, got the sound you get when trying to unlock doors that are already unlocked. I'm 110% certain I locked them as I remember visually checking the door locks when leaving. Get in and realize that the VP9 that I keep in the truck is gone. Holster is still there, spare mag is still there, cash, sunglasses, the keys to the truck are all there, but the gun is gone. Turns out thieve shimmied a screw driver under the driver's side door handle to pop the lock (2005 F-150).

Mad at myself as I always lock the gun in the safe under the driver's seat, but this time I was running late and neglected to do it. Shame on me.

Made a report with the airport PD including serial #. Very little hope of recovery, says they've had a rash of similar incidents all apparently targeting firearms. Geez...
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Truck broken in to, pistol stolen...I’m mad at myself

Post by Ruark »

Bad news. I've often heard that gun-seeking thieves look for trucks with window/bumper stickers like NRA, Cabelas, etc. because these are likely to have guns in them, especially at places like airports where people usually leave them in their vehicles.
-Ruark

Topic author
SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Ruark wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:35 pm Bad news. I've often heard that gun-seeking thieves look for trucks with window/bumper stickers like NRA, Cabelas, etc. because these are likely to have guns in them, especially at places like airports where people usually leave them in their vehicles.
Yep, even joked with the cops when I was filing the report about that (I have nothing on my truck). I’d love to have the “Come and Take It” plates, but I don’t even want that kind of advertisement. Cop said it doesnt matter. The fact I drive a truck is enough for the thieves. They figure more guns in trucks than in minivans so it increases their odds to stick with trucks.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

strogg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by strogg »

This is why I take a cab to the airport if I ever need to fly.

I wonder how much these things deter thieves https://trucksecurity.com/TScom,%20product%20JJ.htm

TXHawk

Post by TXHawk »

SigM4 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:39 pm
Ruark wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:35 pm Bad news. I've often heard that gun-seeking thieves look for trucks with window/bumper stickers like NRA, Cabelas, etc. because these are likely to have guns in them, especially at places like airports where people usually leave them in their vehicles.
Yep, even joked with the cops when I was filing the report about that (I have nothing on my truck). I’d love to have the “Come and Take It” plates, but I don’t even want that kind of advertisement. Cop said it doesnt matter. The fact I drive a truck is enough for the thieves. They figure more guns in trucks than in minivans so it increases their odds to stick with trucks.
That is ridiculous. I am sorry that happened. I think probably what needs to be done is we encourage the legislature to pass a law against unlawful entry in a vehicle and post signs that say no stealing. That would sure make a difference.
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
Thomas Jefferson

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

strogg wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:41 pmI wonder how much these things deter thieves https://trucksecurity.com/TScom,%20product%20JJ.htm
Actually, not much. I have them on my truck, but it didn't even slow down the thief that stole my radio. They just stick a screwdriver in the door lock and use a crescent wrench to twist it. The lock tumblers (brass) get sheared off and the lock knob pops up just as if you used a key.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

strogg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by strogg »

Pawpaw wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:49 pm
strogg wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:41 pmI wonder how much these things deter thieves https://trucksecurity.com/TScom,%20product%20JJ.htm
Actually, not much. I have them on my truck, but it didn't even slow down the thief that stole my radio. They just stick a screwdriver in the door lock and use a crescent wrench to twist it. The lock tumblers (brass) get sheared off and the lock knob pops up just as if you used a key.
Dandy. Thanks for the info. I guess that saves me however-much-they-cost. Good thing I don't keep anything of real monetary value in my vehicle.

dlh

Post by dlh »

No surveillance video? I would think at an airport/parking lot they would have it covered. You might check into that.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I have a pro gun control sticker on my ancient SUV to dissuade thieves from searching my vehicle.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

MaduroBU wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:37 pm I have a pro gun control sticker on my ancient SUV to dissuade thieves from searching my vehicle.
They'll break in assuming you have drugs in there. :biggrinjester:

SigM4 - I'm curious, was your under-seat safe unlocked and did they look in it, or is there no indication they found it? There isn't much they can't get into given several minutes alone, which they probably had in a lot like that.

Jeff

cirus

Post by cirus »

I never leave a gun in the truck unless I'm not allowed to carry inside like post office, school etc . If it's gonna be more than a few minutes I just don't bring the gun with me. If I've got a gun it's on me.

rotor

Post by rotor »

That's why they make Taurus.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

rotor wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:32 am That's why they make Taurus.
Excellent observation. However, I think I’m going to get a basic RIA .

rotor

Post by rotor »

WTR wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:19 pm
rotor wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:32 am That's why they make Taurus.
Excellent observation. However, I think I’m going to get a basic RIA .
My local Academy will have the Taurus G2c for $180 on black Friday. Good truck gun. Perhaps statewide.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Thanks

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”