Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Truck broken in to, pistol stolen...I’m mad at myself

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rotor wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:46 pm
WTR wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:19 pm
rotor wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:32 am That's why they make Taurus.
Excellent observation. However, I think I’m going to get a basic RIA .
My local Academy will have the Taurus G2c for $180 on black Friday. Good truck gun. Perhaps statewide.
You can get a Hi-Point model 34510 for even less .... and it’s chambered in the mighty .45 ACP, which will set nearby trees and shrubs alight, blow out nearby windows, and set off car alarms all over the neighborhood when fired. The shockwave picked up on Richter scales when fired is exceeded only by the shotckwave when one is dropped. It only weights 9.5 lbs, and will fit in an Uncle Mike’s nylon holster with a little duct tape and some safety wire. You can find these babies all day long for $150.

Best part? You can leave it in plain view right on your seat, and no criminal will touch it because they don’t want to lose the respect of their homies.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
SigM4
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SigM4 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:17 am You can get a Hi-Point model 34510 for even less .... and it’s chambered in the mighty .45 ACP, which will set nearby trees and shrubs alight, blow out nearby windows, and set off car alarms all over the neighborhood when fired. The shockwave picked up on Richter scales when fired is exceeded only by the shotckwave when one is dropped. It only weights 9.5 lbs, and will fit in an Uncle Mike’s nylon holster with a little duct tape and some safety wire. You can find these babies all day long for $150.

Best part? You can leave it in plain view right on your seat, and no criminal will touch it because they don’t want to lose the respect of their homies.
Haha, I’m partial to a little flair. The irony is that the gun depicts more cash than its actually worth. My buddy and I comically refer to Hi-Pionts as “$100 problem solvers”.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

When I drive to the airport, I use a secured off site parking lot (Parking Spot) to manage that risk.

It's also cheaper than parking at the terminal.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Excaliber wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:51 am When I drive to the airport, I use a secured off site parking lot (Parking Spot) to manage that risk.

This is my typical process as well, unless it’s for a shorter term trip. Then I leave pistol at house because even 24hrs is too long for my poor little under seat safe to last if they are searching.

Topic author
SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Excaliber wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:51 am When I drive to the airport, I use a secured off site parking lot (Parking Spot) to manage that risk.

And I had been doing this, but with the company picking up the tab I’d since switched. Not anymore, back to the Parking Spot South for me.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I was fortunate and there is very good security at the El Paso airport short term parking. I screwed up and left my drvers side window down on a 4 day trip. When I returned, all I had was a dusty car. Pistol and knives were untouched.

rotor

Post by rotor »

At Dallas I did that one time and when I returned to get my car it looked like someone with a giant pogostick had been jumping on it (and every other car in the area). That giant thunderstorm that destroyed many planes at DFW also destroyed my car. So, either way you can't win. If parking in Dallas area though I think it is slightly safer to park in a covered garage with nothing left in your vehicle.
The good news in my case was that the vehicle was a GM piece of **** and I was glad to get rid of it.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

rotor wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:09 pm

At Dallas I did that one time and when I returned to get my car it looked like someone with a giant pogostick had been jumping on it (and every other car in the area). That giant thunderstorm that destroyed many planes at DFW also destroyed my car. So, either way you can't win. If parking in Dallas area though I think it is slightly safer to park in a covered garage with nothing left in your vehicle.
The good news in my case was that the vehicle was a GM piece of **** and I was glad to get rid of it.
There is off-site covered secure parking at DFW as well. I have only owned GM vehicles my entire life and have never had any problems, and I drive them hard.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

rotor

Post by rotor »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:21 pm

There is off-site covered secure parking at DFW as well. I have only owned GM vehicles my entire life and have never had any problems, and I drive them hard.
Glad to know that there is off site covered parking at DFW. Not to start a GM war but I have owned 4, a 1960 Corvair, a Pontiac Phoenix (a death trap), a different Pontiac the name escapes me, and even though I said I would never again buy GM, a Suburban who's air conditioner constantly dripped into the right front passenger side and wouldn't cool the vehicle. I bought that one after GM ran a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal begging people to come back after admitting that their previous cars were junk. I drive Ford and Toyota now and my 1997 F150 is still going like new, my 2014 F250 super duty diesel has never failed me and pulls anything and my Toyota Prius vi may someday need gas again but rarely. I am sure some like GM but I spent more time at the GM dealer getting repairs that I shouldn't have and all but the Corvair were new. Just my experience but if you ever read Consumer Report it is rare to find a GM with high marks. And at 75 I have been through a lot of cars. The Phoenix was destroyed by hail at DFW and I consider that a blessing from God.

Back to topic, I bought 2 Taurus G2C at Academy today, $199 each with additional 10% veteran discount. One to be gifted to my daughter who finally wants to learn how to handle a gun and own one and one for my F150. They are having a black Friday $179 sale on 11/22 with the FDE model down to $179 but the guy at the store didn't know how many they would get. So with the mil discount I got the black ones for the same price. These make great truck guns and for some they would also make great conceal carry guns.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

rotor wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:43 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Glad to know that there is off site covered parking at DFW. Not to start a GM war but I have owned 4, a 1960 Corvair, a Pontiac Phoenix (a death trap), a different Pontiac the name escapes me, and even though I said I would never again buy GM, a Suburban who's air conditioner constantly dripped into the right front passenger side and wouldn't cool the vehicle. I bought that one after GM ran a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal begging people to come back after admitting that their previous cars were junk. I drive Ford and Toyota now and my 1997 F150 is still going like new, my 2014 F250 super duty diesel has never failed me and pulls anything and my Toyota Prius vi may someday need gas again but rarely. I am sure some like GM but I spent more time at the GM dealer getting repairs that I shouldn't have and all but the Corvair were new. Just my experience but if you ever read Consumer Report it is rare to find a GM with high marks. And at 75 I have been through a lot of cars. The Phoenix was destroyed by hail at DFW and I consider that a blessing from God.

Back to topic, I bought 2 Taurus G2C at Academy today, $199 each with additional 10% veteran discount. One to be gifted to my daughter who finally wants to learn how to handle a gun and own one and one for my F150. They are having a black Friday $179 sale on 11/22 with the FDE model down to $179 but the guy at the store didn't know how many they would get. So with the mil discount I got the black ones for the same price. These make great truck guns and for some they would also make great conceal carry guns.
My experience with Silverado's, Colorado's and Corvettes has been excellent. I would agree with you on the Corvair, the Pontiac and some of the SUV's.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

JRG

Post by JRG »

SigM4 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:22 pm Came home today from several days in Chicago for business. Walk out to the parking garage at Terminal D at DFW to drive home. When I travel I lock my keys in the truck and use the keypad to get in (always afraid I'll leave my keys somewhere while traveling). Today, got the sound you get when trying to unlock doors that are already unlocked. I'm 110% certain I locked them as I remember visually checking the door locks when leaving. Get in and realize that the VP9 that I keep in the truck is gone. Holster is still there, spare mag is still there, cash, sunglasses, the keys to the truck are all there, but the gun is gone. Turns out thieve shimmied a screw driver under the driver's side door handle to pop the lock (2005 F-150).

Mad at myself as I always lock the gun in the safe under the driver's seat, but this time I was running late and neglected to do it. Shame on me.

Made a report with the airport PD including serial #. Very little hope of recovery, says they've had a rash of similar incidents all apparently targeting firearms. Geez...
This happened to me when attending a computer conference in Austin, TX many years ago. I left my EDC in the truck because the hotel did not allow weapons. I went out the next morning and found my driver's window smashed in and the Springfield XD 4.0" gun and two extra mags GONE! I called the Austin PD and made the report. No officer ever came out. 20+ years later, I am still waiting for the call that the gun has been recovered! ha

I never leave a weapon in the truck anymore. Lesson learned.

Joe

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Back in the early 80s I had a model 37 and a fleece vest stolen from my truck. It was a major effort to get the Police to investigate. Even though they pullled clear prints of my truck they gave me 0% chance of recovery.
‘M just glad the thieves did not open the glove box and find the Woodsman. The Police were worthless.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

SigM4 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:22 pm Came home today from several days in Chicago for business. Walk out to the parking garage at Terminal D at DFW to drive home. When I travel I lock my keys in the truck and use the keypad to get in (always afraid I'll leave my keys somewhere while traveling). Today, got the sound you get when trying to unlock doors that are already unlocked. I'm 110% certain I locked them as I remember visually checking the door locks when leaving. Get in and realize that the VP9 that I keep in the truck is gone. Holster is still there, spare mag is still there, cash, sunglasses, the keys to the truck are all there, but the gun is gone. Turns out thieve shimmied a screw driver under the driver's side door handle to pop the lock (2005 F-150).

Mad at myself as I always lock the gun in the safe under the driver's seat, but this time I was running late and neglected to do it. Shame on me.

Made a report with the airport PD including serial #. Very little hope of recovery, says they've had a rash of similar incidents all apparently targeting firearms. Geez...
:banghead:

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

RoadRunnerTR21 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:51 am I use Parking Spot as well. In the mid 90's I would park at the airport. One night I went to get my truck only to find my tailgate stolen. I went to DFW PD and they laughed and said "we got another one stolen". I did not think it was funny. Ever since I have parked offsite.
:shock:

A tailgate? Seriously? I know they are easy to take off, but in all my years (and there have been many of them) I have never heard of a tailgate being stolen. I've driven a pickup since 1972, and parked in a few high crime areas on occasion, many times at DFW. But a tailgate?

:banghead:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”