Best Gun for Home Defense

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Best Gun for Home Defense

Post by WildBill »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:56 am
Liberty wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:41 am Whenever I see the words "Best Gun", "Best Ammo" or "Best Caliber", I typically just shake my head and do a facepalm.
:iagree:
That is one reason why I gave up reading gun magazines years ago.
NRA Endowment Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Yep.

I just finished latest issue of "Guns and Ammo's" pick of the year or best of the year gun this and that - don't remember the exact wording, but you get my drift.

Every pick sounded like a heavy duty marketing ploy.

Kinda creeped me out.

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Abraham wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:06 pm Yep.

I just finished latest issue of "Guns and Ammo's" pick of the year or best of the year gun this and that - don't remember the exact wording, but you get my drift.

Every pick sounded like a heavy duty marketing ploy.

Kinda creeped me out.
Undoubtedly true
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:04 pm I’d be OK with pistol, AR, or shotgun, but my biggest fear is actually doing more damage to my hearing by discharging a gun inside my house, which is why my primary HD weapon has become a suppressed G17 loaded with 147 grain subsonics. All my ARs can also be suppressed, but they’re still a lot louder than the suppressed pistol. And like Medley86, I wouldn’t take the low percentage shot with either a pistol or rifle unless there was no other alternative.
My hearing is probably the last thing I will be worrying about if I have to defend my home from intruders.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

LeonCarr wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:45 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:04 pm I’d be OK with pistol, AR, or shotgun, but my biggest fear is actually doing more damage to my hearing by discharging a gun inside my house, which is why my primary HD weapon has become a suppressed G17 loaded with 147 grain subsonics. All my ARs can also be suppressed, but they’re still a lot louder than the suppressed pistol. And like Medley86, I wouldn’t take the low percentage shot with either a pistol or rifle unless there was no other alternative.
My hearing is probably the last thing I will be worrying about if I have to defend my home from intruders.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Well, with the suppressor and subsonics, it’s not even the last thing I worry about; in fact I don’t worry about it at all. Just my 2¢.

I do understand where you guys are coming from, but I already have a very noticeable hearing deficit and my ears ring fairly loudly all the time. I am also a musician, and protecting what’s left of my hearing is very important to me. The biggest impact on my hearing was a single event - a ND I had inside my house back in the mid-1990s. My hearing has never been the same since. Overly loud noises, particularly in a certain register, now actually cause me physical pain in my ears if I don’t put on good hearing protection. For instance, when one of my grandkids shrieks real loud, where most adults would merely cringe, me it actually causes me pain. Imagine having to react to a home invasion and defend yourself while someone blew salt into your eyes. It would be like that for me - except its my ears. If you had advance knowledge that, in the event of a home invasion, your eyes would be not just “at risk”, but actually targeted, you’d protect them, no? That’s how I treat my ears, and I don’t want to have to fumble around in the dark for earpro, no matter how fast I can find them and put them on. I’d rather just start off not needing it in the first place. So by keeping a large framed pistol stoked with lots of subsonic ammo and a suppressor mounted, I don’t even have to think about other details, and I also have the peace of mind of knowing in advance that my ears are protected. It may not make sense for everyone else, but it works for me .... and that’s the bottom line for each of us, isn’t it?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WildBill wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:06 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:56 am
Liberty wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:41 am Whenever I see the words "Best Gun", "Best Ammo" or "Best Caliber", I typically just shake my head and do a facepalm.
That is one reason why I gave up reading gun magazines years ago.
You just use clips now? :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:47 am

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Well, with the suppressor and subsonics, it’s not even the last thing I worry about; in fact I don’t worry about it at all. Just my 2¢.

I do understand where you guys are coming from, but I already have a very noticeable hearing deficit and my ears ring fairly loudly all the time. I am also a musician, and protecting what’s left of my hearing is very important to me. The biggest impact on my hearing was a single event - a ND I had inside my house back in the mid-1990s. My hearing has never been the same since. Overly loud noises, particularly in a certain register, now actually cause me physical pain in my ears if I don’t put on good hearing protection. For instance, when one of my grandkids shrieks real loud, where most adults would merely cringe, me it actually causes me pain. Imagine having to react to a home invasion and defend yourself while someone blew salt into your eyes. It would be like that for me - except its my ears. If you had advance knowledge that, in the event of a home invasion, your eyes would be not just “at risk”, but actually targeted, you’d protect them, no? That’s how I treat my ears, and I don’t want to have to fumble around in the dark for earpro, no matter how fast I can find them and put them on. I’d rather just start off not needing it in the first place. So by keeping a large framed pistol stoked with lots of subsonic ammo and a suppressor mounted, I don’t even have to think about other details, and I also have the peace of mind of knowing in advance that my ears are protected. It may not make sense for everyone else, but it works for me .... and that’s the bottom line for each of us, isn’t it?
I agree about the hearing issues, not that I have supressor but I do keep a set of muffs right under the shotgun on the wall. Even if I didn't have time to grab them and had to use the 12 without them or any of my pistols without them, it would still be preferable to using an AR with a brake that even with ear pro you can feel the blast and rattles my teeth. If I had to fire it inside without ear pro in fairly certain I'd lose a large percentage of my hearing if not all of it at once.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”