Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Best Gun for Home Defense

Post by Paladin »

One Special Forces soldier's opinion of the best gun for home defense:

There's a lot of bravado there, but he makes some solid points about the strengths and weakness of various firearms.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

03Lightningrocks

Re: Best Gun for Home Defense

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

He is something else, isn't he? LOL... But, he does make valid points. I have thought about the very same limitations he mentions.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

On the low percentage shot the limitation is real, I'd not likely take that shot no matter what I was armed with. I seriously doubt that the BG would be a nice still target while holding someone. As for the range with the buckshot I keep loaded range isn't an issue. I have killed deer with a 20 gauge and buckshot with one shot from farther than his test shot was.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cyphertext »

His bias against the shotgun only proved one thing... birdshot is for birds.

Allons

Post by Allons »

Inside the house, I'll take my tactical Mossberg 930 spx with alternating slug and 00 buckshot any day of the week.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

rotor

Post by rotor »

Maverick 88 18", #4 buckshot. Anyone that would have grabbed my wife would already be dead as she would have shot them.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I worry more about setting up a “ kill” zone. Frankly , I could be using a pellet gun and a Bad Guy is not making it in my bedroom.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I’d be OK with pistol, AR, or shotgun, but my biggest fear is actually doing more damage to my hearing by discharging a gun inside my house, which is why my primary HD weapon has become a suppressed G17 loaded with 147 grain subsonics. All my ARs can also be suppressed, but they’re still a lot louder than the suppressed pistol. And like Medley86, I wouldn’t take the low percentage shot with either a pistol or rifle unless there was no other alternative.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Any firearms that can place the impacts where you need them is the best defense weapon.
Now, in daylight, I will run for my AK, at night, I have to do with my HK P30 with TLR-2.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

AndyC wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:07 pm For me, whatever happens to be closest. It's my responsibility to be aware of their strengths and limitations, as well as that of the ammo, and to be able to operate each as fluently as I can.
:iagree: Glock 17 is the closest, but right next to it is a suppressed SBR. I have learned the hard way I want be clearing my house or going outside. I will hunker down in my bedroom and call 911 while watching the cameras. If the can break through my bedroom door then plan B. We have no children at home anymore and when the grandkids are here we all sleep together. :thumbs2:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

AndyC wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:07 pm For me, whatever happens to be closest. It's my responsibility to be aware of their strengths and limitations, as well as that of the ammo, and to be able to operate each as fluently as I can.
:iagree:
I have one firearm that I carry and with which I train. I know my firearm's capabilities and I know my own. Works for me. You decide which tool/tools is/are best for you. One size does not fit all.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Learned a long time ago. DOTS and DOTI. Depends on the situation and Depends on the individual.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Whenever I see the words "Best Gun", "Best Ammo" or "Best Caliber", I typically just shake my head and do a facepalm.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Liberty wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:41 am Whenever I see the words "Best Gun", "Best Ammo" or "Best Caliber", I typically just shake my head and do a facepalm.
:iagree:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”