Must Barrell Ends Be Threaded To Accept A Suppressor?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Must Barrell Ends Be Threaded To Accept A Suppressor?

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Abraham,

I also have a MP15-22 there is a flash hider threaded on, BUT I have been warned to remove with care. S&W has those buggers on there very tight - make sure to put the barrel in a vice block and not just the receiver, you only want the flash hider to move and not the barrel. I have not removed mine yet to run a rim fire suppressor on it, but do have a threaded .22 pistol that I have. fun to shoot
NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:21 pm TAM,

Thanks for the link and other info. Very helpful.

Medley,

A nielson device?

Invented by Leslie I assume?

Ok, I kid, I kid.

Never heard of a nielson device, but I'll look it up and thanks.
A Neilson device - also called a Piston - is necessary for suppressing a semiauto pistol....unless the barrel is pinned in place and it’s a straight blow-back design. But virtually all modern commonly carried semiautos, including your Glock, unlock the barrel from the slide before the slide can go into recoil, by causing the chamber end to tilt downward out of battery, and the muzzle to tilt upward, relative to the frame. This action cannot take place if a suppressor is added to the muzzle end without a Neilsen device. Without it, the weight of the suppressor keeps the barrel locked to the slide because the barrel cannot tilt, slide recoil does not happen, the spent case is not ejected, and another round is not loaded. Your pistol becomes a single-shot.

The Piston (easier to type than “Neilson device”) allows the muzzle to tilt up inside the suppressor, without breaking the seal at the rear. Once you actually see one, you’ll understand the mechanics, which are quite simple. If you take my Rugged Obsidian45 suppressor as an example, which I generally keep mounted on a G17, the object with the “sprocket” on its end at the left end of the baffle stack in this picture is the Piston:

The Piston usually has a spring that goes around the outside of it, as in this picture of a 3-lug mount piston. This spring is what allows movement of the barrel inside the suppressor:

Here is the Piston without the spring, which would normally fit like a sleeve around the outside of the piston:

If you want to attach that suppressor to a long gun, you need a fixed spacer to replace the spring, otherwise you risk a baffle strike. I use one when I want to put my pistol suppressor on my Keltec Sub-2000, which takes Glock 17 magazines:

Alternatively, if I were going to use the suppressor exclusively on a pistol caliber carbine instead of a pistol, I’d probably use the fixed mount instead of the combined piston/sleeve:

What’s VERY important to remember is that, just because I can mount a PISTOL suppressor onto a carbine by using a fixed spacer, that pistol suppressor in all likelihood will not handle the pressures of a rifle cartridge. My Rugged Obsidian45 will handle full automatic pistol calibers up to .45 ACP and .300 Blackout subsonics ..... but NOT .300 Blackout supersonics. (I have no idea if it would handle magnum pistol pressures, such as in a .44 magnum Desert Eagle.)

If you’re buying a pistol suppressor, it will NOT last long on your LE6920, and will blow apart fairly quickly, even though the diameter will accommodate a rifle bullet. If you put a rifle-rated suppressor on your pistol, it has to have large enough pass-through in the baffles and endcaps to handle the pistol bullet diameters. Remember that a .308” (7.62mm) rifle suppressor will not accommodate a .355” (9mm) bullet.

I’m not very familiar with other brands of pistol suppressors, but I assume that most of them offer features very similar to the above. I hope this is helpful to you.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

Thanks again, but now my head hurts trying to digest all that.

I gotta go lie down...

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I just cannot think of a reason to get a silencer. I am not a hit man. :coolgleamA:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

There are some submachine guns (notably H&K MP5's) that have 3 lugs on the barrel that are made for attaching a silencer. There are also some silencer manufacturers that make quick disconnect adapters for silencers that attach to the barrel threading and then allow quick connect/disconnect. Tom Bowers out of Oregon makes some, I believe. He also does rebuilds of old suppressors too. I have an old 9mm two stage SWD suppressor that I bought with a machine gun in 2002. This kind used rubber "wipes" in the end cap that had to be replace and the ATF made difficult to procure. I sent it to Tom about a year ago and he rebuilt it completely and added a wipeless cap for less than the cost of a stamp. Check Bowers out on subguns.net .
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:52 pm I just cannot think of a reason to get a silencer. I am not a hit man. :coolgleamA:
No need for ears (depending on caliber). Try it, it’s awesome... :mrgreen:
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Abraham wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:56 pm TAM,

Thanks again, but now my head hurts trying to digest all that.

I gotta go lie down...
TAM, nice write-up, well done! Thanks!! :tiphat:

Abraham, thanks for starting this thread!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:52 pm I just cannot think of a reason to get a silencer. I am not a hit man. :coolgleamA:
After you’ve shot with one for a while, the reason becomes self-evident. You’ll never go back. They aren’t actually silencers, although that is the legal term. If it knocks 35-40 decibels off, it is still a pretty loud noise ... as in not really hearing safe with supersonic ammo if you do it a LOT. It doesn’t sound anything like in the movies. There’s no “pew pew”, unless you’re shooting subsonic ammo, and even then it is louder than a “pew”. It can make a 9mm or .45 sound like a .22 Short, but it’s nowhere near silent.

But over the long haul, your ears with thank you....and so will the ears of the shooters in the other lanes next to you.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Abraham »

I don't own any suppressors, (looking into it) but I shot a .300 Black Out suppressed a kind man offered at the range and it was a marvel of quiet in comparison to what it must sound like not suppressed...

Plus, if you shoot in your back yard (I have for years with a special 4' X 4' target box I built with landscaping timbers and plywood. filled with compacted dirt) Fortunately all my neighbors are gun folk and tolerate my shooting, yes, no they're not terribly close...I have a big back yard and we're well out in the country, but when shooting an AR it would be nice not to subject them to the noise or my the noise of my G19 for that matter.

In addition, I never shoot on the week-end, but keep it mid-week no sooner that 10:00 A.M. Most are working away from home by then, but of course not all.

I'd really like to suppress all I shoot in my back yard more for them than me...

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

Sitting on a deer stand right now, and if suppressors were to be deregulated the 270 that I have with me would have a can screwed on it. It wouldn't make it quiet but it might at least take a little of the bang out so my ears wouldn't ring the rest of the day after a shot.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

One possible solution found today at DFW Gun show.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”