Must Barrell Ends Be Threaded To Accept A Suppressor?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 8

Must Barrell Ends Be Threaded To Accept A Suppressor?

Post by Abraham »

I assume they do, but (I've looked, unsuccessfully) is there an adapter for un-threaded/smooth end barrels that can be used making threads unnecessary?

Or, has such a thing yet to be invented?

Thanks!

tomneal
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Must Barrell Ends Be Threaded To Accept A Suppressor?

Post by tomneal »

There are some flash hider / suppressor combinations that work on rifles. I guess the flash hider could be attached without threading.

Or were you thinking of hand guns?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

tomneal ,

Thanks for your response.

Once I get the tax stamp, which I've yet to do, but first want to see if the non-thread adapter item/items I'm looking for exists for a Colt LE6920, Glock 19 and a S&W 15-22.

I say stamp, I'm woefully uneducated regarding such.

Would you know if I need one for each gun or is one all that's necessary?

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

You can buy a drop in threaded barrel for the G19 (I have one for my G17. Lone Wolfe's chamber was too tight so I had them ream it out.)

The 2 AR appearing rifles may already have threading for the flash hider
See you at the range

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Middle Age Russ »

The issue with coming up with an adapter for a sound suppressor is maintaining concentricity with the bore well enough to prevent baffle strikes within the suppressor.

Do your Colt 6920 and S&W 15-22 not have a muzzle device (flash suppressor) on them already? If so, they are likely affixed via threads and possibly also pinned if the barrel length is less than 16". If these barrels are bare and don't have muzzle devices on them, it may be time to get them threaded or source new uppers with threaded barrels. I presume that an adapter that fits over the muzzle end of the barrel could be engineered, but some mechanism to ensure proper alignment with the bore is required.

The answer for the Glock is an aftermarket drop-in barrel with threads. I can't really think of a way that an adapter would work in this case since the muzzle end of the barrel fits fairly closely within the front of the slide.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Thanks to you both.

Yes, my AR's have flash suppressors that are threaded on. I'd forgotten that, and don't know if they're pinned. I don't think so though. I'll look if such is apparent visually. I wasn't certain the suppressor threads would necessarily match. I've run into fine threads vs. coarse surprising me and hampering me in other things. As you may be able to tell, my aptitude in things mechanical is nil, however SWBO is, my little engineer. Honey, I need you to please fix this...whad da ya call it thingie...yeah, that's it. Thanks!

Yes, I know I can buy a drop in threaded barrel for a G19, but wondered if an adapter of some sort, if available, might cost less, by a bunch, maybe...

Plus, I've read, probably here, a number of folks buying drop in non-OEM barrels run into fitting properly problems, like Tom did and others.

Will one tax stamp be all I need for multiple firearms or multiple suppressors?

Thanks again!

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I’d stay away from any adaptor that purports to allow you to put a suppressor on a non-threaded barrel. As noted the issue is concentricity to the bore and the risk of baffle strikes if it’s not perfect.

Your Colt and S&W 15-22 will both be threaded 1/2x28. If you’re using a .22 specific can on the 15-22 you’ll need a spacer as S&W hasn’t figured out that the industry spec for rim fire cans is a thread length of .400” vs . the .600” of 5.56 guns. That said the spacers are easy to come by and cheap.

The Glock would just be a drop in barrel as mentioned. I’m a big fan of the SilencerCo barrels, they’re well made and I haven’t seen one yet that had any fit issues. You can usually find them on Brownells or similar sites for $150 or less. As a note it will also have 1/2x28 threads on it.

Another drop in barrel company I’ve been very pleased with is Rim Country Manufacturing. They make barrels for HK guns and their products are awesome. Know you didn’t ask about HK, but wanted to include it for anyone looking.

One stamp per suppressor or in the case of a SBR one stamp per receiver. Once you have the stamp(s)/cans in hand you can put them on whatever gun you want.

Here is a good read/resource for common thread pitches and manufacturers.
Last edited by SigM4 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

One stamp per suppressor.
See you at the range

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Abraham wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:06 pm Will one tax stamp be all I need for multiple firearms or multiple suppressors?
Unfortunately, its a unconstitutional tax stamp for each item you wish to possess. And that stamp is only good for that one item / serial number. Lose the item and the stamp become toilet paper.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Thanks everyone.

One stamp for every suppressor, eh.

A cash cow fer da guberment.

Good thing, I'm fabulously wealthy!!

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Abraham wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:46 pm Thanks everyone.

One stamp for every suppressor, eh.

A cash cow fer da guberment.

Good thing, I'm fabulously wealthy!!
Just be thankful that the 1934 NFA (National Firearms Act) neglected to include a provision for the stamps to be tied to inflation. As a result what was essentially a sum that dissuaded most from pursing a stamp back then has become a minor annoyance to us today.

To that same end the revenue from tax stamps today in no way offsets the amount of money the ATF NFA branch spends managing the process of background checks and issuance of them. Getting rid of the process would actually be a cash positive move for the government these days.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

SigM4,

Excellent point and one I hadn't considered.

Thanks!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:21 pm tomneal ,

Thanks for your response.

Once I get the tax stamp, which I've yet to do, but first want to see if the non-thread adapter item/items I'm looking for exists for a Colt LE6920, Glock 19 and a S&W 15-22.

I say stamp, I'm woefully uneducated regarding such.

Would you know if I need one for each gun or is one all that's necessary?
If your colt came with a standard A2 type flashhider threaded onto the end of the barrel, you can either (A) remove it and thread on the suppressor in its place, which will make it a more or less permanent installation, OR (B) you can mount a flashhider/muzzlebrake in place of the original, that will accept the suppressor onto it. (B) is probably what most AR owners do. It’s what I did for all of my suppressors.

As far as your G19 goes, you can get drop in threaded barrels for cheap. I have one each for my G19 and G17, and keep a suppressor mounted on my G17 most of the time. Here’s the one I bought for my G19: https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=939. It was $99.95, compared to the $159.95 they’re charging for other barrels for the same gun on the same site. It dropped right in, and shoots just fine.

I’ve just looked at pictures of the LE6920, and yes, you have a threaded barrel, with a threaded on flashhider, so you’re good to go.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Medley86
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Medley86 »

I do have an adapter for my 10/22 that slides over the barrel and has lock nuts behind the front sight that I have used with a friend's supressor. It has standard 1/2 x 28 threads on the adapter. I don't think I would trust it on anything more powerful than a 22 though. As for the glock you also have to put a nielson device between the barrel and supressor for the gun to be able to unlock correctly. If that last statement is incorrect someone more knowledge than I please correct me, I have never fired a suppressed pistol and have not done significant research into it.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

Thanks for the link and other info. Very helpful.

Medley,

A nielson device?

Invented by Leslie I assume?

Ok, I kid, I kid.

Never heard of a nielson device, but I'll look it up and thanks.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”