Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Sketch borders for Dremel with pencil?

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

If one were to want to customize their polymer handgun, is it safe to use a standard #2 pencil to draw out borders to be etched with a dremel? I didn't think that pencil could cause problems with the frame or internals, especially when cleaning before reassembly, but I thought I should ask around before drawing all over anything.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

DocV
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sketch borders for Dremel with pencil?

Post by DocV »

Ordinary pencil "lead" is graphite. It should be fine to use. Not sure about that Dremel though ;)

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

DocV wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:11 pm Ordinary pencil "lead" is graphite. It should be fine to use. Not sure about that Dremel though ;)
That all depends on the hands of the user -- I hope mine can be trained to be steady enough! Lots of practice is due.

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cmgee67 »

I’ve used a pencil many times tracing boarders for stippling polymer “tools”. Works well. I also advise that you get some painters tape and tape the boarders if you can. The straight edges of the tape will help you make sure that you stay in the area your trying to work. It can also save you from making a dodo bird marks by slipping or getting tired. For practice I learned on magpul p mags. Keep in mind that different polymers stipple different. Start with light pressure and test the texture of that spot before you continue to see if it gives you the desired feel. Good luck

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

Dremel has a really cool little tool that you could use to do etching and such....I've looked at it a couple of times, it's not a lot, but I just haven't been able to splurge for it quite yet.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

cmgee67 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:49 pm I’ve used a pencil many times tracing boarders for stippling polymer “tools”. Works well. I also advise that you get some painters tape and tape the boarders if you can. The straight edges of the tape will help you make sure that you stay in the area your trying to work. It can also save you from making a dodo bird marks by slipping or getting tired. For practice I learned on magpul p mags. Keep in mind that different polymers stipple different. Start with light pressure and test the texture of that spot before you continue to see if it gives you the desired feel. Good luck
I’ve seen the tape and hadn’t really thought of it. Thanks for the reminder!
Also, I’ve been practicing on a PMag already, the stipple makes it a lot easier to hold on to, I was surprised

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

SewTexas wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:55 pm Dremel has a really cool little tool that you could use to do etching and such....I've looked at it a couple of times, it's not a lot, but I just haven't been able to splurge for it quite yet.
I have a dremel 200 with a flex shaft, and I got the etching bit set which has multiple sizes of engraving cutters (https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/- ... essory-kit)

I think all three can be had for around $100, especially with Black Friday coming up

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

TexasJohnBoy wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:27 pm
SewTexas wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:55 pm Dremel has a really cool little tool that you could use to do etching and such....I've looked at it a couple of times, it's not a lot, but I just haven't been able to splurge for it quite yet.
I have a dremel 200 with a flex shaft, and I got the etching bit set which has multiple sizes of engraving cutters (https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/- ... essory-kit)

I think all three can be had for around $100, especially with Black Friday coming up
that may be the one I saw, I can't remember now.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

SewTexas wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:14 am
TexasJohnBoy wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:27 pm

that may be the one I saw, I can't remember now.
Ah, this is the one I saw.
https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/- ... craft-tool
~Tracy

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”