David French - Why I carry a gun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Re: David French - Why I carry a gun

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

bbhack wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:51 pm I'm just going to throw this on the table. The DMCA (as an example) has serious consequences for filing false reports (it's perjury). People who file false reports, in bad faith, are bad people, and deserve to be prosecuted to the full extent possible.
My issue with it all is that the term "mentally defective" is subjective. For every Dr that says one is, there is another one who will say the same person isn't. Having a mental illness diagnosis is not like being diagnosed with the flue.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:51 pm
bbhack wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:51 pm I'm just going to throw this on the table. The DMCA (as an example) has serious consequences for filing false reports (it's perjury). People who file false reports, in bad faith, are bad people, and deserve to be prosecuted to the full extent possible.
My issue with it all is that the term "mentally defective" is subjective. For every Dr that says one is, there is another one who will say the same person isn't. Having a mental illness diagnosis is not like being diagnosed with the flue.
In the old Soviet Union, many dissidents were taken off the streets and instititutionalized on the grounds that you’d have to be insane to disagree with the goals and methods of the gov’t.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:18 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:51 pm
In the old Soviet Union, many dissidents were taken off the streets and instititutionalized on the grounds that you’d have to be insane to disagree with the goals and methods of the gov’t.
Exactly!

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Maxwell »

Archery1 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:54 am
oohrah wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:53 am
Jago668 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:34 am It was a good article until it got to support for red flag laws.
To protect ourselves from being denied our rights when we have done nothing wrong, we need to find a way to move the dialog in this direction, instead of just opposing laws that only affect the good guys.
I fully agree that we need policies and laws in place that keep guns away from certain people. But, at the same time, we need to be careful how we accept those policies and laws.

It doesn't seem uncommon now to read lawmakers stating that some proposed law is a little overreaching, but, it is not intended for or will affect law-abiding citizen. It will only be used as a necessary tool to address the law-breakers. In other words, it's their tool to use as they see fit to apply.
Archery1,

Can you clarify the bolded statement above? It sounds like you might believe that these types of laws would not be used against law-abiding citizens.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Paladin »

The major threat from mental illness seems to come from psychotic individuals who can not distinguish their fantasies from reality. While schizophrenics many recover with treatment, about 25% never recover.
Approximately 200,000 individuals with schizophrenia or manic-depressive illness are homeless, constituting one-third of the approximately 600,000 homeless population...At any given time, there are more people with untreated severe psychiatric illnesses living on America’s streets than are receiving care in hospitals. Approximately 90,000 individuals with schizophrenia or manic-depressive illness are in hospitals receiving treatment for their disease.
The most direct answer to psychotic violence would seem to be early diagnosis and improved treatment. Not counting the cost in human life, schizophrenia is costing at least $63B/year.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

bbhack
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bbhack »

There were reasons for deinstitutionalization of the dangerous mentally ill. One, the failure to accept they they were really a danger to others, and another, asylums were ghastly places. For some on the left, perhaps, the havoc caused by deinstitutionalization is not an unintended consequence.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

Maxwell wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:54 pm
Archery1 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:54 am
oohrah wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:53 am
Jago668 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:34 am It was a good article until it got to support for red flag laws.
To protect ourselves from being denied our rights when we have done nothing wrong, we need to find a way to move the dialog in this direction, instead of just opposing laws that only affect the good guys.
I fully agree that we need policies and laws in place that keep guns away from certain people. But, at the same time, we need to be careful how we accept those policies and laws.

It doesn't seem uncommon now to read lawmakers stating that some proposed law is a little overreaching, but, it is not intended for or will affect law-abiding citizen. It will only be used as a necessary tool to address the law-breakers. In other words, it's their tool to use as they see fit to apply.
Archery1,

Can you clarify the bolded statement above? It sounds like you might believe that these types of laws would not be used against law-abiding citizens.
On the contrary, I was trying to say that it's becoming more common to hear lawmakers and pundits describe proposed laws as, yes, a "little broad", but their intentions are not to wholly enforce but just to have on hand for use as needed. This is a dangerous way to look at lawmaking. Phrases like "we don't intend to go after the law abiding folks, just the ones who openly break the law", never minding that the law itself put everyone in jeopardy of being in the same bucket. "We don't intend to wholly enforce" seems to be the salve to make the proposal seem fairly imposed.

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MaduroBU »

We absolutely still have insane asylums, and they're worse than ever before. Now we call them "prisons". We were distraught by "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" so we traded that for "Oz".

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

MaduroBU wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 am We absolutely still have insane asylums, and they're worse than ever before. Now we call them "prisons". We were distraught by "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" so we traded that for "Oz".
This! 6% of Schizophrenics live in jails or prisons

County jails are now some of our largest mental health facilities.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

bbhack wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:42 pm For some on the left, perhaps, the havoc caused by deinstitutionalization is not an unintended consequence.
If someone wanted to create problems for society like increasing the number of homeless, increasing rates of violent and non-violent crime, and increasing expensive Emergency Room visits, then deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill would certainly have been the perfect plan. The reaction to mentally ill people roaming the streets is increased calls for welfare, higher crime rates leading to attacks on our fundamental rights, and higher healthcare costs leading to support for socialized healthcare for all. Problem Reaction Solution
The American Psychiatric Association estimated in 2000 that one in five prisoners were seriously mentally ill, with up to 5 percent actively psychotic at any given moment...Many individuals with schizophrenia revolve between hospitals, jails and shelters.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”