308 deer rifle?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

308 deer rifle?

Post by cmgee67 »

I Am trying to save my pennies to buy a new deer rifle for 2019 deer season next fall. I am thinking 308. I have been really looking at the Henry Single shot in 308. Beautiful gun and from what I hear super accurate. I am also looking at the TC compass and Ruger American. I like the look and idea of how traditional the Henry is. I’m kind of that way. It is only one shot but out of all the deer I’ve shot I’ve only ever needed one. In fact I used to bird hunt with a single shot shotgun.The TC compass from all reviews I’ve seen is a sub moa gun out of box with the right ammo and it’s a little cheaper than the Henry. It’s fed from a box magazine. Great value. The Ruger American is another great value based gun but I have heard them having feeding issues with the magazines? Maybe that was early
Guns. I know savage has some nice guns for around the same price point. I’m all ears. What are y’all shootin

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 308 deer rifle?

Post by WildBill »

Remington 700
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I have the Ruger American 308 with a stainless barrel. Mine shoots great. Never had any feeding issues, and it shoots a ragged hole at 100 yards, using Hornady match grade 168 grain.
For the price, I don't think you can go wrong with the Ruger. I have no experience with the Henry or the TC, so I can't comment on them.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bfm1851

Post by bfm1851 »

Savage rifles are another choice. Not to expensive and very accurate out of the box.

uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by uthornsfan »

I bought a used Ruger M77 Hawkeye with a Redfield 3x9 scope attached that worked amazing. I think I paid $250 for it. I have since upgraded the stock (Boyds) and scope (Silver Prostaff 5 3.5-14).

I wouldn't trade it for anything, easily a sub-moa gun.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the newer .308

Savage Axis, Ruger American, Remington ADL or 770. Savage was probably 2nd on my list because of the Accu-trigger.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

First on the caliber. .308 is an excellent choice for anywhere and any Texas deer. I personally really like that caliber.
I have 2. Ruger Gunsite Scout. That is my favorite gun, shooter, I like it.
I have another. Remington 700. Both high quality hunting rifles.

You asked for opinions so here is mine. All opinions are personal therefor may not fit you.
I have never owned or shot a Henry but know some that own them. High quality arms. Accurate and good shooters. I totally agree on the statement you made that single shot is good option. I too started my bird hunting as a teen w/ a single shot Winchester 16 ga.
I have never owned or shot a Thompson. I understand they also are excellent out of the box accuracy.
Savage I have owned and shot. Excellent out of the box trigger and accuracy. Personal opinion I have never like the feel of a Savage stock.
You have several good quality firearms offered here and I don't think you can go wrong w/ any that are named.
Save your $$s, enjoy the shopping and talking to other hunters and :fire :fire .
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

How much are you willing to spend?

I have this Howa 1500 in 308 taken out of the box for the photos. I am selling it brand new. PM me for info.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7c7ECoZxn5QGMA4q6
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The .308 is a great choice of caliber. It probably has more factory load options than any caliber other than the 30-06. As for your choice of rifles, I think you should handle as many rifles as possible while keeping in mind things such as weight, comfort/cheek weld when shouldering, ease of trigger pull adjustment, etc. You have listed several good choices and others have too that will certainly do for hunting purposes. In passing I'll mention this; if you're on a budget consider buying a used rifle. Good luck!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

That Howa Beiruty has is a nice rifle. I own both a Remington 700 and a Ruger Gunsite scout in .308. Of the two, the Ruger is the more practical hunting rifle, as the Remington is more of a precision rifle and is quite long and heavy.

Also, Henry offers a model called the “Long Ranger”, which is a box-magazine fed lever action, chambered in .308, as well as .223 and .243.
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

But honestly, unless you’re hunting really big mulies in west Texas, over flatter land and longer ranges, I think a .30-30 is plenty enough gun for a deer hunt. I don’t know when is the next time I’ll be able to go hunting, but I’ll probably bring my .30-30 when I do. That said, if I were going to buy another .308 (as if 2 bolt guns and a semiauto in .308 weren’t enough), I’d be pretty curious about this Henry. And, at an MSRP of $1066, they are in roughly the same price range as the Browning BLR, which is a similar platform, if you’d rather have a Browning.

https://www.browning.com/products/firea ... ction.html

Anyway, you get the best of both worlds - a lever action, with a box magazine, chambered in .308
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

I bought my son a Ruger American in .308 a couple of years back at Walmart for less than $200 on closeout. Couldn't tell you a thing about it though because neither of us has ever shot it. We lost our hunting lease, so he saw no need to put a scope on it.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I really like a Henry rifles. I have 3 levers in two calibers. I wish I could get more, but I tend to focus on other things a bit more at this time.

I have not had to deal with their customer service, but their reputation is outstanding.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

My son has a Mossberg in 30.06, I was actually impressed by it's accuracy, he also had a Howa 1500 in .204 it was also extremely accurate! If Beiruty makes you a good deal that Howa maybe be the way to go! Howa made rifles for Weatherby FYI
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

rotor

Post by rotor »

My only issue is single shot. What if you run into some mean hogs? How fast can you reload? All of the previous mentioned calibers are good. They say that the 30-30 has harvested more deer than any other caliber. I admit though that I am not a deer hunter but have a Ruger SR762 (.308) for hogs.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I have a TC Compass and it is definitely a 1 moa gun. I threw a Nikon scope that has the bullet drop circles specifically for .308. Sighted in quick and easy.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cmgee67 »

Right now I’ve got around 400 bones saved up and I really don’t wanna go much over that. The compass and Henry as well as savage seem to fit my ball park the best.

Glad to hear about the compass

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”