"Gritty" trigger on M&P 2.0 Compact

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 6

"Gritty" trigger on M&P 2.0 Compact

Post by bblhd672 »

I have a full size M&P 2.0 5" and also a compact M&P 2.0 4". When I bought the full size the trigger pull was smooth right out of the box. The compact out of the box felt rough, but I thought it would break in and be better over time. With over 1000 rounds through it, the compact's trigger pull still feels rough so evidently it's not a break in issue.

My question for y'all is whether to try to send it back to S&W to have it looked at under warranty, or just pay a local gunsmith to smooth out the trigger?

Thanks for your input!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "Gritty" trigger on M&P 2.0 Compact

Post by cmgee67 »

I’ve only handled one compact and it had a good trigger and wasn’t gritty. Maybe that was just that one so I can’t speak on authority. Now the full size and 4” models also had great triggers I felt. I’d try S&W first. If they can’t do anything, Id suggest the apex trigger duty kit. Lots of folks seem to praise that trigger group.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Are you sure that the “grit” isn’t in the joints of your index finger? You’re not a spring chicken, you know. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

cmgee67 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:12 pm I’ve only handled one compact and it had a good trigger and wasn’t gritty. Maybe that was just that one so I can’t speak on authority. Now the full size and 4” models also had great triggers I felt. I’d try S&W first. If they can’t do anything, Id suggest the apex trigger duty kit. Lots of folks seem to praise that trigger group.
My full size has a great trigger, so the compact's less than great stands out. I'll reach out to S&W Customer Support and see what they say.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:12 pm Are you sure that the “grit” isn’t in the joints of your index finger? You’re not a spring chicken, you know. :mrgreen:
Funny man...you should have a blog or something! :smilelol5:

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LTUME1978 »

Don’t waste your time sending it back to S&W. I bought two of the compacts a few months after they came out. They have been back to S&W three times and nothing has been done, they just sent them back. On one phone call, the rep told me that the triggers should have a pull of 5-5 1/4 pounds. Both of mine or around 7 pounds and not smooth. I will explore other options to get the triggers din a better place.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Buy a Springfield...

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

flechero

Post by flechero »

If you haven't- clean it. It could have been dirty or had some debris in their from the factory. I note smoother triggers on almost every gun after a good clean and lube.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:33 pm Buy a Springfield...

I think you mean a Walther
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Apex drop in triggers for the M&Ps are a good choice. The M2.0 shouldn't have a bad trigger though. I'd have somebody check the trigger spring.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I selected the M&P 9mm 5inch as my EDC and the Compact for my 22 year old son and my 86 year old father. They both really like their Compacts and neither has mentioned a gritty trigger. I'd like to know what S&W says.

I've learned a lot about our M&P pistols from this S&W Forum:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

jason812 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:44 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:33 pm Buy a Springfield...

I think you mean a Walther
Lol...I've shot BC's Springfield and another guy's Walther at a training class. I liked the Walther better.

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

flechero wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:04 pm If you haven't- clean it. It could have been dirty or had some debris in their from the factory. I note smoother triggers on almost every gun after a good clean and lube.
Cleaned before shooting it and after every time I shoot it. Perhaps there might be something down inside the frame that is binding, so a trip to gunsmith for inspection and professional cleaning may be in order.
Have put the full size and the compact side by side in vises and can't see anything obviously different on the compact that would make the trigger less smooth than the full size.

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

LTUME1978 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:29 pm Don’t waste your time sending it back to S&W. I bought two of the compacts a few months after they came out. They have been back to S&W three times and nothing has been done, they just sent them back. On one phone call, the rep told me that the triggers should have a pull of 5-5 1/4 pounds. Both of mine or around 7 pounds and not smooth. I will explore other options to get the triggers din a better place.
That's not good to hear. Thanks.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I have looked mine over well, cleaned them and lubed them with Royal Purple synthetic oil that I use on my other pistols. These pistol are accurate (firing slowly) and there is a lot to like about them other than the trigger (which S&W advertised would be improved over the 1.0 versions). If the trigger can be improved, they will be good pistols. Just frustrated that S&W did not deliver what was promised and after three trips to the factory (on their nickel) they still could not make any improvements.

Dan Burwell did trigger jobs on all of my 1.0's and they are great after his work but I don't think he is working on pistols any longer.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”