Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
74novaman
Posts in topic: 47

Re: Switching to wheel guns this year

Post by 74novaman »

surferdaddy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:49 pm
Loving the return to wheel gun pocket carry. With its diminutive weight it is effortless reliable carry.
Only 1 out of the 5 guns I'm using for this year could really be considered a viable pocket carry option. I don't plan on using it much.

While an LCP seems to conceal in a pocket okay, I've always struggled with how big a revolver looks/feels in a pocket. Add in that I don't wear cargo pants and hate things in my back pocket, and pocket carry limits me to one other pocket to carry everything else (keys, wallet, phone....now I don't have room for a reload....).

It's an option, but I'm not nearly as fond of it as I used to be back when I tended to wear baggier pants with more pockets.

Speaking of reliable, I did drag out my old pocket carry LCP to the range at the start of the month just to see if it would reliably go bang after a 2 1/2 months of being in my pocket or in the gun drawer....All 7 rounds fired, no failures or misfeeds. I know some people have had reliability issues with their LCP but every time I've tried that little test on mine it has done well.
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Still waiting on my 627 and 637 to get back from the smith.

Round 2 of parts needed to finish the Ruger rear sight are supposedly inbound (first shipment didn't have two pieces needed to finish the rear sight still).

Because I've been stuck with only two out of the planned five guns I was hoping to work with this year and it's looking like February before everything is back in my hands, I'm pushing this experiment one more month and I'll carry revolvers through January of 2020 as well.

Think I might keep a log of what revolver I carry each day for the year when I have all the options available. Might be interesting to see what gun got carried the most/least.
TANSTAAFL

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

I absolutely love carrying a wheel gun. I’ve gotten rid of them all sadly except for one. I really loved my 642 but I found that in the Texas summer my sweat corroded the aluminum frame pretty bad. I kept oil on it too. Maybe one like the 340pd that’s coated would make a difference. I’d have to either go to a gun like the lcr or an all stainless if I went back. I figured if I’m carrying polymer I might as well carry more rounds. Thus the shield was chosen.

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

cmgee67 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:43 pm I figured if I’m carrying polymer I might as well carry more rounds. Thus the shield was chosen.
I'm trying to fix that issue too. :biggrinjester:

Spent today dry firing and trying out a possible way to carry moon clips outside of competition: a speedloader/moonclip holder from Simply Rugged holsters.

These concealed easily under my usual attire of an untucked collared shirt, and I was able to reload quicker than with how I had been carrying a reload (speedloader in the pocket) as well.

21 rounds on hand doesn't make me feel very deficient in the "carry lots of ammo" school of thought.

TANSTAAFL

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I hear you. When I carried my wheels guns I always carried two speed strips along with what was in the gun. I practiced extensively and was very quick on my reloads. I never felt under gunned. But the shield lets me carry the 15 rounds just as easy. I still like wheel guns over semi autos tho. I do carry a NAA wasp mini revolver in 22mag in my front pocket In A desantis holster as my backup. So I guess I still carry a revolver and it’s single action at that.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

74novaman wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:58 pm Spent today dry firing and trying out a possible way to carry moon clips outside of competition: a speedloader/moonclip holder from Simply Rugged holsters.

These concealed easily under my usual attire of an untucked collared shirt, and I was able to reload quicker than with how I had been carrying a reload (speedloader in the pocket) as well.

21 rounds on hand doesn't make me feel very deficient in the "carry lots of ammo" school of thought.

74novaman, a couple of questions....

First, is that the Performance Center Model 19 K-Comp? She’s go-jiss!

Second, where did you get the moon clip carriers? I’ve got to find one that will fit an 8-round moon clip for the TRR8.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:38 am 74novaman, a couple of questions....

First, is that the Performance Center Model 19 K-Comp? She’s go-jiss!

Second, where did you get the moon clip carriers? I’ve got to find one that will fit an 8-round moon clip for the TRR8.
Close, that's a 586 L Comp from the PC. 7 shot L frame instead of a 6 shot K like the 19.

I got them from Simply Rugged. https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/ ... parent=671

They claim to fit up to 8 shot. If I can cram my 7 shot moons in there, I don't see why the 8s wouldn't fit.

I'd try it for you but my 627 is with the smith still so I don't currently have any of my 8 shot moons loaded.
TANSTAAFL

The Annoyed Man

Thanks for the link!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

74novaman 0 It's good to see you posting again :tiphat:
I still like my Colt Detective Special and my Kramer Leather MSP.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Thanks Bill!

Got the 627 and 637 back from the smith, got my parts in from Ruger for the rear sight on the LCRx, so I’m up and running again.

New GoPro comes in Tuesday so video quality is going to improve too.

Hopefully I’ll get to the range this weekend and shoot some more drills.
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

So I mostly did this as a joke for a thread gone off the rails about the usefulness of red dots on pistols on another forum...

but now that it's together it's kind of growing on me.

If I can find a holster for it anyway.

TANSTAAFL

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

74novaman wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:39 pm So I mostly did this as a joke for a thread gone off the rails about the usefulness of red dots on pistols on another forum...

but now that it's together it's kind of growing on me.

If I can find a holster for it anyway.

Hmm. Interesting. I kinda like it.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Finally finding time this weekend to shoot a match. IDPA, so I'll be using the M10 and Comp3s.

Six total stages, two of which require 18 rounds, and another two that require 17.

This is exactly the sort of challenge I was looking for by switching to revolver this year. A single miss on two stages means an extra reload, while another two stages allow for only one make up shot before I'm forced into an extra reload. Should be a good under stress no fail drill.

I'm also excited to shoot this one because my new GoPro got here this week, so I should have some higher quality video of whatever happens.
TANSTAAFL

boxermoose
Posts in topic: 3

Post by boxermoose »

Just picked up a nifty Kimber K6 for pocket and cross draw carry. Sweet little wheelie

The Annoyed Man

boxermoose wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:07 pm Just picked up a nifty Kimber K6 for pocket and cross draw carry. Sweet little wheelie
Those are nice looking guns. Which version did you get?

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”