Remington UMC 9mm issue

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
southernscope86
Posts in topic: 2

Remington UMC 9mm issue

Post by southernscope86 »

Took the new M&P 2.0c to the range today. All was going well when I experienced what i thought was a failure to feed. After a quick tap and rack that failed. I had to further inspect. It is hard to see from the picture but the round had a primer strike, discharged, upon extraction the extractor dug into the side of the brass. After notifying the RO we moved over to the empty lanes and begin extracting what we assumed at the time a live round.

After getting the round out of the chamber, the bullet was still seated in the case and primer was struck. I have never had a issue with UMC and the rest of the 250 pack ran perfect.
Attachments
Stuck round
Stuck round

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Remington UMC 9mm issue

Post by Jago668 »

I stopped by the Winchester white box, and the Remington white and green box ammo. I kept having way to many problems with them. Failures to fire, bullets not seated deep enough, or seated too deep. Been using the Federal aluminum case stuff (obviously i don't reload), no problems out of about 3,000 rounds. The Winchester steel case stuff has been good so far too, but is dirty (as in wear gloves when using handling it.)
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
southernscope86

Post by southernscope86 »

:thumbs2:
Jago668 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:02 pm I stopped by the Winchester white box, and the Remington white and green box ammo. I kept having way to many problems with them. Failures to fire, bullets not seated deep enough, or seated too deep. Been using the Federal aluminum case stuff (obviously i don't reload), no problems out of about 3,000 rounds. The Winchester steel case stuff has been good so far too, but is dirty (as in wear gloves when using handling it.)

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I probably have 8 different brands of 9mm in stock. UMC is the only one that gives me troubles.

rotor

Post by rotor »

My favorite 9mm 115 gr is Fiocchi which happens to also be very inexpensive. GunTests.com rated Fiocchi a best buy. I reload 9mm but Fiocchi is usually on sale and almost not worth my time reloading. Usually can get 1000 rounds at a time with free shipping. Also Atwoods and Academy frequently have on sale. For those that don't know there is an app called Flipp which shows all the advertisements in your locale and is very valuable to me since I no longer get the left wing local newspaper. Easily check Walmart, Atwoods, and Academy ads ( and any other such as grocery stuff).

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

rotor wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 pm My favorite 9mm 115 gr is Fiocchi which happens to also be very inexpensive. GunTests.com rated Fiocchi a best buy. I reload 9mm but Fiocchi is usually on sale and almost not worth my time reloading. Usually can get 1000 rounds at a time with free shipping. Also Atwoods and Academy frequently have on sale. For those that don't know there is an app called Flipp which shows all the advertisements in your locale and is very valuable to me since I no longer get the left wing local newspaper. Easily check Walmart, Atwoods, and Academy ads ( and any other such as grocery stuff).
Try www.ammoseek.com

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

:roll: I have experienced various failures, from time to time with virtually every brand of target ammo. It is to be expected. Hard primers, incorrectly seated bullets, and even a failed casing. But realistically it's statistically insignificant. I simply treat it as an opportunity to practice malfunction clearing.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

https://freedommunitions.com

More accurate than most ammo, reliable, very consistent, and cheaper than most, even without making bulk orders. This is mail order only, so you have to buy about 300 rounds for the shipping to be cost-effective. I usually buy 500-600 rounds at a time.

:fire
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I've shot UMC with no issues in the past, in fact just finished shooting up what I had left last weekend. Practice ammo I've been buying in bulk last few months has been Sellier and Bellot, but last two bulk purchases has been Speer Lawman. Both have work flawlessly for me.

Sgammo and TargetSportsUSA are my main bulk 9mm purchase locations.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bfm1851

Post by bfm1851 »

I try to reload everything I shoot but some time the sale prices make it hard to pass up. I have not had any trouble with Remington ammo but have had issues with Winchester white box in both 9mm and .45acp. I guess no savings is worth non-reliability and even more the possible problems that could happen with a squib round.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Seems to me we all have to learn what works best for us and our tools. Winchester White box and Remington UMC have both worked flawlessly in my S&W M&P M2.0 9MM 5inch since I bought it two years ago. Also, Walmart has been cheaper than bulk for me.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

skeathley wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:18 am https://freedommunitions.com

More accurate than most ammo, reliable, very consistent, and cheaper than most, even without making bulk orders. This is mail order only, so you have to buy about 300 rounds for the shipping to be cost-effective. I usually buy 500-600 rounds at a time.

:fire
The only time I have ever witnessed squibs has been with remanufactured / reloaded ammunition. Have seen it on the line, right next to me with both 5.56 / .223 and 9mm. As a result I run only factory new, preferably brass but have also run Al casings. Factory new tends to be cleaner than remanufactured in my limited observation.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”