Not wearing holster today

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 5

Not wearing holster today

Post by Odinvalknir »

I've had my LTC for about a year now, today I'm going to the rodeo with wife and kids, and cannot carry even a knife. Feels odd, I've worn my holster and firearm nearly every day since I got my license. I'm not complaining about anything, I just find it interesting how you become accustomed to something and then feel odd when you don't have it. When did Houston rodeo go to a anti LTC policy? You'd think it would be a friendly place for us to go as far as supporting rights and the 2nd amendment.

omegaman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Not wearing holster today

Post by omegaman »

Why can't you carry a knife to the rodeo?

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

I didn't know if.you could or not, apparently it's ok to carry a knife.

PBratton
Posts in topic: 3

Post by PBratton »

You are good to carry as long as you are not going into the stadium to watch the rodeo.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

PBratton wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:48 pm You are good to carry as long as you are not going into the stadium to watch the rodeo.
No they have 30.06 and 7 signs are the fence as you enter the carnival. Plus they have you walk through a metal detector and a wand. You cannot carry anywhere on the NRG property during the rodeo. I think it's okay during football season if you are there to tailgate. But as far as the rodeo goes they made it 100% no carry during the radio a few years ago.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

when did that start? Last I went, the grounds were legal...
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The Rodeo itself is a professional sporting event, so it is statutorily prohibited, I'm not from that area, so I don't know whether the grounds are privately, or publicly owned.
The Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo, allow carry, everywhere except the arena, during the rodeo.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

PBratton wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:33 am when did that start? Last I went, the grounds were legal...
Apparently 2015ish. It is a private owned event and they have decided that the entire area is 30.06/07.
Go to this site and click on the "Open Carry" tab

https://www.rodeohouston.com/Visit-the- ... t-Services

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

I've always know that the performance within the stadium was off limits, but the fair grounds themselves were always open...

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

PBratton wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:00 pm I've always know that the performance within the stadium was off limits, but the fair grounds themselves were always open...
Yes the stadium itself is off limits. Always has been, but they changed to the WHOLE area being no-go a few years ago. They have LARGE 30.06/07 signs at the fence when you buy tickets or try to enter the carnival grounds.

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

Yup.
HLSR has been illegally posting 30.06/30.07 for a couple of years now.
NRG is county owned, and therefore, illegal to post. We all know the Rodeo itself is a prohibited place as a professional sporting event, but the grounds and carnival or not legal to be posted, but they are, and they will not let you carry in. The LEOs, as is typical, do not know or actually care about the law either, so they'll stop you. It's sad, because before, you were able to show your LTC to the LEO and go passed the people with wands.

Given that NRG and all the grounds are owned by the county, this is why it's illegal to post signs:

(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035 .

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”