Is the SIG P365 fixed?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Is the SIG P365 fixed?

Post by cmgee67 »

I am super intrigued by the P365. Ive been following it since it came out. Immediately it had lots of issues with firing pins breaking and other mechanical parts. I believe the firing pin was breaking due to over excessive striker drag. The other parts I am not sure. I want a little more capacity than my 9mm shield but don’t want to give up size or much width.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Is the SIG P365 fixed?

Post by Bitter Clinger »

One word, begins with a "G"...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:01 am One word, begins with a "G"...
[oh] Geez..... oh that wasn't it?

"Great" It's fixed?

"Good" as in GTG?

Or are you being a bit more sinister, as in a reference to "Gaston" and his little single stack plastic gun that although under reported - had multiple generations of mags, a frame change and other parts to get it working properly? :boxing

Just having some fun on a Sunday! :lol: :tiphat:

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott B. »

If you want to buy one, or not, that's completely up to you.

There's a reason it was the number one selling semi-auto pistol for 2018 and winner of several 'gun of the year' awards.

Yes, there were a few problems. Phil Strader from Sig stated "...returns for strikers and trigger return springs account[ed] for 0.25% of all P365s shipped..." and "fractured striker tip returns account[ed] for 0.08%", but that they were still striving resolve even that low number. Those are better number than the "LTC holder felonies of .39%" that we all brag about ;-)

"Striker drag" is not a problem and you'll see it on other micros.

Through my shop, we're at about 200 sold, exclusively to law enforcement. I've had one come back. To keep the customer happy I exchanged it, inspected & tested it, and immediately flipped it to another customer (as a used gun) who hadn't watched too many youtube clickbate videos.

I've shot and tested three of them at different points. For such a small gun they are comfortable to shoot with the 12 round magazines, and are surprisingly accurate. I owned one for a while but sold it to a friend who was desperate. I personally prefer a little larger carry gun but wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I need a really discrete carry gun.

I think the forthcoming (Q2/Q3) 320 X Compact / Pro Compact will be a fairly popular choice for those wanting a little larger gun. It's a sub-compact sized slide on a re-profiled 15 round X grip module. The sub-compact variant has gone away after the success of the 365.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Is the SIG P365 a Dud?

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/sig-p365-dud/

Lessons Learned
The SIG P365 was designed to fill a very specific and very important role, the concealed carry handgun. This is one of the most important roles a firearm can serve. You could be putting your life on the line by carrying a bad handgun. We’d be foolish not to be reminded of a few critical lessons.

Always test your gun. Regardless of who makes it, who’s reviewed it, and how much you love it. Take it out, load it up, and shoot the hell out of it. You need to test different types of ammo, different weights, and different projectile types. This includes cheap plinking ammo and high-end defensive ammo. You want to run that gun until you literally trust it with your life.

Always be wary of the first generation guns. Even companies known for making reliable guns tend to have growing pains. Anyone remember when Glock released the Gen 4? New guns often have new problems. This isn’t isolated to the firearms industry either. Its a problem with the auto industry, the technology industry, and of course the industrial industry. I always say the first shipments of a new gun are for beta testers…and not for me.

SIG potentially had a big embarrassment on their hands, and it would be coming right on the heels of the P320 disaster. Luckily, they seemed to jump on it right away and are attempting to make it right. Time will tell if this is the solution to the problem.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:33 pm Is the SIG P365 a Dud?

Posted February 27, 2018

A pile of awards and sales at the end of the year made Sig pretty darn happy for a 'dud' "rlol"

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Scott B. wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:05 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:33 pm Is the SIG P365 a Dud?

Posted February 27, 2018

A pile of awards and sales at the end of the year made Sig pretty darn happy for a 'dud' "rlol"
Through my shop, we're at about 200 sold,
Your bias is entirely understandable. Did you read the article?
SIG potentially had a big embarrassment on their hands, and it would be coming right on the heels of the P320 disaster. Luckily, they seemed to jump on it right away and are attempting to make it right. Time will tell if this is the solution to the problem.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:13 pm Time will tell if this is the solution to the problem.
[/quote]

Yes, I read the article. It posed a valid question 13 months ago. The balance of the year answered.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Mine has functioned flawlessly. Every new pistol enters the market with issues. I think because of the internet it was blown out of proportion. Mine does have some striker drag, but so does my Shield. I carry my P365 with the 12 round magazine. It is just about my EDC except for Sundays.

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

Awesome guys! Thanks for your responses

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Mine has been pretty darn great. No failures. Accurate in my hands. I love it.

-surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

cmgee67 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:02 am I am super intrigued by the P365. Ive been following it since it came out. Immediately it had lots of issues with firing pins breaking and other mechanical parts. I believe the firing pin was breaking due to over excessive striker drag. The other parts I am not sure. I want a little more capacity than my 9mm shield but don’t want to give up size or much width.
You might take a look at the S&W M&P 2.0 9mm with the 3.6" barrel. It's a really sweet little gun with 15 rounds with the flush fit mag and not much wider than the Shield.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

I wanted one of these when they first came out, but then the problems started appearing. OK, new gun, has some issues. Then Sig responded stating that a small percentage were affected because of a small batch of strikers out of spec. Ok, how many strikers in that batch and what serial numbers could be affected by that... crickets from Sig. Instead, Sig redesigns the striker. If it was a such a small percentage and known QC issue, why the redesign?

Another issue is that the guns that failed did so at varying levels of use. Some failed with just a few rounds, some were close to 1,000 rounds before failure... with such wildly varying results, how many rounds do you fire to test it and feel comfortable with it?

Add this failure to the P320 debacle, and the P290 issues... I just don't trust Sig quality like I used to. YMMV.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Is the P365 fixed, only time will tell. My wife loves her P320 but it did go back to Sig for "repair". In my case I looked at the P365 and just didn't like how it felt in my hands. I also must be the only one on the forum that prefers some kind of "safety" device on a pistol especially one with a light trigger and potentially a pocket carry. This gun has no trigger safety and no mechanical safety yet (the manual does show that Sig plans on making such a version and when I contacted them they weren't sure when). I know that you need to keep your finger off the trigger, etc. I like how S&W at least gives you the option of a mechanical safety or not at your discretion. I like having a car with a parking break and haven't used it in over 20 years, but it's there. Sig military version of the P320 has a safety. I guess the military requires it.

Sig has taken a real beating with the P320 fiasco and I believe major problems with the P365. Taurus ( I know it is a sin to mention them ) quality seems to be better than Sig (at least for now). Have you seen the G2C? Less than $200 and flawless in my hands ( and most reviewers). I personally would wait on buying a Sig P365, rather expensive gun and expensive mags. They did do a great job of designing capacity into a small size and I bet many other copy cat gun makers will do the same.

I feel like a sinner mentioning a "safety" and Taurus in the same post. Oh well.

extremist

Post by extremist »

Been fixed for a while, good to go. Here's a new long term review:

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/the-si ... erm-review

James, P365 EDC.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”