Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 18

Houston we got a problem... Live Rd jammed

Post by Beiruty »

Gentlemen,

First time I got this issue, hard jammed live round in a RRA AR15-ATH model.
The rifle is almost new has couple hundreds rounds throw it.
We were shooting Factory Ammo and not re-loads.

What are my options?
Can we get it out?
Should I send it back to factory?

Here is a photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GYcygP1Mfze2MxnQ8
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Houston we got a problem... Live Rd jammed

Post by srothstein »

I would make sure the bolt carrier was removed from the upper, then use a dowel rod from the muzzle to knock the round out of the chamber. No danger to it if there is nothing for the primer to hit.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

srothstein wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:32 am I would make sure the bolt carrier was removed from the upper, then use a dowel rod from the muzzle to knock the round out of the chamber. No danger to it if there is nothing for the primer to hit.
I had to beat out the bolt carrier group hard to get it out and the case rim was damaged as shown. Never dealt with live round jammed.
Beiruty,

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Beiruty wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:36 am
srothstein wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:32 am I would make sure the bolt carrier was removed from the upper, then use a dowel rod from the muzzle to knock the round out of the chamber. No danger to it if there is nothing for the primer to hit.
I had to beat out the bolt carrier group hard to get it out and the case rim was damaged as shown. Never dealt with live round jammed.
I have never had trouble getting the bolt carrier out, but I have had jammed live rounds before. It dates back to the 70's when I was in the Army and usually caused by a combination of bad ammo and a dirty rifle. We used the dowel method for the round.

I would guess in your case, there is some other damage to the round causing it to jam and the case was damaged by forcing the carrier over it, either chambering or when removing the round. But that is just a guess.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

srothstein wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:42 am
Beiruty wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:36 am
I have never had trouble getting the bolt carrier out, but I have had jammed live rounds before. It dates back to the 70's when I was in the Army and usually caused by a combination of bad ammo and a dirty rifle. We used the dowel method for the round.

I would guess in your case, there is some other damage to the round causing it to jam and the case was damaged by forcing the carrier over it, either chambering or when removing the round. But that is just a guess.
That is what I am deliberating. Last round shot has a case failure of some type. A piece of the last round case stayed in the chamber. The next round entered the chamber and got jammed hard.
Beiruty,

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Why no one designed a case puller similar to the RCBS stuck case remover from the die. Instead of of screw in the case, one can use a collet type extractor.
Beiruty,

Nuts
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Nuts »

My neighbor got a defective round jammed in his AR10 2 weeks ago. I used an old aluminum cleaning rod and knocked it out.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Tap it out with a wooden dowel. Wear safety glasses and don't point either end of the barrel at anyone. Shouldn't be that hard to get out.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

rotor wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:25 pm Tap it out with a wooden dowel. Wear safety glasses and don't point either end of the barrel at anyone. Shouldn't be that hard to get out.
I have done that. The bullet was pushed back in the case and I can hear it when I rattle the upper. Wood rod broke. I used a brass cleaning rod and the one of its end was deformed.

I ordered a 3/16" x24" brass rod.
I contacted RRA for Tech Help and possible shipping to the factory for a fix or replacement if the chamber is damaged

It is stuck more than I expected

Here is a new photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WATPnJHY2v53WYGE9
Beiruty,

rotor

Post by rotor »

Wow. I wonder if spraying down the barrel with some DW40 now that the bullet is free would soak up the case and inactivate the primer enough to drill through the primer and perhaps extract the case. I would think that DW40 would do something to the primer but perhaps a test on a primed case to see if it is enough to deactivate it. I don't see how you would ship it commercially with a live round. This is a dilemma.

Odiferous

Post by Odiferous »

Primers are not easy to chemically deactivate, and I certainly wouldn't trust an attempt to do so.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

All what I need is bolt head with 360 degrees collet extractor that grabs on the case and outer collet that pushes against the barrel face when a bolt is tightened from the other side of the said bolt head
Beiruty,

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

Maybe try grabbing a can of office duster and flip it upside down so that you get the super chilled liquid when you spray it, at the same time try beating the snot out of the cleaning rod to knock it out. Might be able to shrink it enough to knock it out.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

kayt00 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:08 pm Maybe try grabbing a can of office duster and flip it upside down so that you get the super chilled liquid when you spray it, at the same time try beating the snot out of the cleaning rod to knock it out. Might be able to shrink it enough to knock it out.
I will do that, and I will spray a lot WD-40 and keep it overnight barrel up. Then, I will get the super chilled liquid and cool the cased head before I pound it with the solid brass rod
Beiruty,

Odiferous

Post by Odiferous »

Might be able to accomplish similar by putting the upper in the freezer for a bit. Dissimilar metals expand differently.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”