2 New Guns: a Ruger PC9 carbine, and a Mossberg 930 SPX

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 17

2 New Guns: a Ruger PC9 carbine, and a Mossberg 930 SPX

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I bought a couple of new guns in the past couple of days.

A few days ago, I ordered a Mossberg 930 SPX tactical shotgun. It will come in to my FFL next week sometime. Here is the version I bought: https://www.mossberg.com/product/930-ta ... rip-85223/

I’m not entirely sure how I’ll like the pistol grip stock; but if I don’t, it is easily enough replaced. Mossberg sells all the parts necessary from their online store. Also, Mossberg offers all the parts needed to convert the barrel and/or magazine lengths to one suitable for hunting or clay sports applications. Once you have the parts, the conversion is relatively easy .... not a lot more complicated than altering the configuration of an AR15 by switching out uppers and changing butt stocks. I’m excited about it.

I bought the other gun today. It’s a Ruger PC 9 carbine. I’d been kicking around buying one of these ever since they first came out. The best price I’d seen in a while was $488.95 from GrabAGun.com. When I phoned them yesterday to ask if I could just drive over to their store in Coppell to pick one up, I was told that they had them at warehouses, but not in the store, and that I could order it online, and it would take 3 days to come in....THEN I could come over and pick it up. So I decided to kick it around a little more.

Then today, I went over at Shoot Point Blank in NRH to check the new suppressor height sights on my G17, and to shoot the S&W 327 TRR8 I bought from Carlson1 for the first time. After shooting for a while, I went over to the gun counter because I had noticed that they had some PC 9 carbines on the wall. The base model - the one I wanted - was priced at $539.95. When the salesman asked if I wanted to buy one, I said yeah, but that I could get one for $489 from GrabAGun in Coppell. He asked if I’d buy one from him if he could match the cheaper price, and I said yeah. So he went off and tweaked the maths, and came back and told me he could sell it for $490.37 - a $1.42 more - so I jumped on it. Heck, I’d spend 3 or 4 times that difference in gas, just driving over to Coppell and back, from my home in NRH. The way I figure it, I actually saved a little money by buying it for $1.42 more from Shoot Point Blank. At least, that’s what I’m telling my wife - who spent $600+ on new clothes in the past 3 weeks.

Here’s the version I bought: https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/sp ... 19100.html, and I’ve already swapped out the magazine block for the Glock version, and reversed the mag release button for me lefty self. Both tasks were easy-peasy.

I feel another range day coming on.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 6

Re: 2 New Guns: a Ruger PC9 carbine, and a Mossberg 930 SPX

Post by SQLGeek »

Very nice. I just picked up a PCC myself from PSA...though I'm hesitant to share for how much. Let's just say it was a screaming good deal.

I also just ordered 5 G17 mags from CDNN. Now I need to clean it and take it for a range trip. I might take my Sparc red dot off of my 10/22 but we will see.

I will probably get some 33 round fun sticks down the road.

And now that I have the mags, I think I need to pickup a Glock G45 to run with it. That's how this works right?
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

SQLGeek wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:58 pm Very nice. I just picked up a PCC myself from PSA...though I'm hesitant to share for how much. Let's just say it was a screaming good deal.

I also just ordered 5 G17 mags from CDNN. Now I need to clean it and take it for a range trip. I might take my Sparc red dot off of my 10/22 but we will see.

I will probably get some 33 round fun sticks down the road.

And now that I have the mags, I think I need to pickup a Glock G45 to run with it. That's how this works right?
What I paid for my Ruger was about what I think is average retail pricing. Most places have them priced too high, but as my own experience showed, they’ll budge on the price if you can show that you could easily buy it somewhere else not too far away for less. I already own a bunch of 9mm Glock mags, including 5 or 6 of the "fun sticks", so I didn’t bother buying more right away. I’m going to take the Primary Arms RDS off of my Sub-2000 and put it on this PC 9.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bblhd672 »

Congratulations on the new purchases!
Ruger has PCC accessories on sale! I just bought three upgrades I had been looking at due to Ruger’s webite being less than the manufacturer’s prices.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Tex1961 »

You’d better find a good source for cheap 9mm. My PC9 tends to go through a lot of it. ;-)
The stock sights are pretty darn good, and I’ve run both stock and red dot and scope. All work really well with this platform. I grabbed a couple of 32 and 17 round off brand glock mags from Gun mag warehouse and they’ve all run just fine.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

bblhd672 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:54 am Congratulations on the new purchases!
Ruger has PCC accessories on sale! I just bought three upgrades I had been looking at due to Ruger’s webite being less than the manufacturer’s prices.
I actually just now ordered the takedown carrying case from the Ruger website. :mrgreen:
Tex1961 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:03 am You’d better find a good source for cheap 9mm. My PC9 tends to go through a lot of it. ;-)
The stock sights are pretty darn good, and I’ve run both stock and red dot and scope. All work really well with this platform. I grabbed a couple of 32 and 17 round off brand glock mags from Gun mag warehouse and they’ve all run just fine.
I tend to buy 9mm ball by the 1000 round case, and have a goodly amount of it on hand already.....but yeah....I realized that I’ll be needing to step up my ammo purchase game. :lol: As to an RDS, I have a Primary Arms one that has been sitting unused on a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 that I plan to transfer to the PC9 - although, I have to say that I like the iron sights a lot. I’m already pretty well situated with Glock mags, although that could change if I like this gun enough.

#TINVOWOOT

circumspice_tuebor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by circumspice_tuebor »

Congrats!

That reminds me to take my PC9 out for some exercise!

I put a PA micro red-dot on mine - works great, even given my astigmatism issues.

I have a 930 JM Pro, not exactly the same animal as the SPX , but it’s a good shooter. You may find that you need somewhat higher powered loads for reliable cycling, and keep the gas system clean!
Micah 6:8

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

This is mine.
Tan.png

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Tex1961 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:56 pm This is mine.

Tan.png
That’s right.... you make aftermarket panels to dress 'em up with, right?

#TINVOWOOT

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Yessir. Sure do.

www.tejasproducts.com
Ruger PC Carbine collage.png
Custom Base plate on gun.png
IMG_3066.jpg

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jago668 »

Don't have a PCC, but I do have a Mossbert 930 spx. I got mine in all black with a normal stock and I love it. Put a Bushnell red dot on it. Works great so far, I've only run buckshot through it though.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Jago668 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:05 pm Don't have a PCC, but I do have a Mossbert 930 spx. I got mine in all black with a normal stock and I love it. Put a Bushnell red dot on it. Works great so far, I've only run buckshot through it though.
I really debated with myself over whether to buy the 930 SPX with the standard stock, or the pistol grip stock. In the end, I was able to buy this one for not a lot more than the standard version, and I kind of liked the alternative color scheme....nothing more than that. Like I said, I figured I’d just try it out configured that way, and if I ended up not liking the pistol grip, it would be easy enough to swap out.

#TINVOWOOT

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I had to buy some mags because I sold all of mine when I moved back to CA for a spell. I hadn't replaced them yet.

I figure they are cheaper than the Ruger mags and I know I'll be owning a 9mm Glock again at some point.

I also just picked up a case of 9mm to bolster my supply since I figure I'll be going through it a bit faster. I shot a friend's semi-auto Sterling a while back and we chewed through a 350 round bucket like it was a pitcher of beer. :lol:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

I’m at my FFL right now picking up my shotgun, and he’s got a PC9 carbine, NIB, for sale for $469, if anybody is interested.

#TINVOWOOT

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

PSA was selling them for $399 shipped a few weeks ago. If you can wait, a good deal can be had.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”