Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 6

Transferring a Handgun to My Adult Son

Post by Crash »

Don't know where else to post this, so here goes:

I want to transfer ownership, i.e., give, a handgun to my adult son who lives in another city in Texas. As far as I know, the gun ( a S&W Model 10 manufactured in 1980) has never been registered under Texas laws. I (a private purchaser) bought it at a gun show from another private individual, not a gun dealer. There was no paperwork done and I paid cash for it. I doubt that it was ever on a 4473. Can I just give it to my son (who is not and has never been a felon) without doing a legal transfer?

Thanks for your help,

Crash

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Transferring a Handgun to My Adult Son

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Yes. Private exchange of firearms between individuals requires no FFL transfer. Buying or gifting is no problem. They simply must be a Texas resident and have no felonies.
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glazer1972

Post by glazer1972 »

Yes.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Crash wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:06 pm Don't know where else to post this, so here goes:

I want to transfer ownership, i.e., give, a handgun to my adult son who lives in another city in Texas. As far as I know, the gun ( a S&W Model 10 manufactured in 1980) has never been registered under Texas laws. I (a private purchaser) bought it at a gun show from another private individual, not a gun dealer. There was no paperwork done and I paid cash for it. I doubt that it was ever on a 4473. Can I just give it to my son (who is not and has never been a felon) without doing a legal transfer?

Thanks for your help,

Crash
None of my guns are registered.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

There’s no gun registration in Texas. You can give or sell the gun to Texas resident you want to, as long as that person is not barred by law from possessing it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:06 pm There’s no gun registration in Texas. You can give or sell the gun to Texas resident you want to, as long as that person is not barred by law from possessing it.
:iagree:

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Can I just give it to my son (who is not and has never been a felon) without doing a legal transfer?

Giving it to your son IS a legal transfer.

(Note: I am not a lawyer. The above statement does not constitute legal advice. YMMV.)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ghostrider wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:22 pm
Can I just give it to my son (who is not and has never been a felon) without doing a legal transfer?

Giving it to your son IS a legal transfer.

(Note: I am not a lawyer. The above statement does not constitute legal advice. YMMV.)
Caveat.... no paper trail necessary as long as the transfer is between Texas residents who are lawfully able to possess a handgun. If the son is out of state, then transfer through an FFL might be required.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:07 pm Yes. Private exchange of firearms between individuals requires no FFL transfer. Buying or gifting is no problem. They simply must be a Texas resident and have no felonies.

03Lightningrocks:

Thanks for the info--I appreciate it.

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

glazer1972 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:10 pmYes.
glazer1972 - Thanks for your help.

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Thanks to all you guys who replied with good info on the subject--I really appreciate the help.

Crasj :tiphat:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Crash wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:06 pm Don't know where else to post this, so here goes:

Thanks for your help,

Crash
There is no gun registration in Texas. If your Model 10 was manufactured in 1980 it's initial sale or transfer was done with a 4473 form completed; a legal requirement since 1968. As others have stated so long as your son can legally possess a firearm you are safe to give it to him.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

puma guy wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks for your help,

Crash
There is no gun registration in Texas. If your Model 10 was manufactured in 1980 it's initial sale or transfer was done with a 4473 form completed; a legal requirement since 1968. As others have stated so long as your son can legally possess a firearm you are safe to give it to him.
puma guy,

I didn't know that they were using 4473s as far back as 1968. Anyway, when I bought it from a private seller at a gun show (don't remember the year, but it was nearly 10 years ago), of course I didn't fill out a 4473. He gave me the gun, I gave him the money and that was it. So, it was never registered to me.

Crash

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Crash wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:14 pm
puma guy wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks for your help,

Crash
puma guy,

I didn't know that they were using 4473s as far back as 1968. Anyway, when I bought it from a private seller at a gun show (don't remember the year, but it was nearly 10 years ago), of course I didn't fill out a 4473. He gave me the gun, I gave him the money and that was it. So, it was never registered to me.

Crash
Crash,
Yes, the GCA of 1968 included the requirement to complete the 4473 form. I was selling guns when the law was passed. It had some additional restrictions and requirements on sales of firearms and ammunition that thankfully have been modified in later legislation, but the 4473 remains. The forms do not "register" firearms with the state nor federal governments, but FFL's were required to retain the completed 4473's for 7 years when the law came out. I believe that is still true. I sold a lot of S&W's and the Model 10 was a popular and reliable revolver having been around many, many years. Very nice of your to gift your son the firearm, I know your he will enjoy shooting it. Keep shooting!

puma guy
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”