How to Carry Cell Phone

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 3

Re: How to Carry Cell Phone

Post by troglodyte »

I appreciate the replies. I think I may have to try a combination of ideas. For work I'll start buying the cargo pants. Duluth's prices scare me, as I am cheap and hard on pants, but I hear they are worth it. Secondly, I am needing a new case for my phone so I'll probably go back with an Otter Box or similar that has a belt clip.

I do have Wilderness Belt ankle rig for my blow-out kit but I haven't been able to get it dialed in to fit right and be semi-comfortable. I need to work on it some more.

Thanks all.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

troglodyte wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:31 pm I appreciate the replies. I think I may have to try a combination of ideas. For work I'll start buying the cargo pants. Duluth's prices scare me, as I am cheap and hard on pants, but I hear they are worth it. Secondly, I am needing a new case for my phone so I'll probably go back with an Otter Box or similar that has a belt clip.

I do have Wilderness Belt ankle rig for my blow-out kit but I haven't been able to get it dialed in to fit right and be semi-comfortable. I need to work on it some more.

Thanks all.
I wear Vertx pants. Google Warrior Poet Society for 25% discount.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

rotor

Post by rotor »

The idea of the smart watch is a good idea. My wife has her iPhone jammed into her purse where it is hidden from all but with her watch she can do anything. I purposefully bought an iPhone SE for it's small size and carry it in an otterbox on my belt. I don't know how cops carry all of the stuff they carry on a belt.

Alf

Post by Alf »

troglodyte wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:21 pm As my life evolves and what I have to do/carry I am finding it harder to find a good way to carry my cell phone. I have, for years, carried in my left front shirt pocket. Now, as my work has changed, I am in positions that allow my phone to fall out of my pocket and most pockets aren't deep enough to button over the top. Unrelated to my job, I am carrying a sling pack containing "accessories" more and the strap goes right across the pocket.

I carry an iPhone 8 with a case so it is a larger phone. 3:00 is my holster, 8:30-9:00 is my reloads, 7:30 is my radio when at church, 6:00 is my CAT TQ when training. Front pockets - Keys, knives, and whatever other knick-knacks; back pockets - wallet and TQ. Not all my shirts have a right front pockets and that still wouldn't alleviate the falling out problem. I'm not partial to pants pocket carry as I find it uncomfortable and can't get past the idea of the phone bending and shattering the screen.

I've seen several belt holsters, even kydex to match my mag carriers, but I'm about out of room on my belt and I still need to access my pockets.

I am kicking around the idea of a carpenter's or cargo-type pants with more pockets but want to try to explore some other options, partially as to not have to make a big wardrobe change all at once.

Any suggestions on how to carry a cell phone when your belt is already full? If all else fails I may just duct tape it to my head.
If you're carrying a bag and the carry strap interferes with your shirt pocket, maybe put the phone in the bag. Many bags these days have pockets or pouches designed to hold smart phones. Personally, I usually ignore phone alerts and check my voicemail, email and text message at my convenience, especially if I'm doing something productive at the time.

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 3

Post by troglodyte »

Alf wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:08 pm
troglodyte wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:21 pm As my life evolves and what I have to do/carry I am finding it harder to find a good way to carry my cell phone. I have, for years, carried in my left front shirt pocket. Now, as my work has changed, I am in positions that allow my phone to fall out of my pocket and most pockets aren't deep enough to button over the top. Unrelated to my job, I am carrying a sling pack containing "accessories" more and the strap goes right across the pocket.

I carry an iPhone 8 with a case so it is a larger phone. 3:00 is my holster, 8:30-9:00 is my reloads, 7:30 is my radio when at church, 6:00 is my CAT TQ when training. Front pockets - Keys, knives, and whatever other knick-knacks; back pockets - wallet and TQ. Not all my shirts have a right front pockets and that still wouldn't alleviate the falling out problem. I'm not partial to pants pocket carry as I find it uncomfortable and can't get past the idea of the phone bending and shattering the screen.

I've seen several belt holsters, even kydex to match my mag carriers, but I'm about out of room on my belt and I still need to access my pockets.

I am kicking around the idea of a carpenter's or cargo-type pants with more pockets but want to try to explore some other options, partially as to not have to make a big wardrobe change all at once.

Any suggestions on how to carry a cell phone when your belt is already full? If all else fails I may just duct tape it to my head.
If you're carrying a bag and the carry strap interferes with your shirt pocket, maybe put the phone in the bag. Many bags these days have pockets or pouches designed to hold smart phones. Personally, I usually ignore phone alerts and check my voicemail, email and text message at my convenience, especially if I'm doing something productive at the time.
Unfortunately, as the facilities Director, I must acknowledge my phone anytime as I am “On Call” 24/7. Granted, most times it is nothing that couldn’t have waited but occasionally it is something I must deal with at the moment.

As far as stuffing the phone in the bag, I would like to find a consistent location to carry my phone. I don’t carry the pack all the time.

I’ll be giving the Duluth pants a try. I guess I wasn’t aware of their guarantee. I’ll also check out the other pants suggested. Duluth is on a frequent route so they’ll be easy to get to.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”