My new Sig P365XL & holster

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
johncanfield
Posts in topic: 6

My new Sig P365XL & holster

Post by johncanfield »

Thought I would start a thread about my new P365XL - I referred to it in my other thread about having problems with my P239. It's really a dandy size, holds 12 rounds plus 1 and seems to be a very pleasant shooter. I had no idea it was just released maybe two or three weeks ago and seems to be in short supply. I gave 600 bucks cash at the Kerrville gun show yesterday which is a bit over retail but that's okay considering it's so new on the market.

I've watched a couple of videos on the 365XL, one guy put 1500 rounds (or something like that) through it with zero problems and even poured water on the slide to cool it down when it got too hot to comfortably handle. I think the 365 had some teething problems which doesn't surprise me and I think the XL incorporates some design tweaks from the problems with the 365. I had to send our Sig P238 back to Sig once or twice when the 238 was a fairly new model but they got it going fine (great little pocket gun.) I don't have an opinion about the 365XL trigger as yet since I've only shot about 25 rounds through it.

I spent quite a bit of time handling the P365 a lady was selling so she could buy the XL version, I liked it quite a bit but after handling the XL, the XL seemed to have the perfect dimensions and weight for me. I was curious about the P938 (basically the P238 in 9mm for those not familiar with Sig) but I thought it was too small for a 9mm round and wouldn't be fun to shoot unlike the P238.

Then I handled an H&K VP9 - it fit my hand about as perfectly as I could ever hope for, I liked it so much I was considering altering my EDC gun requirements of a smaller and lighter gun than my P239 but I reluctantly passed it by :???:
Sig_P365XL_and_holster.jpg
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Topic author
johncanfield

Re: My new Sig P365XL & holster

Post by johncanfield »

Well, dang it :totap:

Started having fail to feed problems after about 150 rounds of various factory ammo. To my amazement, Remington UMC target 115 grain ammo would not load - period. No way Jose. PMC 115 grain full metal jacket worked great, I also ran Geco 124 grain FMC with no problems. Winchester Law Enforcement 147 grain hollow points were feeding fine then I had one get stuck to where I couldn't extract it or drop the magazine. I finally locked the slide back and pushed the casing to the rear, then I could clear the round. I think one of the magazines has a weak spring - the tension when loading (with a speed loader) was noticeably less than the other.

As far as shooting, I like the trigger overall (not a crisp break but good enough) but I'm not sold on a straight vs. curved trigger finger pull. My finger kept sliding to the bottom and rubbing on the trigger guard. Maybe Sig can change it for the traditional curved pull. I was hitting the target consistently to the left but I thought that was me and not the gun, I did manage to get that solved by concentrating on my stance and trigger pull.

I'll call Sig tomorrow and get a return tag. I'm not particularly upset, it's just one of those things. One advantage of sending it back is the gun will get a good examination and tweaking over and above factory assembly and testing.

So when I send the 365XL back I'll carry the P239 but setup for .40 caliber.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

Maybe Sig needs to provide a mailing box and label with each new Sig. Wife has the 320 Romeo which went back for the “fix”. I would be very upset that a new gun needs to go back. Sig has a reputation like Mercedes but is starting to look like a lot like a Yugo.

extremist
Posts in topic: 1

Post by extremist »

My new Sig P365XL has been flawless, albeit I've only shot it in a competition match for about ~100 rounds, and 50 rounds on the range. Factory S&B, Fiocchi, PMC, CCI Blazer Brass and my reloads.

We have one at the range on the rental counter and there have been no reported malfunctions, don't have a round count but been available for a week or two.

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

The few reports about the 365XL are really good, I'm really surprised about my FTF problems (lucky me.) My wife's P238 is very picky about hollow points, Hornady Critical Defense with the pointed bullet feeds 100%.

I bought a brand new Ruger LC9s a few years ago for an EDC gun and the magazine would occasionally fall out - yes, fall out :nono: . Sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the frame. That LC9s will never ever be on my hip as a carry gun.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I’m hoping to pick up the XL soon myself. Looks like exactly what i want.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Glock 31 or a 32. No, it’s not as pretty as a Sig, but it will go bang every. single. time.

Or, stay with a Sig. Surely there must be some value in fiddling and persevering in the face of disappointment.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

TAM - I never got past the handgrip feels like a 2x4 thing with Glocks. Handled a Glock one time and that was enough :lol:

Talked with Sig yesterday, "shoot 500 rounds through it to polish the feed ramp." So this morning I polished up the feed ramp with my Proxxon rotary tool and a very, very fine stone - saved me a ton of money, but I ran another 100 rounds through it this morning and it's doing great. Even the Remington UMC target ammo that would not even begin to feed, feeds fine now with no issues. After I get a couple of hundred more rounds through it I'll run some carry hollow points through it.

I'm beginning to figure out the sights and my grip, etc and can put all rounds within 12" from about 20 feet (with an occasional flyer) - pretty good for this old guy with wonky hands. I'll tighten that impact zone up a bunch the more I shoot the gun.

Sig does list a curved trigger for the 365XL - the Sig guy said nobody ever asked him about replacing the flat trigger, I'm the first. :thumbs2:

So the bottom line is - I'm really happy with the Sig now. Very happy.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

johncanfield wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:09 pm TAM - I never got past the handgrip feels like a 2x4 thing with Glocks. Handled a Glock one time and that was enough :lol:

Talked with Sig yesterday, "shoot 500 rounds through it to polish the feed ramp." So this morning I polished up the feed ramp with my Proxxon rotary tool and a very, very fine stone - saved me a ton of money, but I ran another 100 rounds through it this morning and it's doing great. Even the Remington UMC target ammo that would not even begin to feed, feeds fine now with no issues. After I get a couple of hundred more rounds through it I'll run some carry hollow points through it.

I'm beginning to figure out the sights and my grip, etc and can put all rounds within 12" from about 20 feet (with an occasional flyer) - pretty good for this old guy with wonky hands. I'll tighten that impact zone up a bunch the more I shoot the gun.

Sig does list a curved trigger for the 365XL - the Sig guy said nobody ever asked him about replacing the flat trigger, I'm the first. :thumbs2:

So the bottom line is - I'm really happy with the Sig now. Very happy.
I am shocked that Sig thinks you have to shoot 500 rounds through it just to function. As TAM said, Glock. I am not a Sig hater but I think that's ridiculous. I am rethinking my choice for a new gun. My inexpensive Taurus GLC has never failed. It is a good truck gun. Cheap and works. Perhaps Sig needs to send 10 boxes of ammo with each new gun.

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

All of this could have been avoided if Sig spent about 10 seconds finishing out the feed ramp, even so I still would have shot a few hundred rounds through the gun before I would carry it. Oh well.

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

I'm not sure that's correct but a) it would be highly unlikely they could determine I polished the feed ramp or b) that it had anything to do with a different problem or c) I can buy a new barrel. So, no worries :coolgleamA: .

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”