backpacks or backpack inserts

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 3

backpacks or backpack inserts

Post by Venus Pax »

What would be a good quality bullet-proof backpack or backpack insert?

I found this, and it claims to resist even rifle rounds.

Are there others?

https://www.shotstop.net/shop-ballistic ... tection-ra

I'm also concerned about what would be too heavy for a child (age 10) to carry.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

easy10
Posts in topic: 1

Re: backpacks or backpack inserts

Post by easy10 »

Guard Dog makes one tested against a .44 Magnum

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

What's the application? You can easily buy a single 10x12" (standard size) soft body armor panel rated IIIA for $50 (or less) and put it in your choice of bags. That's good for normal handgun rounds up to 44MAG. You can get panels rated for rifle rounds, but the answer becomes more complex as you balance weight, thickness, cost, soft/hard, etc.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I keep a III-A panel in my leather satchel. It's essentially a medium front panel, but that avoided a custom order. The weight is maybe 2 lbs. Total cost was $150.

I got it from bulletproofme.com, and was overall pleased with their service. I think that I spoke with the owner every time that I called, and while he was very nice and helpful, they did lose my paperwork twice such that they took 6 months to ship one panel. It seems that they were changing warehouses at the time, so that experience was probably unique. If I ever buy a vest, I think that I'll use them, but my experience wasn't perfect.

howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by howdy »

Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

The Guard Dog one seems to be the best bet. I do not plan to tell her that her backpack is bulletproof. I think this would give her a false sense of security, and there are all sorts of issues I can foresee if she knew this. My plan is to tell her to put her backpack on if it is near her or to use it to shield herself. I don't want her wasting time looking for it or going back for it when she could simply vacate the building.

I do have a few concerns with the Guard Dog brand. For starters, I can't find a NIJ certification on this backpack to know that it has been tested by an outside agency. Another is that I really don't want anyone else knowing her backpack is bulletproof for a variety of reasons. I'm afraid the label will tip someone off.

Any ideas?

I'm also waffling on the Level IIIa rating, and wondering if it will be sufficient. I follow school shootings closely. They are going more toward rifle use. On the other hand, if the backpack is too heavy, it's too heavy.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

howdy

Post by howdy »

Venus Pax wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:21 am The Guard Dog one seems to be the best bet. I do not plan to tell her that her backpack is bulletproof. I think this would give her a false sense of security, and there are all sorts of issues I can foresee if she knew this. My plan is to tell her to put her backpack on if it is near her or to use it to shield herself. I don't want her wasting time looking for it or going back for it when she could simply vacate the building.

I do have a few concerns with the Guard Dog brand. For starters, I can't find a NIJ certification on this backpack to know that it has been tested by an outside agency. Another is that I really don't want anyone else knowing her backpack is bulletproof for a variety of reasons. I'm afraid the label will tip someone off.

Any ideas?

I'm also waffling on the Level IIIa rating, and wondering if it will be sufficient. I follow school shootings closely. They are going more toward rifle use. On the other hand, if the backpack is too heavy, it's too heavy.

Have a name tag made for your child and sew it over the guard dog patch. I agree with you about advertising both for security and anti theft. I also thought the same with rifle use. You could always add a plate. (I know it gets heavier)
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Shiloh Shooting Range (near Willowbrook Mall) has some in stock. They did some range testing last year with them. Think the come in 3 sizes.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Venus Pax wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:21 amI'm also waffling on the Level IIIa rating, and wondering if it will be sufficient. I follow school shootings closely. They are going more toward rifle use.
I think this may be a false image create by the media. The current bias in the media reporting is targeting AR type rifles and trying to make it look like they are used for everything illegal that they can be.

The latest academic study I saw says that a pistol was the most powerful weapon used in around 62% (IIRC) of all active shooter situations. Having pointed out that fact, I will also point out that each shooting is an individual event and must be considered. It is kind of like deciding to carry at all. You pray it will never be needed, you know it won't be needed most of the time, and you know that when it is needed, not having it means you will never need it again.

I would also point out that a pistol rated backpack is still way better than no protection, even if a rifle is used.

I do not particularly think the risk of school shootings is that high that I would buy a bullet resistant backpack or insert for my children, but if I did, I would look at getting the best one I could afford and that they would carry. Finding the sweet spot between weight and carrying is going to be a judgement you will need to make and hope you get it close enough if necessary.
Steve Rothstein

flechero

Post by flechero »

srothstein wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:59 am I think this may be a false image create by the media. The current bias in the media reporting is targeting AR type rifles and trying to make it look like they are used for everything illegal that they can be.

The latest academic study I saw says that a pistol was the most powerful weapon used in around 62% (IIRC) of all active shooter situations.
While I agree with your statements 100% I also see the statistic as leaving 38% of shootings with a rifle.... and that being close enough to a 50/50 scenario that I'd lean towards rifle protection.

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I purchased a regular, generic backpack from Amazon with a laptop compartment, and I separately purchased a level IIIa backpack insert.
My plan is to sew a casing around it, put in in her backpack, and instruct her to leave it there since it's better for her back (not really a lie, is it?).

I will report back on how well the insert fits into the laptop sleeve and how heavy it turns out to be for a 10-year-old fifth grader.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Rob72 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:32 am
flechero wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:32 am
srothstein wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:59 am I think this may be a false image create by the media. The current bias in the media reporting is targeting AR type rifles and trying to make it look like they are used for everything illegal that they can be.

The latest academic study I saw says that a pistol was the most powerful weapon used in around 62% (IIRC) of all active shooter situations.
While I agree with your statements 100% I also see the statistic as leaving 38% of shootings with a rifle.... and that being close enough to a 50/50 scenario that I'd lean towards rifle protection.
I'm going to be harshly realistic- a SAPI plate buys you 1, maybe 2 rounds of survival, and I'm not sure what the testing distance is for those. Close range from a .223/7.62x39 or .308 is substantially different than the energy at ~20 feet or less. If you are stunned, and don't scream, cry, continue to wiggle from pain from impact, a shooter may walk on by. IIIa is a reasonable compromise between being unobtrusive, easily carried, and a reasonable weight.
Go back and see the video- they show 15+rounds of 5.56 @ 10feet into the same insert with no pass throughs.
https://www.shotstop.net/shop-ballistic ... tection-ra

In a school shooter situation, rarely does the shooter fixate on one random person... and unless it's a head shot, there is always movement/screaming/ crying/etc. They may fixate on a GF, bully or certain teacher but rarely on one of the masses.

Nothing is perfect but enough school shooters use a rifle that going through all of this just for handgun protection seems like low effectiveness for the same effort in preparedness

:tiphat:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”