Walmart has fallen!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

JohnS-TX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Walmart has fallen!

Post by JohnS-TX »

I planned a grocery shopping trip today to my local WalMart store (Conroe) – a store in which I’ve OC’ed countless times. However, this trip I was not CC/OC’ing. As I entered the store there were NO 06/07 signs visible.

I thought I’d ask the Greeter on my way out if she knew any details regarding the rumored change in their OC policy. You would think a Greeter should know these kinds of things since they would be the first person to encounter the person OC’ing. I politely asked her and all I got a blank look in reply. After hesitating a while she replied she didn’t know anything about a change of OC firearm policy.

I knew I was within 15 feet of the door where the store’s Security Personnel resided, so I politely asked her if I could chat with a Security person – surely they should know about the rumored change.

A Security person promptly came out. I politely asked the questions, has there been a change in the store’s OC policy and if so, what are the details?

She seemed a little surprised at my questions, but was quick to reply – there has been NO change in the store’s OC policy. Their policy has been and is they will observe a person entering the store OC’ing. If the OC person appears to be a threat or if they become a threat, the OC person will be asked to leave the store. It is at the store’s discretion whether they ask the OC person to leave or to allow the OC person to remain the in the store. She repeated this discretion policy 2 or 3 times.
I thanked her for her very detailed reply and exited the store.

For the time being, I’ll wait til some dust settles and things cool off and then reconsider OC’ing at WalMart.

I’m not sure how other WalMart stores are addressing the “new” OC policy. I can only report regarding the Conroe store.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 22

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

They only decided on the new policy about a week ago. I bet they are putting together the new policy to ship out to all their locations. In a big company like walmart they have to run these things through the legal department. My point is, give them a few more weeks or so to get it in place. I have no expectation of them simply allowing each location to make it's own policy. Not after making such a huge public spectacle of it.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 17

Post by carlson1 »

I personally don’t think it is wise to bring this to the attention of local stores until we see how they respond. It is best sometimes to just be quiet...

Lena
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lena »

Went into my Walmart also today no signs seen no changes noticed, just TABC signage as usual, ammo shelves bare metal.
Stay Safe

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Oldgringo »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:47 pm I personally don’t think it is wise to bring this to the attention of local stores until we see how they respond. It is best sometimes to just be quiet...
:iagree: Discretion is said to be the better part of valor.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:53 pm
Oldgringo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:27 pm ...So, use your phone or go elsewhere. Walmart is here to stay.
Yea Kmart and Montgomery Wards thought that too. I know you are old enough to remember those. :anamatedbanana
Yep, I also remember Western Autos.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Oldgringo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:06 pm
Oldgringo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:27 pm ...So, use your phone or go elsewhere. Walmart is here to stay.
Yea Kmart and Montgomery Wards thought that too. I know you are old enough to remember those. :anamatedbanana
I bought a 410 shotgun from the Western Auto in Tyler that was on south Broadway. I almost forgot about them along with Gibson’s. :cheers2:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:17 pm
I bought a 410 shotgun from the Western Auto in Tyler that was on south Broadway. I almost forgot about them along with Gibson’s. :cheers2:
Gibson's is the other one I was trying to think of. Gibson's also predated K-Marts and Walmarts.

03Lightningrocks

Oldgringo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:32 pm
carlson1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:17 pm
Gibson's is the other one I was trying to think of. Gibson's also predated K-Marts and Walmarts.
The first shotgun I purchased as an adult was from a Gibsons in Lewsville Texas. It was a Mossberge pump 12. I loved that place. That was back in 1980 and there was zero paperwork to fill out. I paid for it and carried it right out of the store.

03Lightningrocks

I bet many here remember buying ammo at the hardware stores. I even remember a small grocery store in Somerset Kentucky where my dad would buy ammo.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

JohnSmallTX wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:08 pm I planned a grocery shopping trip today to my local WalMart store (Conroe) – a store in which I’ve OC’ed countless times. However, this trip I was not CC/OC’ing. As I entered the store there were NO 06/07 signs visible.

I thought I’d ask the Greeter on my way out if she knew any details regarding the rumored change in their OC policy. You would think a Greeter should know these kinds of things since they would be the first person to encounter the person OC’ing. I politely asked her and all I got a blank look in reply. After hesitating a while she replied she didn’t know anything about a change of OC firearm policy.

I knew I was within 15 feet of the door where the store’s Security Personnel resided, so I politely asked her if I could chat with a Security person – surely they should know about the rumored change.

A Security person promptly came out. I politely asked the questions, has there been a change in the store’s OC policy and if so, what are the details?

She seemed a little surprised at my questions, but was quick to reply – there has been NO change in the store’s OC policy. Their policy has been and is they will observe a person entering the store OC’ing. If the OC person appears to be a threat or if they become a threat, the OC person will be asked to leave the store. It is at the store’s discretion whether they ask the OC person to leave or to allow the OC person to remain the in the store. She repeated this discretion policy 2 or 3 times.
I thanked her for her very detailed reply and exited the store.

For the time being, I’ll wait til some dust settles and things cool off and then reconsider OC’ing at WalMart.

I’m not sure how other WalMart stores are addressing the “new” OC policy. I can only report regarding the Conroe store.
Folks there are barely breaking minimum wage to support their own families. Why not just be discreet about it?
I get the passion, but dang man, why even go there?

The greeter and security folks have NO say in the matter whatsoever. The ol sayin...stop while you’re ahead...

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

parabelum wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 pm

Folks there are barely breaking minimum wage to support their own families. Why not just be discreet about it?
I get the passion, but dang man, why even go there?

The greeter and security folks have NO say in the matter whatsoever. The ol sayin...stop while you’re ahead...
I judged that inquiry as an attempt to see if Wal-Mart had really "put its money where its mouth is" and enacted a policy change versus just trumpeting about one to the media and not altering the way that it does business. I worked in a large corporation that had some interesting policies and worked hard to make sure that all of its management knew about those policies AND conveyed them to the work force. Not every company is as vigorous in the dissemination of policy. And, in some cases, it does take weeks and even months before any details about a new policy filter down to those that are expected to carry it out. I've never seen how Wal-Mart informs its managers so I won't speculate.

My editorial comment is that Wal-Mart has an overly generous policy of dealing with shop-lifters and thieves. In some places, they do seem to have security and will pursue shoplifters and in others, not so much. I cannot imagine them more vigorously enforcing a no-OC policy than they do policies against shoplifting.

I try to make a habit out of talking to Wal-Mart greeters while entering and exiting stores. One of them I believed knew me by sight as I did her. After OC was implemented, I paused one time and asked her if she had seen anyone carrying a visible firearm and she said that she had. I was most interested in her reaction and was curious to see if she had any specific instruction regarding OC. If she had been instructed, she didn't share it but said that she had her LTC and was happy to see people exercising their rights. I think that collecting information from others is not a bad thing.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Maxwell »

Robert*PPS wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:57 pm I noticed a new sign at Walmart this Saturday. It said something to the effect that carrying a firearm is illegal unless the person is licensed under Chapter 4....blah blah blah. I've never seen a sign like this before, but it was not 30.06, so....
That's a TABC sign. Standard at anyplace that sell alcohol in any form.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

TreyHouston wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:51 am
carlson1 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:37 am
crazy2medic wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:18 am The wife wants to grab a few things at wally world when I get off work today, I'll let ya'll know if they throw me out for open carrying!
Why would you take a chance of them telling you that your not allowed back with a firearm at all? I don’t agree with their policy, but it is their business. I wouldn’t want to take the. Vance of being told I can’t come back with a firearm.
You really think they would remember you?
I didn't see this link posted anywhere, but it fits here.
https://concealednation.org/2019/09/vid ... n-walmart/
While police have not filed any charges against the man, a Lexington, Kentucky Walmart has made him sign a statement that he is aware of his nationwide ban at all Walmart locations.

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

:cryin

I remember all those stores you old guys are naming that have gone out of business. You know what that means? I'm Image

:lol:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”