Walmart has fallen!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 22

Re: Walmart has fallen!

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Does the public announcement by WalMart to not open carry in their stores serve as notice or does that only apply when they are speaking to you directly? Otherwise, they will need to post the appropriate signage under Texas law.

I am not saying I think folks should open carry if no signage. That is up to each person.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Oldgringo »

philip964 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:48 pm Plenty of ammo still on the shelves.
Texas CHL Forum blocked on their WiFi.
Gateway to Airguns Forum is also blocked on Walmart's WiFi. So, use your phone or go elsewhere. Walmart is here to stay.

I kinda' like catching a seat at a Walmart entrance/exit and just watchin'. It's kinda' like going to the circus or the County Fairs of old. You old enough to reckon County Fairs

03Lightningrocks

Oldgringo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:27 pm
philip964 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:48 pm Plenty of ammo still on the shelves.
Texas CHL Forum blocked on their WiFi.
Gateway to Airguns Forum is also blocked on Walmart's WiFi. So, use your phone or go elsewhere. Walmart is here to stay.

I kinda' like catching a seat at a Walmart entrance/exit and just watchin'. It's kinda' like going to the circus or the County Fairs of old. You old enough to reckon County Fairs
:smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: I use to think it was just the walmart I went to. Then I realized it is all of them.

Oh, and you forgot to say, "Now get off my grass".

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

ScottDLS wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:12 pm
parabelum wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:55 pm Late to chime in but here’s my $0.02...it is private business. They can do whatever they want, as they should. As for me, there are so many great online retailers and few local brick& mortar stores that WM is not a issue. Matter of fact, I’ve gotten just as good if not better deals online, with shipping baked in than WM.

I can get folks ticked off at WM, but it is their business. Let it be.

They have good prices on fish oil tho 🤷‍♂️
Actually it’s my business. I’m a shareholder. I want all of you to open carry in my stores. My hired management CEO doesn’t, but unless he avails himself of the statutory mechanisms to bar you from carrying in Texas, I say just ignore him, though to avoid hassle you may want to conceal. :rules:
😂!!!

carlson1
Posts in topic: 17

Post by carlson1 »

Oldgringo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:27 pm ...So, use your phone or go elsewhere. Walmart is here to stay.
Yea Kmart and Montgomery Wards thought that too. I know you are old enough to remember those. :anamatedbanana

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

Walmart is a charter member of the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, organized by Walmart and Everytown for Gun Safety.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/walma ... rtnership/

Done with them yet?
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

SIGFan43
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SIGFan43 »

I have already found less expensive items at Dollar General and Brookshire's, and they taste better, too. Not to mention that both these stores are less crowded and more friendly and helpful to customers. I'm well on my way to never going inside Walmart again. My main concern is not the banning of open carry there, but the letter Walmart CEO wrote to Congress supporting a renewed ban on so-called "assault weapons." I don't own one, but this is a major slippery slope on Walmart's part.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

bbhack wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:12 am
Walmart is a charter member of the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, organized by Walmart and Everytown for Gun Safety.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/walma ... rtnership/

Done with them yet?
Clear indication that Walmart has turned their backs on the 2nd Amendment.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K.Mooneyham »

SIGFan43 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:04 am I have already found less expensive items at Dollar General and Brookshire's, and they taste better, too. Not to mention that both these stores are less crowded and more friendly and helpful to customers. I'm well on my way to never going inside Walmart again. My main concern is not the banning of open carry there, but the letter Walmart CEO wrote to Congress supporting a renewed ban on so-called "assault weapons." I don't own one, but this is a major slippery slope on Walmart's part.
:iagree: That right there, the highlighted statement. That is a multi-billion dollar corporation throwing its weight around like a passive-aggressive bully. Like I said elsewhere in this forum, the wife and I are DONE with shopping at Walmart. My money may not mean anything to them, but hopefully it will to the other establishments in my town, and in other towns/cities in my area of the state. Not only that, but if local retailers, or smaller chains get more business, maybe that will entice others to open places, as well. And the more retailers, the more competition...and that generally means lower prices. I was a fool for convenience once upon a time, but these days, I can clearly see these near-monopolies for the problems they bring.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:20 pm Does the public announcement by WalMart to not open carry in their stores serve as notice or does that only apply when they are speaking to you directly? Otherwise, they will need to post the appropriate signage under Texas law.

I am not saying I think folks should open carry if no signage. That is up to each person.
IANAL, but here are my thoughts.

Their public announcement said that they would prefer customers not carry openly. I don't think an expressed preference is valid notice regardless of form. If they had said that customers can not carry openly, that would be a different story, and might be valid notice for anyone who received that message directly, as opposed to second hand heresay accounts.

Practically speaking this is a distinction without a difference. If you OC, and someone notices (not a guarantee, in my experience), then you will be asked to cover it up, at a minimum. So best not to OC there, IMHO.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:53 pm
Oldgringo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:27 pm ...So, use your phone or go elsewhere. Walmart is here to stay.
Yea Kmart and Montgomery Wards thought that too. I know you are old enough to remember those. :anamatedbanana
:iagree:

I think retail in general is a dying business. As people get more and more comfortable with online purchases, the main thing that retailers have going for them is timing of purchases. And with overnight shipping that means something you can't wait at least 24 hours to get.

The other advantage that is hard to replicate is the ability to get your hands on something before making a purchase decision. But there are very few things we buy where that is worth the extra cost that comes with B&M retailers.

My wife is a good test case on this. When I first met her 12 years ago, she had never bought anything online. Now she even buys her groceries online and has them delivered to the house. Her last holdout item is clothing.

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:07 pm :iagree:

I think retail in general is a dying business. As people get more and more comfortable with online purchases, the main thing that retailers have going for them is timing of purchases. And with overnight shipping that means something you can't wait at least 24 hours to get.

The other advantage that is hard to replicate is the ability to get your hands on something before making a purchase decision. But there are very few things we buy where that is worth the extra cost that comes with B&M retailers.

My wife is a good test case on this. When I first met her 12 years ago, she had never bought anything online. Now she even buys her groceries online and has them delivered to the house. Her last holdout item is clothing.
Walmart is of course a major presence in online retail. I really want to avoid them online, but that funnels more money to Amazon, which is a bigger threat to the American way of life. Things are hard right now.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

03Lightningrocks

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:57 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:20 pm Does the public announcement by WalMart to not open carry in their stores serve as notice or does that only apply when they are speaking to you directly? Otherwise, they will need to post the appropriate signage under Texas law.

IANAL, but here are my thoughts.

Their public announcement said that they would prefer customers not carry openly. I don't think an expressed preference is valid notice regardless of form. If they had said that customers can not carry openly, that would be a different story, and might be valid notice for anyone who received that message directly, as opposed to second hand heresay accounts.

Practically speaking this is a distinction without a difference. If you OC, and someone notices (not a guarantee, in my experience), then you will be asked to cover it up, at a minimum. So best not to OC there, IMHO.
Thanks. I agree that OC in a walmart at this point is not a great idea. My guess is that at some point they will post their stores. Hopefully not with 30.06.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

bbhack wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:52 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:07 pm :iagree:

Walmart is of course a major presence in online retail. I really want to avoid them online, but that funnels more money to Amazon, which is a bigger threat to the American way of life. Things are hard right now.
That is a challenge right there. It is almost impossible to entirely avoid companies that are against our political beliefs. If not the retailer, then the manufacturer, or suppliers, etc. Personally, I just try to choose the "lesser of the evils" in this regard.

I am, of course, talking about non-firearm related things I buy.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mojo84 »

www.theblaze.com/news/gun-range-tries-t ... the-gallon
Texas gun range tags Walmart in posts promoting its dispensers that sell bullets by the pound
Walmart recently announced that it would stop selling certain types of ammunition
Image Source: Alpine Shooting Range Facebook post
MIKE CIANDELLA
A gun range in Fort Worth, Texas, has introduced an "ammo bar" to sell bullets by the pound, as a counter to Walmart's decision to no longer sell certain types of ammunition.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”