300 blackout for subsonic suppressed rounds

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 3

300 blackout for subsonic suppressed rounds

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I’m looking for a 300 blackout upper 16 inch barrel. What twist rate, manufactures?

Looking for another hog gun, I have an AR-10 and a 458 SoCom.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 300 blackout for subsonic suppressed rounds

Post by flintknapper »

I'm guessing you are wanting something that is quieter to shoot with?

The Blackout...while I am not a fan of it...is tailor made for Subsonic/Suppressed. Probably best used at 125 yds. or less for hogs.

You already have two of the best Hog calibers (IMO). But nothing wrong with having another. I'm sure someone will come along shortly with some advice on manufacturers, etc...
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

I have a Radical Firearms upper in 300 Blackout. I use it for hog hunting with a suppressor, but I don't shoot subsonic loads.
It was working pretty well for me for a couple of years, but the last two hogs I shot made it into the brush and weren't recovered. I'm hunting at night with a thermal sight. If the hogs get much more than 50 yards into the brush they're hard to find at night, even with a thermal monocular!

Previously I was using an AR-10 shooting .308 bullets and if I lose another hog I'll probably switch back to it.

I rate the 300 BLK as roughly equal to the 7.62X39 (AK-47) round. It's sufficient for hogs but shot placement may be slightly more critical than with a 6.5 Grendel or a 6.8SPC. My shots are typically around 100 yards or less, never over 150 yards. Remember, I'm not shooting subsonic loads.

My original intention was to use subsonic rounds when shooting at a feeder (generally 60-70 yards max range) but even there I've concluded that it's too underpowered.

Your Mileage May Vary. I'm just an average marksman. Someone who shoots better will obviously get better results.
But if the next hog I shoot runs off, the AR-10 is coming back out …

Back to the original question — I have had no problems with the Radical Firearms upper in 300 BLK.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I just wanted to add that the 300 blackout was also tailored to shorter barrels. If the goal is to keep it on a regular rifle lower then continue, however if you have a pistol or sbr lower, you could save a substantial amount of weight with an 8-10 inch barrel. 300 blackout really doesn’t start losing much velocity until around the 9inch mark or so. If you want strictly subs I would stick with a 8 inch, for a combination of subs and supers a 10 inch would work great.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

der Teufel wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:27 pm I have a Radical Firearms upper in 300 Blackout. I use it for hog hunting with a suppressor, but I don't shoot subsonic loads.
It was working pretty well for me for a couple of years, but the last two hogs I shot made it into the brush and weren't recovered. I'm hunting at night with a thermal sight. If the hogs get much more than 50 yards into the brush they're hard to find at night, even with a thermal monocular!

Previously I was using an AR-10 shooting .308 bullets and if I lose another hog I'll probably switch back to it.

I rate the 300 BLK as roughly equal to the 7.62X39 (AK-47) round. It's sufficient for hogs but shot placement may be slightly more critical than with a 6.5 Grendel or a 6.8SPC. My shots are typically around 100 yards or less, never over 150 yards. Remember, I'm not shooting subsonic loads.

My original intention was to use subsonic rounds when shooting at a feeder (generally 60-70 yards max range) but even there I've concluded that it's too underpowered.

Your Mileage May Vary. I'm just an average marksman. Someone who shoots better will obviously get better results.

Back to the original question — I have had no problems with the Radical Firearms upper in 300 BLK.
I was initially big on the heavy subsonics too. I figured that the velocity/energy on target at close ranges would be on par with a +P .45 ACP. The problem is getting the bullet to do more than just poke a hole into something. I stopped relying on it for a subsonic HD rifle after I dug one of my own 208 grain A-Max out of the dirt berm at ETTS, which I had fired from about 25 yards away. All it did was knock the polymer tip off the bullet. Other than that and the rifling marks, it could probably be refired. After that, I’ve focused on supersonics ever since, and kind of given up on subsonics for now. When I can find commercially available heavy for caliber hollowpoints that will perform at subsonic velocities, I’ll revisit subsonics.

Mine has a 10.5” barrel, with a 1:8.5 twist. The length is close to or right in line with original specifications for the cartridge. You don’t really need 16" to get all the performance you can out of it. OTH, it means either a pistol build, or a registered SBR.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:52 pm
der Teufel wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:27 pm I have a Radical Firearms upper in 300 Blackout. I use it for hog hunting with a suppressor, but I don't shoot subsonic loads.

I was initially big on the heavy subsonics too. I figured that the velocity/energy on target at close ranges would be on par with a +P .45 ACP. The problem is getting the bullet to do more than just poke a hole into something. I stopped relying on it for a subsonic HD rifle after I dug one of my own 208 grain A-Max out of the dirt berm at ETTS, which I had fired from about 25 yards away. All it did was knock the polymer tip off the bullet. Other than that and the rifling marks, it could probably be refired. After that, I’ve focused on supersonics ever since, and kind of given up on subsonics for now. When I can find commercially available heavy for caliber hollowpoints that will perform at subsonic velocities, I’ll revisit subsonics.

Mine has a 10.5” barrel, with a 1:8.5 twist. The length is close to or right in line with original specifications for the cartridge. You don’t really need 16" to get all the performance you can out of it. OTH, it means either a pistol build, or a registered SBR.
You may want to check out Lehigh Defense if you haven't already. It seems they have figured out subsonic expansion.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/index.php ... -expansion

I haven't used their Maximum Expansion ammo but I have done some water jug testing on their Close Quarters. Seems to work as advertised.

From what little I think I know, hollowpoints generally need to impact a water-based medium to properly expand.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

This is all great information, thank you.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

The Annoyed Man

troglodyte wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:13 pm

You may want to check out Lehigh Defense if you haven't already. It seems they have figured out subsonic expansion.

I haven't used their Maximum Expansion ammo but I have done some water jug testing on their Close Quarters. Seems to work as advertised.

From what little I think I know, hollowpoints generally need to impact a water-based medium to properly expand.
I've seen those before, bit it’s also $1.99/round, or $80 to top off two 20-round magazines—which is absurdly expensive for a cartridge based on 5.56 case. I switched to a suppressed 11.5" SBR in 5.56, stoked with 55 grain soft points. Louder, yes; but affordable and effective. I’ll keep using .300 Blk supers for general purpose use, but I’m not going to bother with heavy subs until someone produces a more affordable and effective load.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:20 am
troglodyte wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:13 pm

I've seen those before, bit it’s also $1.99/round, or $80 to top off two 20-round magazines—which is absurdly expensive for a cartridge based on 5.56 case. I switched to a suppressed 11.5" SBR in 5.56, stoked with 55 grain soft points. Louder, yes; but affordable and effective. I’ll keep using .300 Blk supers for general purpose use, but I’m not going to bother with heavy subs until someone produces a more affordable and effective load.

I plan on loading my own to keep costs down.

The Annoyed Man

I have the dies, cases, primers, powder, and bullets to reload for myself too, but still haven’t setup my reloading equipment since I last moved. Even so, you can buy commercial .300 Blk ammo for a LOT cheaper than $1.99/round. The price for most loads isn’t the issue, it’s the ineffectiveness of heavy .308 caliber bullets at subsonic velocities. Most heavy-for-caliber .308" diameter hunting bullets are designed to function best at velocities well above 2000 FPS. A subsonic is moving at half or less of that velocity, so expanding bullets don’t expand. They’re not even going fast enough for FMJs to yaw and upset, producing greater damage that way. Instead, they just poke a hole. The Lehigh Defense bullets are designed to expand at subsonic velocities, but they’re very expensive for the commercially loaded cartridge. The bullets alone are $63/box of 50 for the same 194 grainer that’s in their subsonic cartridge. By way of comparison, Cabelas sells the 200 grain Nosler® AccuBond® Bullets for $39.99 for a box of 50 ... still more expensive than Sierra Gamekings, but considerably less than the Lehighs. Unfortunately, they won’t expand at subsonic velocities.

#TINVOWOOT

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Hornady has some sub sonic that are supposed to expand too but I have no first hand knowledge of them.

I only run supers. My backpack gun with a 10.3" Ballistic Advantage barrel which stays in the car/truck, is loaded with Barnes 110gr Vor-Tx. I shot a 6x6 elk with it recently. It was a mercy kill on an old animal and was sickly. At 30 yards quartering away, I aimed a little too far back and believe I got more lung than anything. The bullet did not go thru, the elk buckled, trotted about 25 yards, stood still for about 10 seconds and then fell over. When I flipped him over to check for an exit hole, I about gagged. There was a volleyball sized cyst that was cracked open. I'm surprised it wasn't maggot infested. While curious what the chest cavity looked like, I didn't want to cut him open.

For self defense, I think I'm good with what I got.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”