Sig Sauer 938 Questions

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Sig Sauer 938 Questions

Post by carlson1 »

Are there anyone who carries a Sig Sauer 938? Do you pocket carry this pistol? I don’t think I would feel very comfortable with a 1911 cocked and locked in my pocket. If you are going to belt carry this pistol why not just carry a little larger pistol?

I have an opportunity to buy one, but can’t justify it other than to help a church member.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sug Sauer 938 Questions

Post by Flightmare »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:10 pm Are there anyone who carries a Sig Sauer 938? Do you pocket carry this pistol? I don’t think I would feel very comfortable with a 1911 cocked and locked in my pocket. If you are going to belt carry this pistol why not just carry a little larger pistol?

I have an opportunity to buy one, but can’t justify it other than to help a church member.
I did pocket carry the P938 as well as it's little brother the P238 (.380). You can't tell I'm carrying either and I can draw fairly easily with a desantis nemesis pocket holster. I've upgraded to the Sig P365 for capacity, and still pocket carry. The safety is reasonably stiff and low profile enough so as not to snag on something by accident.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

bfm1851

Post by bfm1851 »

Because of work requirements the only way I could carry was pocket. That plus I'm a 1911 type guy forced me to carry in my front pocket. I wasn't to keen on carrying condition 1 in my pocket so I bought a good holster that covers trigger and carried my sig 938 empty for about a month. Never had a problem even when I put my hands in my pocket and walked around. So I loaded it up put a round in the chamber engaged safety. That was over 7 years ago and I carry every day.
Only thing you have to get use to is that you lose that one pocket for anything else which took some adjustment. Now that I'm retired I wear cargo shorts about every day, with the extra large pockets it makes everything easier.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I carried one for a while but OWB, I only pocket carry when I’m doing yard work but I have a specific handgun for that.

DEB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DEB »

I just bought one especially for pocket carry at Church. I carry cocked and locked all the time with this pistol, especially to areas that are not exactly pro-carry. Accurate little 9mm, very happy with it.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I had a friend make me a holster for mine so I could pocket carry. It covers the trigger and I do pocket carry. If I am standing a lot I will carry in my back pocket but if sitting a lot, front pocket. From time to time I may carry IWB but not often.
Carl, the guy that made mine a few years ago is not far from your church in Irving, He has a shop on Jefferson. The name of his shop is It's a Leather Ministry. See Bryan Guidry
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Mel

Post by Mel »

I carry a P938, IWB, Crossbreed Supertuck. I carry cocked & locked. When I carried larger piece my Wife complained about the indention it made in the car seat cushion.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Mine gets pocket carried a lot in a nemesis or recluse holster.

Some people feel that cocked and locked pocket carry is a bit dangerous but I would argue it is a matter or perspective. The 938 has a good 1911 ish trigger, heavy but crisp. Mine is probably 6-7 lbs. Now, virtually all of my striker fired pistols have a lighter trigger and many of them get carried in the same way. Truly, the only real difference is that you can see the mechanism on the 938 while it is hidden in the striker fired pistols. Same trigger weight but one (the 938) has a manual safety.

I would argue that the 938 carried without the safety engaged would be just as safe as carrying a striker fired gun, so long as the trigger was completely covered of course.

I do not carry it this was as I feel it was designed to be carried with the safety engaged. But I think that many people don’t realize that the 938 does not have a hair trigger. It is one safe, reliable, accurate and fine little pistol.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I carry one daily and agree with flightmare. I have a sig p365 as well but haven't found a pocket holster I like for it. Even then I will probably keep carring the 938 more often than not just because it works for me.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Thanks for all of the help. I really don’t have the. Moira because of wonderful Baylor that I have had to visit a lot recently, but a faithful man is in need so if me and my assistant can we are going to help him and maybe get the pistol as a plus.
RPBrown wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:35 am I had a friend make me a holster for mine so I could pocket carry. It covers the trigger and I do pocket carry. If I am standing a lot I will carry in my back pocket but if sitting a lot, front pocket. From time to time I may carry IWB but not often.
Carl, the guy that made mine a few years ago is not far from your church in Irving, He has a shop on Jefferson. The name of his shop is It's a Leather Ministry. See Bryan Guidry
Thank you a lot for this for my friend. If I get the pistol I will look him up.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have one as my "really small carry" gun for times when I would really, really, prefer not to be ID'd as carrying. Maybe somewhere with non-compliant signage that thinks it is compliant, etc.

I had RD Warren make me a snap over holster. The only issue is that I needed to buy a 1/4 inch wide belt since the holster, and therefore the snaps, are a lot smaller than on my other carry holsters.

For pocket carry I have never found any reason to move away from a J frame revolver.

cheezit

Re: Sig Sauer 938 Questions

Post by cheezit »

It's to large for my pockets but I have one and carry it when I need to make sure I don't print. It's also single stack so for me it carries better then my glock 26.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

We talk about holsters that cover the triggers now. I remember and I still have a holster from the 70’s where the trigger was not always covered. Below is a picture of Texas Rangers maybe from the 50’s-60’s with a 1911 in one of those holsters that didn’t cover the trigger. Enjoy.

DEB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DEB »

Has anyone tried the Sneaky Pete Holsters? I was thinking about this for my 938, and was wondering what others thought? :tiphat:
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”