Reasons to get a 1911 and which one?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

DocV
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Reasons to get a 1911 and which one?

Post by DocV »

Kimber series IIs uses a Swartz, grip-safety activated, firing pin block rather than the "series 80" trigger actuated firing pin block. The Swartz system can not have the same impact on trigger pull, etc. The issue with the Kimber is they use a "series 80" style firing pin stop that leaves a void between the firing pin stop and slide. The frame's pin lever can catch in that void and can cause either undue wear on the slide's lever pin or other issues such as the slide hanging up on the pin. The "fix" for this issue is easy. Install a "series 70" firing pin stop (which you will do anyway using a EGW or Harrison small radius stop, as those stops are common modifications that can improve slide cycling and perceived recoil). Other manufactures use Swartz systems, namely S&W. Sig and Colt and other manufacturers (Remington IIRC) use the trigger-actuated firing pin block.

As TAM mentions, some manufacturers use light firing pins and strong firing pin springs. Some accuse this combination to be responsible for light primer strikes.

One advantage of the firing pin block is added protection from accidental discharges due to dropping the pistol on its muzzle or by having a sear fail. Sear failure is not unknown. The nose of the sear can chip, the sear can crack or the sear pin can break. One would hope that owner inspections during cleaning could detect and avoid this issue but that is not guaranteed. Theoretically, the sear's half cock notch will catch the trigger on its way down to the firing pin but engineering and planning seldom stand in the way of a good disaster. Other systems are available to prevent sear failure discharges without a firing pin block. For example, gunsmith Ned Christensen, owner of m-guns.com, produced such a system called the FailArrest hammer and safety set.

A disadvantage of the firing pin block is added steps to maintaenance protocol along with more points of failures and small parts that go whereever small parts hide after dropping off the bench.

All that said, I want to caution you about buying a 1911. The confounded things can muliply like rabbits. I just counted four Colts 1911s in my safe along with an embarrassing number of other 1911s. Two of my Colts are custom shop guns. Two Colts are still NIB although they are almost 8 years old. None of my Colts have a firing pin stop. So whateever you do, exercise caution when the 1911 buying fever strikes. If you find a really good deal on a Colt, Ed Brown, Volkmann, Wilson Combat, Springfield, or Guncrafter Industries No Name , it would probably be best if you just get in touch with me so I can remove it from circulation for you.

flechero
Posts in topic: 9

Post by flechero »

DocV wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:20 pm All that said, I want to caution you about buying a 1911. The confounded things can multiply like rabbits.
That is God's honest truth! :lol:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

flechero wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:26 am
DocV wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:20 pm All that said, I want to caution you about buying a 1911. The confounded things can multiply like rabbits.
It was at my house for a while too, although we’ve managed to trim that back a little bit. I’m down to 2, my son to 2, and my DIL still has 1. That’s 5 under roof, but in 2 different safes. The struggle is real, but there is hope, and here’s a workable strategy: if you spend all your money on Glocks, ARs, and lever actions (another addiction), you won’t have enough left to fuel a 1911 addiction.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:31 am
flechero wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:26 am
It was at my house for a while too, although we’ve managed to trim that back a little bit. I’m down to 2, my son to 2, and my DIL still has 1. That’s 5 under roof, but in 2 different safes. The struggle is real, but there is hope, and here’s a workable strategy: if you spend all your money on Glocks, ARs, and lever actions (another addiction), you won’t have enough left to fuel a 1911 addiction.
This post actually made me take a look at my collection. I have them ranging from an inexpensive to custom expensive models.
After my count, I decided I must need another one to have an even number. Let’s see, what is it the wife wants :mrgreen:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

flechero

Post by flechero »

RPBrown wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:36 am
This post actually made me take a look at my collection. I have them ranging from an inexpensive to custom expensive models.
After my count, I decided I must need another one to have an even number. Let’s see, what is it the wife wants :mrgreen:
Ha! I'm sitting on an even number right now... and since I'm well short of cash for what I want next, I'm safe- for a little while! :lol:

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

It also happens to be a good Proverb. :thumbs2:

Proverbs 19:11 NIV
A person’s wisdom yields patience; it is to one’s glory to overlook an offense.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

flechero wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:07 am Ha! I'm sitting on an even number right now... and since I'm well short of cash for what I want next, I'm safe- for a little while! :lol:
I only have three right now, but I have been looking at the Springfield in 10mm for a couple months and being short on cash is what has kept me safe for those months now. Income tax return time comes soon though.

A really tough choice is the Springfield XDm in 10mm now or wait and get the 1911 soon.
Steve Rothstein

flechero

Post by flechero »

I'd love to have a 10mm, although I have no practical need for it, other then an excuse to start reloading a new caliber. Which is, in part, why I bought the last one in 38 Super! :lol:

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

JRG wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:57 pm I currently EDC with 9mm and .45 Shields and Mod 2 Subcompacts, not all at the same time, one at a time in rotation. I have been toying with the idea of getting a 1911. Some of you guys have many, and some of you EDC with them.

Why do I need/want one? Why do you have one or more?

If I do decide to go ahead and get my first one, which would be a nice first 1911?

Okay, open fire..............

Joe
1. You don't need one.
2. The only reason I own one is because it was given to me by a now deceased good friend.

I have had a lot of reliability issues with 1911s, plain ones and fancy ones. I will not trust my life to one.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

flechero

Post by flechero »

LeonCarr wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:27 pm I have had a lot of reliability issues with 1911s, plain ones and fancy ones.
Those words have been uttered about every gun ever made, by one man or another. I've seen glocks and M&P's fail, even a couple of sig's and XD's. If you "have had a lot of reliability issues" with multiple 1911's, you are certainly among the minority.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

flechero wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:40 am
LeonCarr wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:27 pm I have had a lot of reliability issues with 1911s, plain ones and fancy ones.
Those words have been uttered about every gun ever made, by one man or another. I've seen glocks and M&P's fail, even a couple of sig's and XD's. If you "have had a lot of reliability issues" with multiple 1911's, you are certainly among the minority.
:iagree: Although I have had a few issues over the years, it was more with specific ammo than gun. I have a couple now that won’t feed 1 brand ammo but will feed others.
When I first got into 1911’s I had a few issues but as I found out most were caused by limp wristing
Last edited by RPBrown on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

flechero wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:40 am
I have owned 1911s (multiple) that malfunctioned FTF/FTE multiple times (5 or 6 times per 50 round box of ammo) out of the box will ball ammo.

That has never happened for me with a Glock. Ever.

YMMV, but I won't trust my life to a 1911.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

flechero

Post by flechero »

I didn't doubt you or that you had a lemon, I just noted that you are in the minority (with multiple lemons) and that no gun is perfect, even if some marketing guy writes "perfection" on the box. ;-)
YMMV
Yes, very much so. My 1911 experience is the exact opposite- I've never had a problem 1911, in any brand or configuration.
:tiphat:

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WTR »

flechero wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:39 am I didn't doubt you or that you had a lemon, I just noted that you are in the minority (with multiple lemons) and that no gun is perfect, even if some marketing guy writes "perfection" on the box. ;-)
YMMV
Yes, very much so. My 1911 experience is the exact opposite- I've never had a problem 1911, in any brand or configuration.
:tiphat:

:iagree:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”