Home Carry?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Home carry?

Do you carry at all times at home?
43%
Do you keep it close and instead of on you?
52%
Do you put it up and grab a different HDgun?
5%

Total votes: 81

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Home Carry?

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

LDP wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:53 pm
Setxjeff wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:31 pm Thanks on the dog comment. He is a true Ditch Dog ,found him on the dump road in the ditch 3 lbs. Brought him home to be mine but he adopted my wife as usual, I pity anyone who ever tries to hurt her. Vet calls him a "Great Dane Bull"
Great story. Most "best pals" come from a ditch, the pound or other such places, rarely from a breeder.

A buddy of mine was once driving down a county road and did a double take when he saw something in a ditch. Pulled over, backed up and found a pup (Border Collie) badly injured. Took her to the nearest vet and convinced him to open up on Friday night. Vet fixed her up and his unofficial diagnosis was "drunk redneck abuse". She had a broken front paw, broken jaw with missing teeth and a GSW to her hind leg.
She recovered well and is now another best man's friend at his ranch. So he now has 2 Border Collies. Awesome dogs, I tell ya!
I agree. My dog is a mix of lab/rotty. I got him from pound when he was just a puppy. Best(smartest) dog I have ever owned.

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CoffeeNut »

I usually ditch my pants and belt once I'm home for good so the carry gun goes away. I've got a shoulder holster that I use for carrying around the house.

The Bruce Willis look keeps the solicitors away.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Attachments
74230435_2621401944575333_4660740321678721024_n.jpg
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Like all LTC instructors, I cover safely securing your firearms in my classes. It’s required by DPS, but I’d do it even if it was not required. It was extremely rare that someone in class didn’t ask how I secure my firearms, so I added that to my PowerPoint and class outline.

All of my guns are in a safe, except for my daily-carry handgun. That handgun is on me every minute I’m awake, unless it is unlawful in an area I must enter, or I’m in the shower. This sometimes causes raised eyebrows and I know those folks are wondering what is causing my paranoia.

I explain that there are two reasons I want my gun on me all the time. The primary reason when I’m at home is “safe firearm storage.” I always know where my gun is and no one other than me has access to it. When the grandkids, neighbors, friends or anyone else come to visit, I don’t have to collect guns to put them in the safe. The secondary reason at home is immediate access should it be needed to defend against a sudden attack such as a kick-burglary when you have mere seconds to retrieve your self-defense firearm. When outside my home, the same two motivations apply, but in reverse order.

When you tell many folks that you carry a gun at home, you can be sure that some are going to think you are crazy. When I explain that home-carry is primarily a safe-storage policy, most people find that not only reasonable, but a pretty good idea. In my view, it's "your gun" only when it on you. When it's in drawer or cabinet, or a purse, backpack or briefcase on a counter, it's everybody's gun.

Chas.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

If I am vertical and dry, I have my handguns with me. When I am wet, they are near by and accessible. My wife has hers with her. The one we don't use is locked up.

I used to only carry when I had my pants on. Then I read John Daub's story of defending his family. I don't want to be caught as he was.
https://americanhandgunner.com/the-ayoo ... -incident/

We must each decide for ourselves which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.
Last edited by oljames3 on Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

My carry stays on my person or under my control at all times. All others are locked up. My house is for sale so we have to keep everything secure and out of sight. Also the recent full time addition of my teenage grand daughter to my household has caused major adjustment to other firearm availability.
N5PNZ

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”