Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 6

How High to Place a Demand Feeder?

Post by Crash »

Not a gun-related issue, but I didn't know where else to put it--
I make my own demand feeders from PVC pipe and my question is this: how high off the ground should the feed opening be to keep feral hogs from getting the corn? Our Hill Country whitetails are not very big and I don't want the feed opening to be so high that they can't get to it.

Appreciate any recommendations/suggestions

Crash

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How High to Place a Demand Feeder?

Post by anygunanywhere »

Pigs can’t raise their heads very high. I think 36 inches or so would be adequate.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

anygunanywhere wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:58 pm Pigs can’traise their heads very high. I think 36 inches or so would be adequate.
anygunanywhere,

"Great minds run in the same channels," or something like that--that's about what I was thinking. It take a pretty big pig to go 36" at the shoulder and, as you say, they can't raise their heads very high, so I think that 36" would do the job.

Thanks for your input,

Crash

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Crash wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:30 pm
anygunanywhere wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:58 pm Pigs can’traise their heads very high. I think 36 inches or so would be adequate.
anygunanywhere,

"Great minds run in the same channels," or something like that--that's about what I was thinking. It take a pretty big pig to go 36" at the shoulder and, as you say, they can't raise their heads very high, so I think that 36" would do the job.

Thanks for your input,

Crash
Good luck with that. I hope you succeed! I've trapped lots of hogs. I've seen them stand on their hind legs and stick their head over a 5' tall hog panel fence. I've also seen them jump over a 5' foot fence. It's true they cant raise their head very high above their shoulders. But they can dang sure stand on their hind legs anytime they want to.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Lynyrd wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:02 pm
Crash wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:30 pm
anygunanywhere,

Thanks for your input,

Crash
Good luck with that. I hope you succeed! I've trapped lots of hogs. I've seen them stand on their hind legs and stick their head over a 5' tall hog panel fence. I've also seen them jump over a 5' foot fence. It's true they cant raise their head very high above their shoulders. But they can dang sure stand on their hind legs anytime they want to.
Lynyrd,

Yeah, I thought about that, but there's a limit to how high I can put the feed opening. If I put it at 6' to keep the pigs out, that would put the top of the feeder at about 11' and I would have to have a pretty tall ladder to put the corn in the top. Also, some of the smaller, but still shootable does might not be able to reach the corn. i had a feeder like this on a ranch that had some feral hogs and they didn't bother it--probably just lucky.
We'll see what happens.
Thanks for your input

krieghoff
Posts in topic: 4

Post by krieghoff »

Crash you might also consider coons. Once word gets out that you are feeding corn, you will have the whole family dining at your expense. :biggrinjester:
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

KLB

Post by KLB »

I haven't measured the height of the tubes on my commercial demand feeder, but I've got game camera pictures of a hog chewing down. Then, as noted elsewhere, you've got to deal with raccoons. They can clean out $200 worth of feed in short order.

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

krieghoff wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:46 am Crash you might also consider coons. Once word gets out that you are feeding corn, you will have the whole family dining at your expense. :biggrinjester:
krieghoff,

I've had a demand feeder out at a lease before, on a T-post, and the opening was only a couple of feet above the ground. Maybe the coons and hogs were getting to it, but every time on was in my blind, there were lots of deer at the feeder.

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

KLB wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:42 am I haven't measured the height of the tubes on my commercial demand feeder, but I've got game camera pictures of a hog chewing down. Then, as noted elsewhere, you've got to deal with raccoons. They can clean out $200 worth of feed in short order.
KLB,

I've had a demand feeder on a T-post on another lease and the opening was only a couple of feet above the ground. There were hogs and coons on this place, but every time I was in my blind, there were plenty of deer coming to the feeder. The only reason I'm thinking about putting it higher is that another hunter told me it was a good idea.

Crash

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

Crash wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:00 pm
krieghoff wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:46 am Crash you might also consider coons. Once word gets out that you are feeding corn, you will have the whole family dining at your expense. :biggrinjester:
krieghoff,

I've had a demand feeder out at a lease before, on a T-post, and the opening was only a couple of feet above the ground. Maybe the coons and hogs were getting to it, but every time on was in my blind, there were lots of deer at the feeder.

Crash
I don't lease for deer hunting but have a fair sized ranch in the brush country. At any given time we have 14 to 15 - 2000lb. protein feeders that are free choice feeders and quite a few corn feeders of the 600 lb capacity that are timed feeders. I have pictures of coons grazing at each. I use Dukes traps to catch them. Believe me they are there and you just don't see them. If you like I can measure height and PM you that info.
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

krieghoff wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:50 pm
krieghoff,

Crash
I don't lease for deer hunting but have a fair sized ranch in the brush country. At any given time we have 14 to 15 - 2000lb. protein feeders that are free choice feeders and quite a few corn feeders of the 600 lb capacity that are timed feeders. I have pictures of coons grazing at each. I use Dukes traps to catch them. Believe me they are there and you just don't see them. If you like I can measure height and PM you that info.
Krieghoff,

Yeah, I would appreciate that. I moved the opening up to about 36" off the ground today, but I don't know if that's enough.

Crash

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

Crash wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:57 pm
krieghoff,

Crash
Krieghoff,

Yeah, I would appreciate that. I moved the opening up to about 36" off the ground today, but I don't know if that's enough.

Crash
Crash all of our protein feeders measure 40-42" ground to opening. Corn feeders don't matter since they are spin feeders. Hope this helps. I do have a few questions and or suggestions to offer if you are interested.
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

TomV

Post by TomV »

You should look into coon hoods. I seen lots of great reviews on them.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

TomV wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:05 am

You should look into coon hoods. I seen lots of great reviews on them.
They do make them for our feeders. However I would rather eliminate the problem. Thus the Dukes traps. :biggrinjester:
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”