.357 Magnum Revolver recommendations

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: .357 Magnum Revolver recommendations

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

OK, in the 'other' (a.k.a.: just because it's cool) category, get a .357 single action of your choice to go with your rifle. They're fun to shoot, relatively easy to clean, and keep you from burning thru your ammo quite as fast as you might with a double action rev. or with a semi-auto. Barrel length and finish (stainless, nickel, blued, casehardened) at your option. I'd recommend against any barrel length over 7.5". They're fun at first, but the inconvenience of holstering or carrying sets in, and they begin to feel like field artillery when aiming.
I'm partial to Ruger SA's as they're a good value, built like tanks, and the transfer bar mechanism let's you load all 6 chambers without concern. With the popularity of S.A.S.S./Cowboy action shooting, there are a lot of good alternatives out there, from a variety of manufacturers. Enjoy! :tiphat:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Armybrat
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Armybrat »

New Vaquero .357 would be a great choice:
58510BD5-6BA9-4F02-B684-363F39CADF37.jpeg

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SQLGeek wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:58 am A lever action requires a single action revolver. ;)

A 5.5" Ruger Vaquero would fit the bill nicely.
What manner of heresy is this? :bigmouth

:lol:

I thought about that for about a minute once. I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to carry a 6-shooter, hammer down on an empty chamber .... so REALLY just a 5-shooter. :mrgreen:

Also, if a pistol is the weapon you use to fight your way back to the long gun you never should have put down, why handicap yourself by having to manually cock it for every shot? Single actions are cool, but if I'm carrying a revolver and get into a gunfight, I'd rather have a double action.

I know, I know. That's probably some kind of SASS heresy, but there it is. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

montgomery
Posts in topic: 1

Post by montgomery »

J.R.@A&M wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:00 pm
Grayling813 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:55 pm Interested in pairing up a lever action rifle and revolver in same caliber. Have the lever rifle selected, need recommendations on good .357 Magnum revolvers, barrel length 3.5 to 5 inches.
If I wasn't going to conceal the revolver, and if I wanted it to digest the very same .357 magnum rounds as the rifle, then I'd be thinking either GP100 or Vaquero/New Blackhawk single actions. But I'm a Ruger nut.
Having owned and shot Colt, Smith, and Ruger, my choice would be Vaquero. Pairs nicely with a Henry.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Kimber K6 DASA, 3 inch barrel.
https://youtu.be/aOhnOsCndcY
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

There are a number of good options, including the GP 100, and the S&W 627 and 686. If you are planning to shoot .357 magnum rounds on a regular basis, I would suggest a revolver weighing at least 32 ounces, and preferably around 40 ounces.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:48 pm
Way less heretical than pairing a western classic like a lever gun with a double action revolver. :lol:
I thought about that for about a minute once. I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to carry a 6-shooter, hammer down on an empty chamber .... so REALLY just a 5-shooter. :mrgreen:
Au contraire mon ami! The transfer bar on a Vaquero means you can safely carry with all six.
Also, if a pistol is the weapon you use to fight your way back to the long gun you never should have put down, why handicap yourself by having to manually cock it for every shot? Single actions are cool, but if I'm carrying a revolver and get into a gunfight, I'd rather have a double action.
Well if we were wanting the most effective fighting weapons, it'd be an AR or AK paired with a much higher capacity semi-auto pistol. But this is a just because gun anyway per the OP so my answer stands. :mrgreen:
Psalm 91:2

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

Armybrat wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:57 pm New Vaquero .357 would be a great choice:

58510BD5-6BA9-4F02-B684-363F39CADF37.jpeg
For the win!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

The Annoyed Man

SQLGeek wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:14 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:48 pm
Way less heretical than pairing a western classic like a lever gun with a double action revolver. :lol:
Au contraire mon ami! The transfer bar on a Vaquero means you can safely carry with all six.
Well if we were wanting the most effective fighting weapons, it'd be an AR or AK paired with a much higher capacity semi-auto pistol. But this is a just because gun anyway per the OP so my answer stands. :mrgreen:
http://sheriffjimwilson.com/2011/09/09/ ... the-hawgs/
In the dark, I crawled past what looked like a big log and was doing just fine until that log tried to eat me! Fortunately, things were sorted out before I needed band aids and I began to haul the (now) dead hog up to the rim. My two hunters were standing up there with big grins on their faces having a good laugh.

“Well, boys,” I said. “I sure am glad I was able to entertain you.”

“Oh, Sheriff,” they snickered, “we weren’t laughing at you. We’d just never heard a single-action sixgun go full automatic before!”
"rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

:lol: Hog country? Glock 20 please.
Psalm 91:2

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

Ruger SP-101, 3", da/sa. My daily carry (for the last 9 years) on the job 5-6 days per week, and always my companion of choice any other time in the woods. In Dec. of 2015 I traded into a 16" stainless Rossi .357 that compliments my SP-101 really well. The SP-101 still has a near daily useful purpose, whether the lever gun does or not.

If you just want to play the cowboy gun thing, get an old three screw Black Hawk and have fun.

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

The only single action revolver I have is a Heritage Rough Rider .22 with both cylinders. It’s simple enough to teach beginners the basics with CB Caps or other quiet subsonic ammo. And if you want a Big Bang just swap in the Magnum cylinder :mrgreen:

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by K-Texas »

If you have an internal debate of single-action vs double-action revolvers, consider yourself lucky. Getting close to 63 now, I feel rather blessed in finding that because my eyes are not as good as they once were, nor my hands as steady; I can shoot my GP100 as well at 7 yards in Double-Action as I can my poly-frame, striker-fired favorite.

I started handgunning over 40 years ago with both: A Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum, 6 1/2" barrel and a vintage 4" S&W M57 that belonged to friends who were brothers. The M57 made an impression I can not wash away, while the ammo we fired was likely handloaded. I didn't know a thing about how either caliber was loaded in terms of ballistics and recoil. I know that I found out right away that I did not like the Peacemaker sized revolver grip for shooting magnum ammo. Long since I've found double-actions to be more comfortable to shoot, within reason. I have no need for any handgun round more powerful than the .44 Magnum. If you like bigger and badder? Good on you.

I've done little modification to the revolver I shoot most often. I installed a lighter trigger return spring from Wolff that's just lighter than the factory spring. The hammer spring is also Wolff, but at the factory weight rating. I won't say that this is what works best for all revolvers, it's what's worked best for my Ruger DA revolvers for many years. And to the point that I find a DA trigger to be typically better than a SA trigger with new revolvers.

I couldn't care a whit about being a traditionalist. Track the history of the first revolver DA Revolver trigger mechanisms and you might find that getting them right did not come without great effort. Hollywood or not, and I mean after following the Colt Peacemaker/Single Action Army. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Armybrat

Post by Armybrat »

FDBEB8BD-E18F-412D-AC03-5BA66618974B.jpeg

The Annoyed Man

LTUME1978 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:51 pm Lots of good options. A Ruger Security Six was my first 357 back in 1974. Having owned more than a few over the years, I have found that I have a strong preference for a 5 inch barrel on a 357. A friend had a S&W Model 27 many years ago that had a 5 inch barrel and it was really sweet. Another current option is the S&W M&P R8. It is an 8 shot cylinder that uses moon clips (great for reloads) and has a 5 inch barrel. It has a rail for a light on the bottom as well as a rail on the top for an optic. They are on the expensive side but you may be able to find a good used one at a decent price. I have a Ruger GP100 now as well and it is a really robust revolver.
The 327 TRR8 is the S&W that has the removable top and bottom rails. The R8's bottom rail is integral to the barrel shroud. I bought my TRR8 from Carlson1, and I really like it. I. Fact, I just had to to the range again yesterday. I've left the rails off of mine. But absent that, I’d probably buy a 5” 686. I think the 3” GP100 is a really cool gun, and someday, I’m going to steal Longtooth's when he isn’t looking. :mrgreen: But I already own 2” .357, and I don’t need another eargeschplitten loudenboomer.....AKA, "the Noisy Cricket", so Longtooth's is safe for now. :lol:

I also have a 5” Model 29 .44 mag, and I really like that barrel length on magnum revolvers. They’re long enough to produce the kinds of velocities the magnum cartridges are known for, and to have enough weight to make recoil more comfortable, without making them harder to carry.

Anyway, a 5” S&W would be my first recommendation, followed by a 4.2" or 5" GP100. I don’t know which .357 lever rifle I’d buy, but obviously either a Henry or a Marlin. I also want one in .44 mag to match my Model 29. What I do know is that I’d go for the full length barrel rather than a 16" or 18" carbine. If the idea is to maximize a pistol caliber, then I reckon that 20" would be appropriate.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”