Replacement S&W firing pins

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dhoobler
Posts in topic: 1

Replacement S&W firing pins

Post by dhoobler »

I have a 637 Performance Center revolver. Except for the grips and the paint on the front sight, it is factory stock.

For practice, I shoot Hornady 148 gr HBWC over 2.9 grains of Titegroup (mainly because Academy stocks those bullets and that powder) and a CCI standard primer. I have used Winchester primers as well.

With the CCI primers, I get frequent misfires. I have not had misfires from any other ammunition, but I have not shot enough of other ammo to prove it won't happen.

I found some extended firing pins meant to correct this. Has anyone else replaced the stock firing pin in a S&W revolver with an extended firing pin?
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

bulletslap

Re: Replacement S&W firing pins

Post by bulletslap »

I have never replaced a new style S&W firing pin, just the Old style hammer nose type.

However I would check the end shake first, that can cause light strikes.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I replaced the one in my 686-6. I still get a couple light strikes with some ammo, but I usually keep it loaded with Federal

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

dhoobler wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:03 am I have a 637 Performance Center revolver. Except for the grips and the paint on the front sight, it is factory stock.

For practice, I shoot Hornady 148 gr HBWC over 2.9 grains of Titegroup (mainly because Academy stocks those bullets and that powder) and a CCI standard primer. I have used Winchester primers as well.

With the CCI primers, I get frequent misfires. I have not had misfires from any other ammunition, but I have not shot enough of other ammo to prove it won't happen.

I found some extended firing pins meant to correct this. Has anyone else replaced the stock firing pin in a S&W revolver with an extended firing pin?
I'm guessing you have already contacted the Performance Center? I wonder what weight rating the hammer spring is? Particularly since the J-Frames use a coil hammer spring.

With it being a PC revolver, I would think that S&W would be eager to get it running right. I also tend to use CCI500s over WSPs when they're both an option, but they're likely the 2 hardest and the FED100 might help if it has good compatibility with TiteGroup?

Since you paid a premium for the PC 637, I'd say it is incumbent on them to make it run right. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”