My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Post Reply

Topic author
K-Texas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:34 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

#1

Post by K-Texas » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

Pic from one of the game cameras mounted on the exterior of his house. The time was 5:56PM on Monday. She didn't wait for total darkness and has began terrorizing his neighborhood on the edge of his very small town. Going out to tests slugs this afternoon and the .357 Magnum shotshells I've been making. ;-)

Image
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .


LDP
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

#2

Post by LDP » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:38 pm

Sweet.
Are we invited to the roast?


Mike S
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:08 pm
Contact:

Re: My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

#3

Post by Mike S » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:42 pm

I must admit, when I read the title I thought the thread was going to have a picture of your shooting buddy rocking an M-60 machine gun. :oops:


Topic author
K-Texas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:34 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

#4

Post by K-Texas » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:57 pm

Mike S wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:42 pm
I must admit, when I read the title I thought the thread was going to have a picture of your shooting buddy rocking an M-60 machine gun. :oops:
LOL! If he had one, little piggy would have already been dispatched. The only roasting once she is dispatched won't likely leave much behind. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .


Topic author
K-Texas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:34 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

#5

Post by K-Texas » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:58 pm

Piggy got dropped yesterday by a .308 150 gr. Winchester Power Point at 75+ yards. About 3" behind her left ear and lower to around eye level. She dropped like a sack of bricks. Just a day before as we were leaving the local range, my SP got a call and pic from his wife. His neighbor asked that if the sow was on his property, could my SP please dispatch here. Exactly what occurred.

My SP has had numerous hog sightings on his property from the exterior cameras. In all case except this one, the hogs seemed to just pass through. This sow, however, decided to take up residence and terrorized the neighborhood. Maybe because of her piglets. But no more. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 25528
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

#6

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:36 pm

How big was she? I just had a tech from the cable company leave here, but while here, he told me he dropped two hogs just yesterday at his brother's place in Poolville. He said the two hogs had attacked his brother's domestic pig, fighting over its food. Gashed the domestic pig up some, but it's doing alright now. Scratch two feral hogs at fairly close range with an AR10.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

#7

Post by Lynyrd » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:17 pm

Good job! Right behind the ear and they go down instantly. In the chest, not so much.
Do what you say you're gonna do.


Topic author
K-Texas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:34 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

#8

Post by K-Texas » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:23 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:36 pm
How big was she? I just had a tech from the cable company leave here, but while here, he told me he dropped two hogs just yesterday at his brother's place in Poolville. He said the two hogs had attacked his brother's domestic pig, fighting over its food. Gashed the domestic pig up some, but it's doing alright now. Scratch two feral hogs at fairly close range with an AR10.
TAM, as you can see from the pic she was tall. Maybe not as heavy as she could be, I suspect, because she was weaning piglets. When my SP got the invite to take her out on his neighbor's property, he wasn't quite sure how he'd load it on his pickup, but he was quite pleased that his neighbor had extended the offer. She was shot on the neighbors property with a good bank of dirt behind her. A tank was on the other side of her, what we call man made watering holes out here.

He's about 35 miles NNW of me and about 45 SE of Abilene. They're getting out of hand here, but that seems to be the case all over Texas. She was bedding down near that same location in a brush thicket. It appeared she had no plans to leave, so there were several of his neighbors wanting her eradicated.

He had several options as far as gun and caliber. I made those 158 gr. XTPs I posted on with that purpose in mind as a defense precaution. We looked at Buckshot and slugs at the range on Wednesday but were not able to test the 000 Buck because the loads were old enough that they had deteriorated. No problem there because I'm gonna pull the 000 pellets for another shotshell project since they're .355"/9mm in diameter.

I encouraged him to use our 5.56mm NATO load that uses the tough 75 gr. Hornady HPBT Match w/cannelure at just over 2750 FPS from our 16" barrels and 30 rounds of opportunity. I knew though if the shot presented itself his preference was his Savage M10 in .308 Win. He got that shot exactly where he wanted to take it with the dirt barrier on the other side of her. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 25528
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

#9

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Yah gotta love some .308. :thumbs2:

I've got 2 bolt guns and a semiauto in that caliber, and they're keepers.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


Topic author
K-Texas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:34 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

#10

Post by K-Texas » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:34 pm

TAM, to my way of thinking, the .308 Winchester is one of the most useful calibers we have for anything larger than Varmints up to anything to be found in the lower 48. I'm kind of partial to the 7mm-08 REM, but it was the .308 WIN that spawned it.

Lynyrd, no doubt about it. My SP said she dropped like a sack of bricks immediately! ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

#11

Post by srothstein » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:35 pm

Mike S wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:42 pm
I must admit, when I read the title I thought the thread was going to have a picture of your shooting buddy rocking an M-60 machine gun. :oops:
Gotta love the vets among us. That was my first thought too.
Steve Rothstein

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 25528
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

#12

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:09 pm

srothstein wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:35 pm
Mike S wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:42 pm
I must admit, when I read the title I thought the thread was going to have a picture of your shooting buddy rocking an M-60 machine gun. :oops:
Gotta love the vets among us. That was my first thought too.
Not just the vets, because that was my initial thought too when I first saw the title in the active threads list.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

#13

Post by srothstein » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:06 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:09 pm
srothstein wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:35 pm
Mike S wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:42 pm
I must admit, when I read the title I thought the thread was going to have a picture of your shooting buddy rocking an M-60 machine gun. :oops:
Gotta love the vets among us. That was my first thought too.
Not just the vets, because that was my initial thought too when I first saw the title in the active threads list.
I'll buy that. Most vets who carried or worked around them knew the nickname. I wasn't aware that others would recognize it but I should have known better.
Steve Rothstein

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”