Found - Low profile Kydex pancake holster - Partial Review

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Found - Low profile Kydex pancake holster - Partial Review

#1

Post by troglodyte » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:52 pm

I’ve been searching off and on for several weeks for a low profile Kydex pancake holster. Most I have found are either large slabs that block access to your pockets and/or they have belt clips that make the holster stand away from the body.

Currently I have a leather pancake slide holster that I really like but it’s getting older. I’d like to find a minimalist low profile Kydex holster with the belt loops cut into the Kydex and not clips attached to the back.

Does anybody have any leads?
Last edited by troglodyte on Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor, School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Stop The Bleed Instructor


bubba84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:43 am

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#2

Post by bubba84 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:06 pm

Sounds like you need some kydex pancake wings for your existing holster.


https://rcsgear.com/owb-pancake-wings/


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2867
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#3

Post by flechero » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:51 pm

JM Custom Kydex. https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/

Very thoughtful designs with subtle improvements you don't see in most holsters. I've gotten several holsters from him and they are top shelf... I have a box full of holsters, as most do, but nothing from JM Custom Kydex is in my holster box. ;-)


maverick2076
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 583
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:16 am

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#4

Post by maverick2076 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:10 pm

Www.tacticalmeasure.com. Get the speed ease clips. I have one for almost all of my pistols, and I carry in them every day. Plus, they are Texan made in Lampasas.

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 10406
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#5

Post by carlson1 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:43 pm

I know it isn’t exactly what you asked for, but it is sure a great holster.

https://www.giholsters.com/product-p/hst1490.htm

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php ... t#p1272416
Image


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2867
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#6

Post by flechero » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:54 pm

carlson1 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:43 pm
I know it isn’t exactly what you asked for, but it is sure a great holster.

https://www.giholsters.com/product-p/hst1490.htm

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php ... t#p1272416
I also had that thought when reading the OP's post. Garret makes great holsters.

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 10406
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#7

Post by carlson1 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 pm

flechero wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:54 pm
carlson1 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:43 pm
I know it isn’t exactly what you asked for, but it is sure a great holster.

https://www.giholsters.com/product-p/hst1490.htm

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php ... t#p1272416
I also had that thought when reading the OP's post. Garret makes great holsters.
I have used their IWB holsters, but when the above thread was started I bought one for my 1911 and since then I have bought two more for different pistols I carry. I really like them, but I really like leather so this is the best of both worlds I guess.
Image

User avatar

Topic author
troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#8

Post by troglodyte » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:00 pm

maverick2076 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:10 pm
Www.tacticalmeasure.com. Get the speed ease clips. I have one for almost all of my pistols, and I carry in them every day. Plus, they are Texan made in Lampasas.
I ordered the multifit (fitted to an xd). Not exactly what I’m looking for but for $35 its worth a try.

Thanks for the referral.
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor, School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Stop The Bleed Instructor


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2867
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#9

Post by flechero » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:16 am

troglodyte wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:00 pm
maverick2076 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:10 pm
Www.tacticalmeasure.com. Get the speed ease clips. I have one for almost all of my pistols, and I carry in them every day. Plus, they are Texan made in Lampasas.
I ordered the multifit (fitted to an xd). Not exactly what I’m looking for but for $35 its worth a try.

Thanks for the referral.
If that is the "slide" style that leaves the muzzle exposed, just be aware that when you sit in a car, chair, etc. the gun can push up, free from the retention of the trigger guard.

Either way, be sure to give us a report after you receive and try it out! :tiphat:


maverick2076
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 583
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:16 am

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#10

Post by maverick2076 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:51 pm

I’ve never tried their multifit. Their appendix holster is ok. I like that their holsters can be ordered with a variety of different lights.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 25511
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#11

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:08 pm

Lately, I’ve been very satisfied with a fairly cheap holster from Raven Concealment called the Prerunner: https://rcsgear.com/perun-strongside-owb/. It costs $40, and holds my G19 securely and tight in close to my body. It’s fairly comfortable too, such that I bought a second one ($50), configured to carry a Glock 19/17 with a TLR-1S mounted. These holsters are ambidextrous and come with hardware for both left and right handed carry, and for vertical or FBI cant.
Image

Image
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


papabear
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Polk county

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#12

Post by papabear » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:15 am

I have the Raven Concealment wings on all my holsters. If you are in San Antonio area GT Distributers carries them.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 25511
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#13

Post by The Annoyed Man » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:47 am

papabear wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:15 am
I have the Raven Concealment wings on all my holsters. If you are in San Antonio area GT Distributers carries them.
They're probably also available on Amazon, as that's where I bought both of my RC holsters.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


papabear
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Polk county

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#14

Post by papabear » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:03 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:47 am
papabear wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:15 am
I have the Raven Concealment wings on all my holsters. If you are in San Antonio area GT Distributers carries them.
They're probably also available on Amazon, as that's where I bought both of my RC holsters.
Thank you for this heads up. I never thought about Amazon.

User avatar

couzin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 969
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 7:12 pm
Location: Terrell, Texas

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#15

Post by couzin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:13 pm

Have you considered Crossbreed? Really comfortable and fit very close. I have them for each of my carry weapons. Recommended them to couple guys at work and they bought and love them.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”