Found - Low profile Kydex pancake holster - Partial Review

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Re: Found - Low profile Kydex pancake holster - Partial review

#16

Post by troglodyte » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:51 pm

I received my holster last Tuesday. That night I tried it on and liked the way it blended in with my belt and was low profile enough that I could still get into my jean pockets. I did have to wear it at about 3:30 because the Kydex doesn't bend well so the angle where the belt attachment and the Kydex meet forms a little pocket and fits the point of the hip just right. It holds the gun very securely so I'm pretty pumped....

until I try to get a grip.

The space between the holster and the grip is too tight to get my middle finger into a proper position under the trigger guard to get my full grip. I don't have large fingers. I messed around with it and found if the gun sat 7/16" higher everything would be good. So now I'm a little bummed but thought I would call Tactical Measure the next morning and see if they could remold it or make some kind of correction. Phone calls go to a voice mailbox not set up and two emails, one on their site and one from my address, have not been answered. I tried to call again a few minutes ago but, again, no voicemail set up.

Maybe they went on a cruise or have come down with the flu or something. I'll give them a little while longer.

I do like the holster, I hope they can help make it right.
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor, School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Stop The Bleed Instructor


cmgee67
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#17

Post by cmgee67 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:06 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:08 pm
Lately, I’ve been very satisfied with a fairly cheap holster from Raven Concealment called the Prerunner: https://rcsgear.com/perun-strongside-owb/. It costs $40, and holds my G19 securely and tight in close to my body. It’s fairly comfortable too, such that I bought a second one ($50), configured to carry a Glock 19/17 with a TLR-1S mounted. These holsters are ambidextrous and come with hardware for both left and right handed carry, and for vertical or FBI cant.
Image

Image

How do you like that material? I saw Bravo concealment went to that. I bought a torsion holster from them in it and it seemed very flimsy. I am used to very rigid Kydex


teraph
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Re: Found - Low profile Kydex pancake holster - Partial Review

#18

Post by teraph » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:54 pm

I also have the Perun from Raven Concealment. It may not be the best holster I’ve ever used, but it is a really good holster. I second everything TAM said, but with a P320 X Full instead of a G19.

Edited to add: The material seems to flex a bit more (laterally) than kydex, which (in my opinion) is why it feels like it rides so close to my body. But it doesn’t feel flimsy at all. I spent MLK weekend sledding down Mt Hood on an inner tube without any holster related issues.
This We'll Defend

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 25528
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#19

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:20 pm

cmgee67 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:06 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:08 pm
Lately, I’ve been very satisfied with a fairly cheap holster from Raven Concealment called the Prerunner: https://rcsgear.com/perun-strongside-owb/. It costs $40, and holds my G19 securely and tight in close to my body. It’s fairly comfortable too, such that I bought a second one ($50), configured to carry a Glock 19/17 with a TLR-1S mounted. These holsters are ambidextrous and come with hardware for both left and right handed carry, and for vertical or FBI cant.
Image

Image
How do you like that material? I saw Bravo concealment went to that. I bought a torsion holster from them in it and it seemed very flimsy. I am used to very rigid Kydex
The material does feel a bit thinner than my kydex holsters, but it doesn’t feel flimsy at all. It also has a little bit of flex in; so while kydex feels thicker, it also feels like it might be more brittle. I’m wearing the holster right now. I have other holsters, including some nice leather ones —a couple of which were custom made. I wear this cheap Raven Concealment holster virtually every day. And on the days that I don’t, I’m usually wearing another cheap holster, a $40 IWB job from CYA Supply.

Plastics have revolutionized the holster industry.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

AndyC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 10693
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Garland, TX

Re: Found - Low profile Kydex pancake holster - Partial review

#20

Post by AndyC » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:02 pm

troglodyte wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:51 pm
It holds the gun very securely so I'm pretty pumped....

until I try to get a grip.

The space between the holster and the grip is too tight to get my middle finger into a proper position under the trigger guard to get my full grip. I don't have large fingers.
That's irritating - but Kydex is easily-worked so you could likely carve or sand away the relevant part of the Kydex yourself; for example cut away the section denoted by the white line that I've added to a stock pic of their holster:

Image

Probably not what you wanted to hear as it should have been done right in the first place by the designer/maker, of course, but I've often found little things I've had to tweak myself in various items over the years (including expensive holsters/firearms) to suit me. Look at that section of the holster and see if it's something you could do yourself as opposed to mailing it back, waiting weeks, etc.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club, Iraq
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

User avatar

Topic author
troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Re: Found - Low profile Kydex pancake holster - Partial review

#21

Post by troglodyte » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:44 pm

AndyC wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:02 pm
troglodyte wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:51 pm
It holds the gun very securely so I'm pretty pumped....

until I try to get a grip.

The space between the holster and the grip is too tight to get my middle finger into a proper position under the trigger guard to get my full grip. I don't have large fingers.
That's irritating - but Kydex is easily-worked so you could likely carve or sand away the relevant part of the Kydex yourself; for example cut away the section denoted by the white line that I've added to a stock pic of their holster:

Image

Probably not what you wanted to hear as it should have been done right in the first place by the designer/maker, of course, but I've often found little things I've had to tweak myself in various items over the years (including expensive holsters/firearms) to suit me. Look at that section of the holster and see if it's something you could do yourself as opposed to mailing it back, waiting weeks, etc.
I have held off carving on it in hopes Tactical Measure will make it right, if they’ll ever contact me. I’m comfortable modifying it myself but it would really be better in the gun sat 1/2” higher in the holster. The XD grip is not as angled as the Glock in the picture so the clearance between the grip and the holster is a little tight. It could work with just cutting out the area indicated but I know it would be better if the gun was raised up.

I’ll contact them again and give them the opportunity to make it right. The holster I’m using works fine so I’m not in a big hurry.
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor, School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Stop The Bleed Instructor


txhighlander
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 3:06 am

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#22

Post by txhighlander » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:14 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:08 pm
Lately, I’ve been very satisfied with a fairly cheap holster from Raven Concealment called the Prerunner: https://rcsgear.com/perun-strongside-owb/. It costs $40, and holds my G19 securely and tight in close to my body. It’s fairly comfortable too, such that I bought a second one ($50), configured to carry a Glock 19/17 with a TLR-1S mounted. These holsters are ambidextrous and come with hardware for both left and right handed carry, and for vertical or FBI cant.
Image

Image
I got my Perun in today for my Shadow MR 918 and so far it seams to be a really good holster for the money. Thanks TAM.
Truth against the world

User avatar

Topic author
troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Re: Found - Low profile Kydex pancake holster - Partial review

#23

Post by troglodyte » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:47 am

troglodyte wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:44 pm
AndyC wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:02 pm
troglodyte wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:51 pm
It holds the gun very securely so I'm pretty pumped....

until I try to get a grip.

The space between the holster and the grip is too tight to get my middle finger into a proper position under the trigger guard to get my full grip. I don't have large fingers.
That's irritating - but Kydex is easily-worked so you could likely carve or sand away the relevant part of the Kydex yourself; for example cut away the section denoted by the white line that I've added to a stock pic of their holster:

Image


Probably not what you wanted to hear as it should have been done right in the first place by the designer/maker, of course, but I've often found little things I've had to tweak myself in various items over the years (including expensive holsters/firearms) to suit me. Look at that section of the holster and see if it's something you could do yourself as opposed to mailing it back, waiting weeks, etc.
I have held off carving on it in hopes Tactical Measure will make it right, if they’ll ever contact me. I’m comfortable modifying it myself but it would really be better in the gun sat 1/2” higher in the holster. The XD grip is not as angled as the Glock in the picture so the clearance between the grip and the holster is a little tight. It could work with just cutting out the area indicated but I know it would be better if the gun was raised up.

I’ll contact them again and give them the opportunity to make it right. The holster I’m using works fine so I’m not in a big hurry.

Tactical Measures and I finally got in contact with each other. I have shipped the holster back and will update when I get it back.
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor, School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Stop The Bleed Instructor

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 25528
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: In Search Of - Low profile Kydex pancake holster

#24

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 pm

txhighlander wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:14 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:08 pm
Lately, I’ve been very satisfied with a fairly cheap holster from Raven Concealment called the Prerunner: https://rcsgear.com/perun-strongside-owb/. It costs $40, and holds my G19 securely and tight in close to my body. It’s fairly comfortable too, such that I bought a second one ($50), configured to carry a Glock 19/17 with a TLR-1S mounted. These holsters are ambidextrous and come with hardware for both left and right handed carry, and for vertical or FBI cant.
Image

Image
I got my Perun in today for my Shadow MR 918 and so far it seams to be a really good holster for the money. Thanks TAM.
Great! Glad you’re happy with it. I edc with mine, and I can’t believe such a cheap holster works so well.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”