Running weapon serial # during a traffic stop?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Running weapon serial # during a traffic stop?

Post by AF-Odin » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:57 pm

The officer has the right to disarm you, but must return the weapon at the conclusion of the encounter if you are not arrested. Had this happen just once, a loooong time ago (Oct 2005). Long story with a few comical (scary) parts. Was on I-10 south of Fort Stockton. I admit I was going about 4-5 miles over the posted speed limit and was pulled over by DPS. Two guys in the car, a 40ish Sergeant and a 20ish no-striper, The young guy did all the talking with the Sergeant watching. When I produced my (then) CHL and told him I was carrying, he got really excited and told me to get out of the car and remove my firearm. Told him I was not comfortable handling a loaded firearm in those circumstances, but he was somewhat demanding so I took off my Glock 19 in it's paddle holster. He told me to open the back door and put it on the floor--OK He then tells the Sergeant to watch me and young guy retrieves pistol in holster and takes it back to the DPS vehicle. He then tries to remove the loaded Glock from the "retention" paddle holster. I was afraid he was going to shoot himself. Sergeant still just standing there smiling. A short while later, young guy returns and tells the Sergeant that the gun was not reported stolen. He then proceeds with 20 questions and finally gets to "do you know why I pulled you over." He gives me a Warning Ticket for exceeding the posted speed limit., tells the Sergeant to watch me (again) and retrieves my pistol with the mag out and chamber cleared and holster from his vehicle and replaces all on the rear seat floor--after thumbing all of the rounds out of the magazine leaving 16 loose rounds, a magazine, and Glock with slide locked back on the floor. Young guy tells me not to return to my vehicle until they have left. Smiling Sergeant FINALLY speaks and says, "Sorry for the inconvenience, have a good trip." Guess every new guy has to train and I think procedures have gotten lot better over the years. Every other LE encounter in my 24 years of having a Texas CHL/LTC while carrying has been a NON-EVENT with extremely polite Police, Sheriff Deputies, and DPS Troopers.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC & SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:07 pm

AF-Odin wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:57 pm
The officer has the right to disarm you, but must return the weapon at the conclusion of the encounter if you are not arrested. Had this happen just once, a loooong time ago (Oct 2005). Long story with a few comical (scary) parts. Was on I-10 south of Fort Stockton. I admit I was going about 4-5 miles over the posted speed limit and was pulled over by DPS. Two guys in the car, a 40ish Sergeant and a 20ish no-striper, The young guy did all the talking with the Sergeant watching. When I produced my (then) CHL and told him I was carrying, he got really excited and told me to get out of the car and remove my firearm. Told him I was not comfortable handling a loaded firearm in those circumstances, but he was somewhat demanding so I took off my Glock 19 in it's paddle holster. He told me to open the back door and put it on the floor--OK He then tells the Sergeant to watch me and young guy retrieves pistol in holster and takes it back to the DPS vehicle. He then tries to remove the loaded Glock from the "retention" paddle holster. I was afraid he was going to shoot himself. Sergeant still just standing there smiling. A short while later, young guy returns and tells the Sergeant that the gun was not reported stolen. He then proceeds with 20 questions and finally gets to "do you know why I pulled you over." He gives me a Warning Ticket for exceeding the posted speed limit., tells the Sergeant to watch me (again) and retrieves my pistol with the mag out and chamber cleared and holster from his vehicle and replaces all on the rear seat floor--after thumbing all of the rounds out of the magazine leaving 16 loose rounds, a magazine, and Glock with slide locked back on the floor. Young guy tells me not to return to my vehicle until they have left. Smiling Sergeant FINALLY speaks and says, "Sorry for the inconvenience, have a good trip." Guess every new guy has to train and I think procedures have gotten lot better over the years. Every other LE encounter in my 24 years of having a Texas CHL/LTC while carrying has been a NON-EVENT with extremely polite Police, Sheriff Deputies, and DPS Troopers.
:shock:

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:58 pm

I would have serious concerns about handing my Para 1911 cocked and locked to anybody that is not familiar with the design!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

strogg

Post by strogg » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:19 pm

I, for one, do not mind if an officer runs the serial numbers on guns only to make sure that they're not stolen. That's good practice in my books. But the process with which they get the serial number off the firearm to run it is my main concern. That involves people who only just met to reach for and handle a loaded firearm. That is a recipe for disaster.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:23 pm

crazy2medic wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:58 pm
I would have serious concerns about handing my Para 1911 cocked and locked to anybody that is not familiar with the design!
Although I wouldn't feel happy about it, I wouldn't be as concerned about my Bretta PX4 SC while it was holstered. Manual safety DA while hammer down. I suppose a striker fired weapon needs only one mistake. A 1911 or DA/SA needs at least a series of 2 screwups.

I once got pulled over in Louisiana in a construction zone. The local officer had me unload my weapon and leave it in my front seat. Seemed pretty stupid to me having me handle the weapon in front of him. Just removing holster and gun at the same time would have made more sense. He gave me verbal warning, I reloaded and went on my way.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Hmmm wonder what would happen if I was carrying my AR15 Ghost Pistol with no serial number? :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch
Not saying that I have one but if I did...
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Remo Williams
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Syntyr wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:21 pm
Hmmm wonder what would happen if I was carrying my AR15 Ghost Pistol with no serial number? :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch
Yeah, what's the deal if you have a firearm that has no serial #?

Just asking for a friend …
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Jago668

Post by Jago668 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:01 pm

der Teufel wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm
Syntyr wrote:

You can get 80% Glock lowers, doesn't even have to be an AR15 pistol.
NRA Benefactor Member

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 pm

der Teufel wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm
Syntyr wrote:

Cant tell if there is sarcasm there but in case there isnt...

At least in Texas, some other states forbid it, you can make a gun yourself and it requires no serial number or paperwork. . You can never sell it or give it away. And it's not a SBR, SBS, machine gun, silencer, or AOW. So as long as it's a regular pistol or shotgun or rifle. There are 80% receiver kits out there that take care of most of the work for you. And nothing bigger than .50. So that 40mm chain gun is a nono!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Remo Williams
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”