Sig P365 XL???

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 9

Sig P365 XL???

Post by cmgee67 »

Howdy folks, I am looking at the P365 XL. I really like the fact it’s optic cut from the factory and the looks overall. I Like p365 but the short grip I don’t. I love the 43x and carry one but the Sig ergonomics seem much better on that gun. I’m just curious as to who has any experience with this gun and if you recommend it?

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sig P365 XL???

Post by Greybeard »

No personal experience with the XL, but a considerable amount with the original versions. For me anyway, the closest to "the perfect every day carry gun" that I have found. The "short grip" was easily fixed here by the use of 12-round magazines. Academy also stocks a $40 15-rounder - which I find too bulky.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Thank you for the info. I still would like to try the XL one of these days. I like it’s factory optic cut and Sig offers a red dot for it as well

extremist

Post by extremist »

I have one - bought it when they first came out. Love mine, shoots great, no issues. I like the longer grip. IF I'm shooting in competition, or if you've tried doing fast reloads with the P365 and 12 round mag, you may have seen the issue with trying to drop that mag fast. My hand interferes with it dropping, I have to change to a left hand mag button push. With the P365XL grip, you don't. I'm keeping my eyes open for a P365XL grip module with mag button installed and will pick one up when I can find one (they've been out of stock for a while at Sig and Osage).

Then I'll turn one of my P365s into a P365-XL - best of both short slide, longer grip.

I'm also waiting for the Holosun 407K circle/red dot to ship and will get one of those over the Romeo 0.

My last instructor qual in December was shot with my P365XL, not too challenging to get 250, I dropped one out of the 9 ring :woohoo
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Awesome! Your making me want one even more lol

bfm1851

Post by bfm1851 »

I picked up one about three weeks ago. Only one range trip so far but really like the ergonomics. Friend has one and is experiencing some trouble with going into battery during firing. He only has to bump slide and it goes right in. I have had no trouble with mine shooting 124gr ammo. I told him to strip it down and clean it well then lub. My sigs like to run a bit wet.

tk1700

Post by tk1700 »

I have the SAS model and it is great with the 12 round mag. Perfect length on the grip and carries nice. The XL is nice and the optics cut is a great feature. Sig is shipping the XL with a Sig optic installed. That might be a more cost effective way to get the XL and optic vs buying them separately.

strogg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by strogg »

@cmgee67, are you looking to replace your 43x with a 365XL?

Maybe I should put in my $0.02 on SIGs. I've heard numerous reports of rust forming on modern SIG pistols only after short periods of time. This includes Tim from Military Arms Channel with his P365 XL, and my personal experience with a P226 Legion. I didn't treat my Legion any differently than I treat any of my other firearms as far as cleaning and lubing goes, but rust started appearing, and it ended up jamming my magazine release. I have since taken that out my carry rotation, as it is the only pistol I've owned with rust issues. No gun is worth carrying if it requires extra preventative maintenance to keep running.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

strogg wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:13 am @cmgee67, are you looking to replace your 43x with a 365XL?

Maybe I should put in my $0.02 on SIGs. I've heard numerous reports of rust forming on modern SIG pistols only after short periods of time. This includes Tim from Military Arms Channel with his P365 XL, and my personal experience with a P226 Legion. I didn't treat my Legion any differently than I treat any of my other firearms as far as cleaning and lubing goes, but rust started appearing, and it ended up jamming my magazine release. I have since taken that out my carry rotation, as it is the only pistol I've owned with rust issues. No gun is worth carrying if it requires extra preventative maintenance to keep running.
Either the XL or a P320 of some sort. But yes replace my 43x. I have about 50-75 rounds down my 43x and it still looks brand new.

strogg

Post by strogg »

cmgee67 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:47 am Either the XL or a P320 of some sort. But yes replace my 43x. I have about 50-75 rounds down my 43x and it still looks brand new.
Let me know if you are selling your 43x. I may be interested in purchasing yours.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

PM sent to you
strogg wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:11 am [quote=cmgee67 post_id=<a href="tel:1277427">1277427</a> time=<a href="tel:1581688021">1581688021</a> user_id=19249]
Either the XL or a P320 of some sort. But yes replace my 43x. I have about 50-75 rounds down my 43x and it still looks brand new.
Let me know if you are selling your 43x. I may be interested in purchasing yours.
[/quote]

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

strogg wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:13 am No gun is worth carrying if it requires extra preventative maintenance to keep running.
By nature if its job, a carry gun is subjected to a much more harsh environment than the rest of your safe and should require more frequent attention, not necessarily more attention per session. How do you define extra? How often did you pull the mag release out and clean/lube it? I suspect what you call extra, many would consider routine. (and I don't mean that in any kind of offensive way)

I agree with your sentiment but treating a carry gun like a range gun is asking for issues. A carry gun should be wiped down most regularly and cleaned/lubed much more often than a the rest of the stable, IMO.

:tiphat:

strogg

Post by strogg »

flechero wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:53 am By nature if its job, a carry gun is subjected to a much more harsh environment than the rest of your safe and should require more frequent attention, not necessarily more attention per session. How do you define extra? How often did you pull the mag release out and clean/lube it? I suspect what you call extra, many would consider routine. (and I don't mean that in any kind of offensive way)

I agree with your sentiment but treating a carry gun like a range gun is asking for issues. A carry gun should be wiped down most regularly and cleaned/lubed much more often than a the rest of the stable, IMO.

:tiphat:
Let me clarify my statement. I do maintain carry guns more often than safe guns. I just have to put extra TLC into the Legion than I do any other carry gun, including other all metal firearms. The most comparable one that comes to mind is the Arex Zero 1 CP. I do not and have not ever had to clean the mag release on any firearm I've owned (not that I've never done it) except for the Legion. I honestly find it odd that I have to do that on a regular basis with it.

I do agree that what I find out of the ordinary is indeed routine for some. I am in the camp that believe overcleaning is possible, so I keep things to a minimum. Take that for what it's worth. Regardless, my SIG requires more maintenance and lube than the rest, which to me, is unacceptable, as it shows how finicky it is. I'd rather carry a less finicky firearm as a principle. To each his own, though.

Back on topic, I'm not trying to dissuade the OP from purchasing the SIG, I'm just giving him a fair warning on what might be expected. I'm not doubting the XL is a fantastic firearm, as SIG has fixed most issues stemming from the smaller brother. Otherwise, Tim from Military Arms Channel wouldn't still be carrying it, right?

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

The flexibility of the 365 platform is really nice. I've put several XL grips on regular 365 and SAS models. It's a nice update if you prefer the 12rd mags. The smart bit is that all the new 12rd mags (and 15rd mags) come with both the 365 and XL baseplates.

Another thing you can do to your regular 365 or SAS is have the flat trigger put in. Drops trigger pull about a pound. Don't really recommend people do it themselves but you can if you're brave and watch out for the safety. I've even put slide catches and/or take down levers back on SASs for those who can't live without them, and even a non-ported barrel when asked.

As for rusty Legions. I've seen one and that customer was justifiably irate. The Nitron coating is much tougher than the PVD. Little bit of Sig trivia, they did make limited numbers of black Nitron Legions for law enforcement. Those are very nice, but they're recently discontinued since nobody in LE is buying DA/SA guns these days. I grabbed one for myself and I might know where there's a few more. ;-)
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

cmgee67 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:55 pm Howdy folks, I am looking at the P365 XL. I really like the fact it’s optic cut from the factory and the looks overall. I Like p365 but the short grip I don’t. I love the 43x and carry one but the Sig ergonomics seem much better on that gun. I’m just curious as to who has any experience with this gun and if you recommend it?

Shoot Point Blank Arlington may have a 365XL in the rental case (I seem to remember seeing it last time I was there) that they would let you shoot 5 rounds through for free. Might be worth a call 682.712.0104 to see, even though it’s a long trip for you.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”