My down the road neighbor's dilemma!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Lena
Posts in topic: 5

My down the road neighbor's dilemma!

Post by Lena »

An I told you so fits well here, he is not a shooter to start recently retired also from city not here, well he bought A Taurus revolver at close to $350+tax and gun shop reloads for it shot a few at his house range he built, then called me to come over yesterday seems no crimp let a bullet move forward to lock the revolver up, I got it pushed back finally and liked to never got the release to open it to move finally gently tapping it finally released the cylinder checked all and gave it back will to open the cylinder now it takes a dowel and he said it was always (week old) very hard, I told him to get a LEO trade in Glock for much less but did not listen at all so he went back to store with it "We can send it in or you can trade it back USED on another, they offered $100 trade in as said we have no market for them to resale." He just came home disgusted beyond belief even for building the range at home. He asked me to sell it I passed on that. Local shop has trade in Glocks in 3 different Gens starting at $289.00 with $10 mags if you buy pistol limit 2 extras. I hate to see anything for anyone like this, the store told him honestly the return could take months to get it back, he did not believe that so researched that and wow looks true!
Stay Safe

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: My down the road neighbor's dilemma!

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Well, spending $350 for the revolver, but only able to get $100 for a trade-in, he might as well take advantage of the Taurus lifetime warranty and send it back for Taurus to resolve the issue.

Send it back to Taurus. They should fix it for free. Yes, the turnaround may take a while to get it back from Georgia. But he will then have a working revolver.

That being said, if he wants something to shoot in the meantime, he should buy another handgun.

After Taurus does their fixit thing, your neighbor will then have a functional revolver and another handgun.

YMMV.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by K-Texas »

Send it back to Taurus and months later you'll be lucky if they know where it is, was, or shipped to! Reality.

Also reality, and unfortunate, he's really better off to take the $100 the shop offered him and buy something that works. When older folks decide to buy a handgun for the first time they tend to believe that a revolver will be best for them. Even a Rock Island M206 or 200 at just over $200 would have been money much more wisely spent.

Something else he should have done long before building his own range and making the purchase was getting some instruction where he could have tried some revolvers as well as an auto or 2. I'd advise him to bite the bullet and take the loss. $189 more spent for a Glock trade-in, as you mentioned, would likely ease him away from the Taurus blues. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Rob72 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:41 pm
surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:57 pm
Send it back to Taurus. They should fix it for free. Yes, the turnaround may take a while to get it back from Georgia. But he will then have a working revolver.
No, he won't. It's a Taurus. :???: Seriously, if you ,like him, help him get it sent in, then sell it FTF for $250-300, and buy something better. Lesson learned, bitten once, all that. I used to contract for a LGS, and Taurus bring-backs were more common than a teenage girl's, "I've got a new Boyfriend!!!"
Agreed. I tell students it's good Taurus has a lifetime warranty, because they'll need it.
NRA lifetime member

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

I am late getting on this post. I nothing has been done hold up till you check this out.
I bought a rossi 357 from academy and took out and shot 38 sp in it for almost a year
got to the stash and found a box of Rem. 357
dropped on and it would not seat. I though it was dirty and took it home and cleaned the cyl. very
good. No it was a 38sp cyclinder in the pistol. Cried and called Braztech and they said send down and we will fix and return
I paid for a Fedex label and put it in a box and sent it to them . 29 days later Fedex rand the door and said sign here The pistol was repaired to new
cond a target showing round and names of ammo. I could not be pleased more and it is just about as nice as a S&W 19 I have. The gun has sense
had a recall along with all of the Rossi pistols (rev) but I not going to send it back but I could not be happier wit the finished product.
now Tauras own Rossi and They work under Braztec I think it the same shop that fixed my pistol. I would not jump the gun and do the wrong thing.
I was stupid for not checking it out to start with. That said you would not want the words reloads to be mentioned. They can Void the waranty/
My 2 cents worth. The recal is the gun might go off if you drop it while it is loaded. Mine is not going back even if I get more letters saying it is in recall.
ET-ret.

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

Well he still has the Taurus still cussing himself for getting it, I have no idea of what he will do honestly for only $100 I would try to return it and hope for the best, I do think he learned his lesson for the day! Not sure if he sold it if he would replace it at all just totally disgusted will all. His dream of cookouts with friends and shooting targets dissolved now.
Stay Safe

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

Adding more the neighbor shot my G19 & G17 and 1911, said he did not feel safe with them so as a tight wad got the Taurus, he has zero hobbies and has $$$ just will not spend it, he was not at all easy with the Glocks as no safety he said really he would be a liability carrying as he cant seem to remove his finger from the triggers. Lost count on how many times we warned him saying STOP. My guess is send it back pouting for 6 months and try to sell it outright and be done with it. Not even mentioning the money spent on ammo, leather, and cleaning equipment. I only said it 1 time I told you so!
Stay Safe

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

As SIA said above take advantage of Taurus’ warranty and get it fixed. It has been many many years since I dealt with customer service at Taurus they were very easy to work with.

orionengnr

Post by orionengnr »

Lots of used S&W 64 Brinks turn-ins out there.
At one point, my LGS was getting them a dozen at a time and selling them for $200 each. Pretty much everyone I know bought one, and I bought several.
I think they are going for $400-500 these days. If he wants a revolver, I would start looking for one of those.

However, the part in your last post about "can't seem to keep his finger off the trigger" is what really concerns me.
To me, "can't" really means "won't", and if he won't, he has no business around firearms.

Good luck.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

For the record glocks actually have several safeties. Trigger safety, firing pin safety, and a drop safety. None of them will keep the gun from firing if the trigger is pulled, but then again no safety should be trusted in that manner. The best safety that we all have sits between our ears. If he can’t handle a firearm without fingering a trigger, I agree he needs work, but ditching firearms altogether is the wrong approach. When I was a teenager, I felt that I needed to drive fast every time I got behind the wheel of my truck. Many speeding tickets later I learned to drive the speed limit and follow the flow of traffic. Every single person that has handled a firearm has made safety mistakes, whether it is me or Jerry Miculek.

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Some of you may have seen the thread I started asking if Taurus CS was the worst in the industry. The problem my brother had is still NOT resolved. And unless I'm mistaken, Rossi no longer exists unless the name is still applied to some single-shot and lever-action rifles/carbines. ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=98102

Editing to add that I checked online at Bud's and they still show some Rossi long-arms as Rossi USA. ;-)

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

Totally agree T. does not need a firearm period.
Stay Safe

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

:rules: “shouldn’t be around firearms.” Really? He looses his Constitutional Rights because he has had no training yet or hasn’t learned what we all think safe is. So much for “Constitutional Carry.” Who’s standards is he supposed to meet? Bloomberg’s, Biden’s, MDA, your gun club’s, etc...?

This is the perfect chance for someone to help him learn some safety, to buy a better firearm, as well as protect his family. He may need extra help. We all started somewhere.

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:23 pm :rules: “shouldn’t be around firearms.” Really? He looses his Constitutional Rights because he has had no training yet or hasn’t learned what we all think safe is. So much for “Constitutional Carry.” Who’s standards is he supposed to meet? Bloomberg’s, Biden’s, MDA, your gun club’s, etc...?

This is the perfect chance for someone to help him learn some safety, to buy a better firearm, as well as protect his family. He may need extra help. We all started somewhere.
Getting some training/assistance first would most certainly have helped. Hopefully the dealer that would only give him $100 in trade wasn't the same dealer he bought the Taurus revolver from. ;-)

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”