Shield vs. Shield EZ 2.0 in 9mm

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 2

Shield vs. Shield EZ 2.0 in 9mm

Post by mloamiller »

My wife currently has a Shield 9mm and has often commented about how hard it is to rack the slide, and some concerns about the trigger pull. Otherwise, she really likes the size, how it fits in her hand, etc.

My understanding is the Shield EZ or 2.0 addresses both of these concerns, so I'm considering getting one for her. Does anyone have any experience with the EZ they would like to share?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

seph
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shield vs. Shield EZ 2.0 in 9mm

Post by seph »

My wife has the Shield EZ but in 380. She says it's the easiest to rack from all other handguns she has used. Her only complaint is that goes through ammo too fast.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

The EZ 9mm and .380 are all quite similar in feel and action

Both are considerably easier to rack the slide than the Shield 9mm

If you are in the Houston area, I would be happy to take you to PSC range and let her try both
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

mloamiller wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:15 pm My wife currently has a Shield 9mm and has often commented about how hard it is to rack the slide, and some concerns about the trigger pull. Otherwise, she really likes the size, how it fits in her hand, etc.

My understanding is the Shield EZ or 2.0 addresses both of these concerns, so I'm considering getting one for her. Does anyone have any experience with the EZ they would like to share?
I can't really tell which pistols you are comparing.

The Shield M2.0 only has two main differences from the original: better trigger and better stippling on the grip. There are some options; laser, with or without external safety lever, and some more. https://gunworld.com/guns/the-popular-s ... ield-m2-0/

The S&W M&P9 Shield EZ M2.0 is noticeably larger than the Shield or Shield M2.0. EZ is 0.7" longer, 0.45" taller, 0.1" wider, and 2.2 oz heavier.
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/smi ... -shield-ez

The slide on the 9mm EZ is a little harder to manipulate than the slide on the 380 EZ.

Best option: Take her to a gun range that rents the S&W M&P9 Shield EZ so she can shoot it.

Second best: Take her to a gun store selling the EZ and let her handle it.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

When my Shield 1.0 was Brand New in was a beast for even me to rack the slide. Break-in helped a lot. Skateboard tape can also add friction in desired locations.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
mloamiller

Re: Shield vs. Shield 2.0 in 9mm

Post by mloamiller »

My mistake - I thought the "EZ" and the "2.0" were the same, but they aren't. The EZ is a very different pistol.

I'm asking about the Shield vs. Shield 2.0 in 9mm (subject edited accordingly).
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

oljames3

Re: Shield vs. Shield 2.0 in 9mm

Post by oljames3 »

mloamiller wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:02 pm My mistake - I thought the "EZ" and the "2.0" were the same, but they aren't. The EZ is a very different pistol.

I'm asking about the Shield vs. Shield 2.0 in 9mm (subject edited accordingly).
Almost exactly the same. I took my wife to a gun range to select a replacement for her Ruger LCR .38. She tried the M&P9 Shield M2.0, but had difficulty manipulating the slide. After shooting several pistols, she selected the Walther PPS M2 as the one she could best shoot and manipulate.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Crash

Post by Crash »

mloamiller wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:15 pm My wife currently has a Shield 9mm and has often commented about how hard it is to rack the slide, and some concerns about the trigger pull. Otherwise, she really likes the size, how it fits in her hand, etc.

mloamiller,

I have the 9mm EZ and it shoots well, but I do have a problem. Mine has the thumb safety and because I have small hands and short thumbs, when I try to disengage the thumb safety, it pulls my palm up off the grip safety and the gun won't fire. This doesn't mean your wife will have this problem, but, as others have recommended, have her try it out first.

Crash

bobby

Post by bobby »

I have owned Shield, Shield 380 ez and 9 ez...

Shield trigger ok slide hard to op nice to carry
380 ez great trigger low recoil light and very nice and slim to carry IWB
9mm ez ok snappier recoil a little bit more weight than the 380, trigger was nice but not as good as 380 (i think a heavier hammer spring)

On a side note the M&P 22 compact is the same frame size as the EZ's
Love mine for training.

last note the Glock 48 is almost the same size as the EZ's but holds 15 rds in the S15 mags.

:txflag:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”