AR Pistol Carry...the “proper/legal” way...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

AR Pistol Carry...the “proper/legal” way...

Post by parabelum »

Just was curious, AR pistols are well...pistols. So, as such you are not supposed to have it out in the open on a sling like a rifle, needs to be cased or holstered "rlol" , right?

Maybe a dumb question :???:

denwego
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR Pistol Carry...the “proper/legal” way...

Post by denwego »

Yeah, either shoulder/belt holster, or concealed. Which means really means concealed, obviously.

The better solution is, of course, drop $200 on a stamp, form 1 that baby to a SBR, and rock out.

As a matter of seriousicity, they honest to God make holsters... jeez. Image

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

We need a "fix" for the OC statue. To remove the holster requirement, "on body or its whereabouts within reach" should be more than enough. I faced the same issue yesterday, I took out my AK pistol instead of my AK and Once out of it is bag, I immediately noticed the OC requirement and it went back to the bag.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Rafe
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rafe »

denwego wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:52 pm As a matter of seriousicity, they honest to God make holsters... jeez.
There ya go! The zombie-horde-is-attacking kit:
  • Plate carrier with six 40-round 5.56 PMAGs and a honkin' Bowie knife (and maybe something tiny like a Kahr PM9) MOLLEd onto it
  • Your choice of a 5.56 battle rifle on a Blue Force sling with a PMAG D-60 clicked home
  • Drop-holster belt assembly with an 8.5" barrel AR pistol on the strong side, plus 3 more 40-round PMAGs on the other leg
Lemme add that up... Yep; 422 rounds of 5.56 in magazines interchangeable with either rifle or "sidearm." 'Course, you wouldn't be able to run--maybe barely walk right--but there ya go. You could always choose to have two matching AR pistols, one on each side, and find other places to strap on extra mags. 'Course you'd also want a level IIIA helmet with some awesome flip-up NV goggles. And probably a boot BUG; maybe put the PM9 there...heck, one for each boot...and you could stuff 4 or 5 extra mags for them in a MOLLE pocket somewhere; they're small. Oh! And a Remington 870 in a behind-the-back sheath! Could you get two sheaths to cross diagonally so you could carry two matching 870s? Hm...but where would you put all the extra shot shells you'd need to carry? Bandoliers across each shoulder might work if you could clip them to the plate carrier so they wouldn't get in the way of the rifle...

Wish I knew Photoshop well. That would make an interesting image: "the immobile urban commando."
:lol:: :smilelol5:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Rafe, I'm reminded of this famous movie scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2tAHnb06tU

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Beiruty wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:15 pm We need a "fix" for the OC statue. To remove the holster requirement, "on body or its whereabouts within reach" should be more than enough. I faced the same issue yesterday, I took out my AK pistol instead of my AK and Once out of it is bag, I immediately noticed the OC requirement and it went back to the bag.
:iagree:

It is really just an annoyance and nuisance at the very least every time I take my AR pistol in/out of my truck. :grumble

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Rafe wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:26 pm
denwego wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:52 pm As a matter of seriousicity, they honest to God make holsters... jeez.
  • Plate carrier with six 40-round 5.56 PMAGs and a honkin' Bowie knife (and maybe something tiny like a Kahr PM9) MOLLEd onto it
  • Your choice of a 5.56 battle rifle on a Blue Force sling with a PMAG D-60 clicked home
  • Drop-holster belt assembly with an 8.5" barrel AR pistol on the strong side, plus 3 more 40-round PMAGs on the other leg
Lemme add that up... Yep; 422 rounds of 5.56 in magazines interchangeable with either rifle or "sidearm." 'Course, you wouldn't be able to run--maybe barely walk right--but there ya go. You could always choose to have two matching AR pistols, one on each side, and find other places to strap on extra mags. 'Course you'd also want a level IIIA helmet with some awesome flip-up NV goggles. And probably a boot BUG; maybe put the PM9 there...heck, one for each boot...and you could stuff 4 or 5 extra mags for them in a MOLLE pocket somewhere; they're small. Oh! And a Remington 870 in a behind-the-back sheath! Could you get two sheaths to cross diagonally so you could carry two matching 870s? Hm...but where would you put all the extra shot shells you'd need to carry? Bandoliers across each shoulder might work if you could clip them to the plate carrier so they wouldn't get in the way of the rifle...

Wish I knew Photoshop well. That would make an interesting image: "the immobile urban commando."
That’s hilarious!!! "rlol"
Reminds of something I’d expect that tiger doofus (forget the name, mullet...Joe Dirt kind of dude) would yank around.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

I made a custom shoulder holster. It fits under my strong arm and drops free when needed.I will actually conceal under a coat.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Hey! Hey! Hey! Have you been peeking in my basement? I am what they call High Speed and Low Drag! "rlol" "rlol" ".
No not really I never bought any guns or they were lost in a boating accident or some such rot!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

There were holsters (as well as scabbards and parachute cases) for M1 Carbines, too.

Fun to run with, I bet.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

I'd like to have one. Any idea where to purchase?
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

denwego wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:52 pm Yeah, either shoulder/belt holster, or concealed. Which means really means concealed, obviously.

The better solution is, of course, drop $200 on a stamp, form 1 that baby to a SBR, and rock out.

As a matter of seriousicity, they honest to God make holsters... jeez. Image
I’m trying to imagine how tight you’d have to cinch up a gun belt to keep your 6 lb AR from pulling your pants down.

The OP raises an interesting question, and it seems logical that your AR pistol would have to be either holstered or in a concealment bag of some kind, if you intend to walk around in public with it lawfully.

Which is why I’m considering my next AR build will be a pistol with a LAW Tactical folding stock adapter on it, to be carried in a backpack or messenger bag of some sort. I already own a stamped SBR lower, but it’s not convenient for out of state travel.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Commander Cody wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:33 am I'd like to have one. Any idea where to purchase?
I bought one of these scabbards at Omaha’s in Fort Worth a few years ago: https://www.omahas.com/shop/shotgun-scabbard/.

$29.50 seems like a pretty reasonable price. I don’t recall what I paid for mine exactly, but it was probably somewhere between $20 and $30.

Funny thing is, it actually does work reasonably well for being so cheap.

And if you’re looking for a bag for an M1 Carbine, might as well make Bezos a little richer: https://www.amazon.com/U-S-WWII-Carbine ... B003DFSWAY.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Commander Cody wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:33 am I'd like to have one. Any idea where to purchase?
You can get nice leather scabbards in most saddlery shops. A good saddle maker could even custom fit one to your rifle.
Steve Rothstein

Rafe
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rafe »

parabelum wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:10 pm

That’s hilarious!!! "rlol"
Reminds of something I’d expect that tiger doofus (forget the name, mullet...Joe Dirt kind of dude) would yank around.
Okay. The dual shotguns work, but you can't cross them diagonally. I had to MOLLE them on kind of in a "V" formation, which makes it a little harder for me to draw them, but still works. Looks shabby right now 'cause the plate carrier and rest of the kit is black, but the shotgun sheaths are desert tan.

I'm working on trying to get the two SARRP AR holsters from Redline Pro Gear to attach securely to the drop-leg holster straps. The SARRP is Kydex, and meant to attach to a waist belt. But I don't know if the SARRP will hold the ARs close enough to the legs. I may have to add a quick-release strap up toward the stock, either buckle or Velcro. Dunno.

But the biggest problem I'm having? I think I'll need one shot shell bandolier over my strong-side shoulder only, and then find another that can be buckled around my waist above the duty belt. A bandolier over the left shoulder just completely interferes with the shoulder thing that goes up, and we can't have that!

:biggrinjester: :smilelol5:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”