For Canik pistols as well as other brands.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

For Canik pistols as well as other brands.

Post by K-Texas »

I treated, what is essentially my 9mm handload test pistol, the Canik TP9sa, to a flat-faced trigger from these good folks: https://gallowayprecision.com/ Theirs is called the Jefe and I paid all of $22.50 for it and another $18 or so for their spring kit. They make the Jefe for a number of different pistols. No shipping charge for these parts.

I decided that it was time to look into any perceivable advantage by adding a flat-faced trigger, and this seemed like a rather inexpensive way to do that test. The spring kit included a trigger bar spring and a striker-block spring. I wasn't much interested in reducing the weight of the blocker spring, but that's the way the kit comes, and I am glad it does. I've never seen a lighter striker or firing pin blocker spring than what came in the TP9sa. Some of you may have heard or experienced just how good the Canik SA triggers are, bordering into the exceptional with the 5.2" competition SFx model easily averaging under 4#.

After installing their trigger bar spring I found that the trigger pull was light enough that the pistol might need to be reserved to target shooting. After doing some simple compression tests with the kit spring it seemed to be heavier than the stock spring so I installed it, and that turned out to be the case. Now I couldn't be more pleased. I can't say you should get the spring kit because my impression is that there IS a leverage advantage with the flat-faced trigger where the face is extended beyond the distance of the curved factory trigger face. Those who are familiar with the Canik SA poly/striker pistols already know that the triggers come with an over-travel stop on the rear of the trigger, and they reset about as short as possible. Kind of a side benefit for me because I've never been much of a reset snob. Eliminating as much over-travel as possible is the bigger issue, IMO. The Jefe has no perceivable over-travel and I don't know how reset could get any shorter.

The following day after installation I did a 100 round test to ensure functioning, That included 19 rounds of a 124 gr HST handload that simulates the defense load I make for defense with the same bullet. 10 rounds chrono 1254 FPS from the 4.47" barrel, and very much +P. I did not use a timer, but it couldn't have taken much longer than 10 seconds to fire the 19 rounds at 7 yards. Counting the holes in the scoring rings afterwards was very pleasing!

If you have a Canik poly/striker pistol I can recommend the Jefe, and as I mentioned, they make it for several other pistols as well. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 8

Re: For Canik pistols as well as other brands.

Post by Beiruty »

I have the TP9SFx and I did not shoot it for while. The trigger is still factory. Do you recommend getting the same trigger/spring kit for it?

Never mind, I ordered the kit anyway.
1) Trigger
2) Spring kit
3) Grip tape
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Beiruty wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:39 am I have the TP9SFx and I did not shoot it for while. The trigger is still factory. Do you recommend getting the same trigger/spring kit for it?

1) Trigger
2) Spring kit
3) Grip tape
It's the same trigger as for the TP9sa. Think you'll like it. ;-)

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Beiruty wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:39 am I have the TP9SFx and I did not shoot it for while. The trigger is still factory. Do you recommend getting the same trigger/spring kit for it?

1) Trigger
2) Spring kit
3) Grip tape
You owe me no favors, yet I will ask for one. After you install the Galloway Precision "Jefe" trigger and test fire at your range, update this thread with your perceptions?

In my own case, it took a while to decide if adding the flat-face trigger would prove worthwhile or internet hype. Debated it for a couple months, in fact. IMO, it was worth far more than the minimum investment to find out, and that was for the TP9sa that is nearing 5 years of use while I seem to get to the range as much as anyone else who posts here

One thing I might suggest is to fire the SFx after the "Jefe" is installed before you install the spring kit. In the YouTube reviews that I've watched, where the trigger pull weight on the SFx, straight out of the box is weighed with a Lyman digital gauge, the average pull weights are easily under 4#.

My TP9sa, on the other-hand, is purely a service pistol intended to compete with something like the G17. Yet, I like this trigger probably better than I've experienced with other poly-frame, striker-fired pistols. And more than a few hammer-fired offerings.

So long as Turkey is a member of NATO, I could care less about politics. And I'm only prepared to recommend 2 Turkish manufacturers, and both Privately owned. The other being Sarsilmaz, maybe following the lead of CZ some years back in setting up their own importation/distribution firm in the USA, with SAR-USA.

For those who might be offended by either of these firms being Turkish owned, walk through your own home and count the number of products therein manufactured in China. Don't think it likely that they'll join NATO anytime soon, while Turkey still conducts democratic elections. ;-)

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Thanks for the response.
I know I "messed" with my TP9SFx

Here is some work I did 2 yrs back
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4NTAYYnZXJVr55gj9

And Here is the addition of high front Fiber sight from Dawson, so it could be still useful if the Red Dot did not work for any reason
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vPmznAWUQUopMcYJ2

It was and still one of the best factory competition pistol for the money since 2017
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fvWeNkuaqYecaf88A
Beiruty,

bobby
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bobby »

Well I have 2 Caniks, and went with the Freedomsmith triggers on both. 1st is a Elite SC and the 2nd is a SFx.

:txflag:

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

How does the grip tape hold? From my experience, they come off or start peeling after a while.
Beiruty,

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

Beiruty wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:10 am How does the grip tape hold? From my experience, they come off or start peeling after a while.
They hold up quite well... I had the SF, SFX and Elite.. All with grips on them and never had a problem.... Just be sure and clean the area really well first.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Here I tested the trigger pull on my TP9SFX
4 out of 5 less than 4lbs
Average 3lb 13oz
Attachments
20200625_101912.jpg
20200625_101926.jpg
Beiruty,

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Beiruty wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:24 am Here I tested the trigger pull on my TP9SFX
4 out of 5 less than 4lbs
Average 3lb 13oz
Definitely consistent with the other trigger gauge checks that I've seen in the reviews. In the installation video, they installed the Jefe in an SFx. I was a bit concerned at first because you can see how they provide the over-travel stop on the rear of the factory trigger. The Jefe is a bit different in its configuration, but I can not detect any over-travel. Then the reset is incredibly short, and I don't see how it could be any shorter for those who are concerned about reset. I found out everything I wanted to know with the 100 rounds I test fired, including the 19 +P level rounds I fired off at what I'd estimate as 2 rounds per second.

I was not aware of the Triggersmith version but it certainly looks good. ;-)

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

bobby wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:53 am Well I have 2 Caniks, and went with the Freedomsmith triggers on both. 1st is a Elite SC and the 2nd is a SFx.

Very beautiful guns. Nicely done.
Canik pistols are very well made pistol for unbeatable price. I shot the Elite SC and I was impressed with the trigger (no snags) and the super accurate at 5 yard.
Beiruty,

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I just installed the Jefe Trigger from Galloway. It seems it is a professional printed 3D trigger. It has a little scratchy between the the trigger safety tab and the trigger. However, the trigger break and reset feel like a tuned 1911.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nashgFayo59aNqUD7
Beiruty,

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

For more information and discussion about the Canik pistol line you can go to
https://canikfanatikforum.com/

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Friction tape added
TP(SFx.jpg
Beiruty,

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

3.5lb pull weight
TP9Sfx pull weight.jpg
Beiruty,

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”