Opinion on gunsmith situation

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Opinion on gunsmith situation

Post by PUCKER »

I think a 2nd week apprentice could've done a better job with his set of files... :tiphat:

That is really some ugly machining work - I know that you know that...but WOW! :shock:

Hope it works out to your satisfaction. :tiphat:

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Yep. Hoping for the best on this second time around with this gunsmith...whose title should be used lightly.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

JRG

Post by JRG »

So glad you got some resolution and are okay with it.

Joe

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Put them on blast in public. Do you trust their ability to fix their screw up, this time knowing that it's all on their dime? I'd get a new slide and take it to someone who isn't bad at gunsmithing.

jsenner

Post by jsenner »

I've milled out a lot of slides for sights. I've messed some of them up. one time I got rushed and missed a digit on the CNC Z axis and punched through. My very next step was to go order a new slide and eat it. it was my mistake, not the customer's. there's no excuse for handing what you got to a customer.

who knows the why. it could be, because of the bad backlog they brought in some "help" and they messed up. who knows. at the end of the day, that gunsmith needed to take responsibility over the result no matter who did it.

if you do go back to them, I'd do it with simple low value stuff to start with. see what happens. their load may let up, they calm down, and get back to doing quality work.

and seriously, switching 6-32 screws? a lot of sights come with and use 6-32 but I don't think there's a more pain in the butt thread to cut. I've had lots of tooling break trying to cut those, especially in SW slides, those tend to work harden quickly. any smith with slide experience would not ditch the better screws that came with your slide. I always try to talk folks into letting me toss the 6-32's and get them some better screws.

there will always be milling marks, but those look pretty intense. I always buff out the mill marks. it's not that hard.

anyway, glad it worked out for you in the end and they were open to fixing things. sorry you had to go through it all though.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”