Just poking fun at you 1911 guys

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Just poking fun at you 1911 guys

Post by cmgee67 »

Everyone stay safe and have a great INDEPENDENCE DAY!

flechero
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Just poking fun at you 1911 guys

Post by flechero »

I'm all for good clean fun but he opens with several strong and completely false assertions... so I dismissed it as not true and not comedy.

I think his level of 1911 knowledge is somewhere in between nadler and schiff's Russia collusion knowledge. :waiting:

strogg
Posts in topic: 6

Post by strogg »

He's right about many things, though. You have to give him credit for the following:

Kimber did ramp up production in the mid 2000s
Ruger and Springfield do make 1911s
Les Baer and Wilson do make custom firearms for a lot of money
1911s are chambered in .45 ACP
1911s have been around for a while
The guns he showcased do indeed have price tags on them
Did I miss anything?

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tex1961 »

He looks and sounds like the guy that does the active self protection videos.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 5

Post by crazy2medic »

Both my carry guns are 1911's both are made by Paraordnance
P14 14rds in the mag one in the chamber i've had it since 1994 it goes BANG! Everytime!
P12 12rds in the mag one in the chamber, i've had it about 3yrs now it goes BANG! Evertime!
Say whatever you want too that many .45acp rounds ain't nothing to sneeze at!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Rafe
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Rafe »

AndyC wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:16 am
strogg wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:13 am He's right about many things, though. You have to give him credit for the following:

Did I miss anything?
:smilelol5: :thumbs2:
Wait. He also mentioned Nighthawk. So that's another thing he's right about: Nighthawk Custom makes some nifty 1911s. :mrgreen:

In my very humble and limited experience, the only people who hate the idea of single-action triggers and a manual safety on a hard-use gun are people who have never trained sufficiently with single-action triggers and manual safeties. There are valid reasons that, for a long time, several SPECOPs units (like some Teams and Delta operators) and the FBI HRT used 1911s over other options.

Not to start something--because I own a couple--but my least favorite format for a carry gun is DA/SA/decocker. They, too, require significant training to use well...because the first round as a long-pull DA is there to dumb-down the pistol for safety's sake. But under pressure and requiring rapid doubles or triples, I've seen a lot of casual shooters send that first DA round well wide of the intended POI, and then reflexively overcompensate for round number two. Doesn't mean they don't make great carry guns...just means they take some training, just like a 1911.

I love me my (well, most of them) striker-fired pistols, and that's what I normally carry. 'Cause I don't expect to need a 20-yard hostage shot. But if I had to hit a small target at 20 yards with the first shot, give me a full-sized 1911.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Rafe
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Rafe »

Oh, and did it strike anybody else as kinda strange that he starts out by thanking and then giving a plug to gun store he's in, and then proceeds to wave around pistols with price tags hanging from them and says, "But never buy these. Certainly never buy this Kimber. Here's a nice 1917 $3,000 collectible you might want as a museum piece, but I'd never buy any of these other 1911s..." :???:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

strogg wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:13 am He's right about many things, though. You have to give him credit for the following:

Did I miss anything?
I will give him some credit. I have seen a number of malfunctions in Kimber 1911s. That said, I have a Springer 1911, and the only thing it has failed on was some +P I tried to shoot through it. Other than that, it has been completely reliable.
NRA lifetime member

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

AndyC wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:27 am He hasn't been around long enough for me to give any credence to his opinion on pistols.
I followed him when he first started making videos but have since stopped. He’s probably trained some in the years since I stopped following him but there are too many better qualified people to follow than him that have actual experience (Pat McNamara is one I follow). It’s the same reason I never cared for Yeager. He’s gotten very popular but I still don’t see him as an authority just because he’s viewed numerous shooting videos and comments on them. What in his background makes him a firearms guru? Is it all the firearms classes he’s taken?

He’s been quoted in gun mags and I see him pushing different products but that’s simply due to companies using him to reach all his followers. He’s good at social media and he does create informative videos. Other than that he gets on my nerves as much as Yeager does.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

crazy2medic wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:27 am Both my carry guns are 1911's both are made by Paraordnance
P14 14rds in the mag one in the chamber i've had it since 1994 it goes BANG! Everytime!
P12 12rds in the mag one in the chamber, i've had it about 3yrs now it goes BANG! Evertime!
My 10mm Para P16 goes bang everytime and hits what I point it at. I carry it every day.

I also have 2 P14s that are great.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

My experience tells me that 90% of all handgun malfunctions are magazine related, 7% are operator error, 2% are ammo related, and the rest tend to be the firearm. With that said my observations also support that 90% of youtube videos are simply people being silly, 7 percent are people posting "this is how I did it", 2% is people with training on the subject, and the remainder are actual experts.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

eyedoc wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:51 pm
crazy2medic wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:27 am Both my carry guns are 1911's both are made by Paraordnance
My 10mm Para P16 goes bang everytime and hits what I point it at. I carry it every day.

I also have 2 P14s that are great.
:fire
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

All of my current (and there are a few) 1911’s go bang every round. In fact, the only 1911’s I’ve ever owned that wouldn’t were upper end Kimbers. I will not own another Kimber. As I understand it, if you get a good one, it’s a real good one but if you get a bad one, well, I’ll leave it there. If I could get one pre 2000, I might try one. I’ve heard that’s when their QC went down.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”