AMMO. Buying, selling or nothing

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Jeff B.
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AMMO. Buying, selling or nothing

Post by Jeff B. »

About the same as most here... sitting on the sidelines, keeping an eye on things. Between supply and price, I'm glad to have put up a reasonable amount of ammo in the past few years. I bought some ammo from an estate sale a couple of months ago and paid pre-Covid pricing, so it was reasonable. I saw that Midway had some low recoil 12 Ga slugs, so I bought half a dozen boxes. Of course we haven't had a slug stage in a while where I shoot, so that's a net plus! ;-)

On the longer term side, I'm picking up a more capable reloader this week as an upgrade from my RCBS RC. I've got generally small amount of reloading components, but an in luck with primers and bullets, the two thin items right now. I see reloading, specifically 9mm being a bigger part of my future activities...

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:26 amYears ago I had some plastic 357 cases and rounds.. You just threw a primer in the case and pressed a new round into the case... They were powerful enough to put dents into sheetrock (sue me, I was in my early 20's) :oops: I've not actively looked for those in years, I wonder if they are still made...
I still have a box of those rounds in plastic cases.

But Simunitions and Force on Force are similar and still made. I think they are both using metal cases, but it is the very same principle. Primer powered paint ball in a regular caliber cartridge.
Steve Rothstein

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MaduroBU »

Shortly before COVID got big I decided that I would switch from .357 Sig which I load to factory 9mm and bought a Glock 19 for exactly that purpose. Then I went to buy ammo for it and realized that there is none. Did a similar thing with a BRN-180/Anderson lower but managed to snag two of the Arabic marked 5.56 overruns from Midway.

jrs_diesel
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jrs_diesel »

Ammo seems pretty scarce, that's for sure. My son and I built my first AR earlier this year, and I was not able to find 5.56/.223 at all locally (Cabela's, Academy). I did get lucky and was able to buy a case of 55gr M193 IMI from Midway for a reasonable price (44¢/rd), and was pleasantly surprised that it arrived in three days. About the only rifle ammo I saw in stock was .22LR and 25-06. Handgun cartridges were cleaned out as well, though I think .44 mag was on the shelf at the time.
J.R.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

I have a lot of factory 30-06 (hunting type from Walmart) that I can sell if anyone is interested.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Before the COVID, and Walmart's awokening, I bought all of my ammo locally as it was cheaper, for me, to pay tax than shipping. In early March, I made two large, for me, purchases just before the shelves went bare.

In this brave, new world, I have been investigating buying online. Discussions often mention Ammoseek.com and I have been using that. The recommendations are sound. By actually watching the prices, today I was able to buy Speer Lawman 9mm 115 grain FMJ for $0.49 per round. This is a little over what I was paying for Federal HST pre COVID. I was happy to get it.

Still shooting and buying.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

grim-bob
Posts in topic: 6

Post by grim-bob »

Ouch lately.... I'm only buying at near pre-covid prices and will wait it out at higher unless things get really bad... reasonable deals are still there if you can be patient and persistent... being at the ammo counter at the right time is key. Picked up several 500rd bricks of 115gr WWB 9mm about a week back for $0.26 per round. Not my preferred round but it'll work and the price is right to get us to the range for a few months....
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

So academy by me had ammo this morning if you were in line when they opened the door. They had several bricks of 300 aguila and 500 wwb in 9mm. Then a bunch of fiochi 50rd boxes. Prices were all $0.24 per round or better. For today that's a great price.... Laughed at several people who turned up their nose at the fiochi boxes and walked on by but were grumbling there was no wwb left. :roll: No primers or powder today though...

If you are in midcities then 1800gunsandammo has 9mm s&b on the shelf for about $0.30 per box limit 3. I'm not buying at that price but if you are hard up they have it.
Josh

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

flechero
Posts in topic: 9

Post by flechero »

I would have bought the fiocchi and left the wwb and aguilla.

Wait, $0.24 is a "great price" and $0.30 is only if you are "hard up" price? :lol: That's a pretty narrow window.

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Tex1961 »

flechero wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:52 am I would have bought the fiocchi and left the wwb and aguilla.

Wait, $0.24 is a "great price" and $0.30 is only if you are "hard up" price? :lol: That's a pretty narrow window.
:iagree:

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:04 pm
flechero wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:52 am I would have bought the fiocchi and left the wwb and aguilla.

:iagree:
Yes it is. :biggrinjester:

Everyone has to figure out their line in the sand. $0.30 isn't as bad as many prices I have seen lately so maybe hard up isn't the right term. If you need to stock up and have nothing else it is a great price considering. I might spend that for competition loads but not for regular bulk range ammo... at least for now. I have enough that it isn't painful yet and I'm buying to keep shooting. I can stop shooting if it gets too high or switch to 22 just for fun. My line in the sand right now to keep shooting is ~$0.25-26 per round for 9mm bulk. I reserve the right to move my line at any time :anamatedbanana
Josh

Benjamin Franklin

flechero
Posts in topic: 9

Post by flechero »

I appreciate your conviction and steadfastness on price! (and I certainly didn't want to imply that your line in the sand was in the wrong place) The narrow good/bad window just made me chuckle this morning. :tiphat:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I got a hit on Ammoseek.com for Blazer Brass 9mm 115 grain FMJ at 1000 for $299.99. Cost $344.00 after tax and shipping. They sold out in about 30 minutes.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Time to be reloading for me. Dryfire is still free.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”