Patrol Officers Neutralize Hostage Taker

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Patrol Officers Neutralize Hostage Taker

Post by Excaliber »

Two Salt Lake City officers neutralized a hostage taker who was holding a knife to his victim's neck. Their expert level shooting resolved the incident with no injury to the hostage. Their actions would have been a credit to any highly trained SWAT team. Details here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Keith B

Re: Patrol Officers Neutralize Hostage Taker

Post by Keith B »

That female officer must have been very confident in her shooting skills. I am not sure I could have comfortably taken those first shots. :shock:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ELB

Post by ELB »

Preece’s family released a statement criticizing the officers’ decision to intervene with lethal force:

We feel that the actions taken in this altercation was unnecessary. Andrew was not in his right state of mind but he never wanted to hurt anyone. He had a history with law enforcement but that doesnt make him in any way less of a person. This could have been prevented by taking a few extra minutes or hour to talk him down if that’s what it would take. In our opinion it did not look like a hostage situation, rather Andrew leaning on his friend for support because it appeared that he was is some way hurt.

“They should have taken more time to talk instead of shoot and that’s gotta change,” the family said.
This statement is...psychotic.
USAF 1982-2005

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

ELB wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:35 am
Preece’s family released a statement criticizing the officers’ decision to intervene with lethal force:

We feel that the actions taken in this altercation was unnecessary. Andrew was not in his right state of mind but he never wanted to hurt anyone. He had a history with law enforcement but that doesnt make him in any way less of a person. This could have been prevented by taking a few extra minutes or hour to talk him down if that’s what it would take. In our opinion it did not look like a hostage situation, rather Andrew leaning on his friend for support because it appeared that he was is some way hurt.

“They should have taken more time to talk instead of shoot and that’s gotta change,” the family said.
This statement is...psychotic.
"This could have been prevented by taking a few extra minutes or hour to talk him down if that’s what it would take."
Uh huh. Right. Why don't Preece's family go tell that to the innocent woman--and her family--who was a slight knife-blade movement--or simply an unintentional stumble--away from bleeding out on that sidewalk.

Oh! I got it! Let's defund the police so if your daughter is held with a knife to her neck, the response to your 911 call isn't a trained and committed law enforcement officer who can actually do something to save your daughter's life, but a minimum-wage social worker who shows up three hours after your daughter is dead with the intent of setting an appointment with the poor, troubled murderer for counseling. :banghead:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

flechero

Post by flechero »

Keith B wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:24 am That female officer must have been very confident in her shooting skills. I am not sure I could have comfortably taken those first shots. :shock:
No kidding! I'm sure the camera distorted the distance a little but, either way, with adrenaline pumping, it was great control.

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

My comments on their comments:
"We feel that the actions taken in this altercation was unnecessary."
Your feelings don't matter. Facts matter. The facts are clear that Andrew was holding a knife to someones throat and threatening their life.

"Andrew was not in his right state of mind"
We agree on this one. He was also armed. That is an important fact.

"but he never wanted to hurt anyone."
That is your opinion. The evidence does not support your conclusion.

"He had a history with law enforcement but that doesn't make him in any way less of a person."
No argument; also not relevant. The officers gave him multiple opportunities to put the knife down and or release his hostage.

"This could have been prevented by taking a few extra minutes or hour to talk him down if that’s what it would take."
That is your opinion. You are also hoping that Andrew didn't decide he was done talking and slit the innocent person's throat because, as you said, he was not in his right mind.
This could have been prevented if Andrew hadn't held a knife to someone's throat. That is a fact.

In our opinion it did not look like a hostage situation, rather Andrew leaning on his friend for support because it appeared that he was is some way hurt.
Again - that is your opinion, but one has to ask: "Did you see the same video we saw?" Because it was obvious to me that this was a hostage situation.

Fact: Those police officers had seconds to access the situation and react.
They did a damn fine job given the circumstances. (Opinion)
If you don't like the way they reacted, don't put innocents in life of death situations. (Commentary)

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Wow. Sad when anyone loses their life. I truly believe that. But he obviously needed to be neutralized. Amazing shooting. Nerves of steel.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”