Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Looking for hunting round in .308 or 7.62x51

Post by C-dub »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:24 pm
The Enfield sounds like it kind of has some meaning. I would go with that one but I am a little superstitious about hunting. LOL... a little extra good karma never hurts. Just a few more weeks. I bet you are excited.
My FIL never hunted with it, but yeah kinda. I won't be able to go out until December. My wife and I are taking a motorcycle trip in three weeks and riding the Natchez Trace then coming back through northern Arkansas through the Ouachita NF & Queen Wilhemina SP. My friend and his brother will probably go next month early in the season and then take me later. The next time I could go would be Thanksgiving weekend, so that's out. It'll probably end up being December 12-13.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

If you've never hunted and get nervous, just remember to think of the game as if it's a target and the vital spot behind the shoulder is the bullseye. We clean our deer so that everything comes out intact from voice box to anus with even the buck's genitals attached. Once you learn how to do it it's a wiz to clean a deer. The main tip is starting at the rear and cut carefully around the anus and female parts for does staying close to the pelvic bones, genitals are next on a buck and you cut around them and pull them to the rear without cutting the urethra. There is a ligament that is down in the crevice where the two hams join the belly that needs to be cut to free the penis. Pulling backward will make it easier to figure out where to cut. It almost looks like bone down in there and a sharp knife will free it right up. Once all that stuff is free carefully make a surgeons incision in the belly without cutting the viscera, then put your fingers into the incision to hold down the viscera, knife between the fingers, blade edge up while cutting up to the sternum. (buy a Kevlar fish filet glove for your non cutting hand and put the blade edge up between two fingers and move knife and fingers in unison) Use a limb lopper to cut through the sternum and then cut the neck to the voice box using the finger and knife technique. (If you don't have a lopper cut through the cartilage where ribs join the sternum. Cutting through the clavicle is a little tougher) Cut the trachea and esophagus up high and then work to cut the diaphragm away from the ribs. Grab the trachea and esophagus and pull everything it to the rear. You'll reach a point were it gets hung. That's what I call the "hanger" and it will need to be cut at the back bone. If you have cut cleanly around the anus everything can be removed from the abdomen and the genitals will pull though the rear opening as well. The trachea makes a good handle to accomplish this feat. For years we did it on the tail gate of a truck, but I took my dad's 1950's veterinary surgery table to the lease and we use it now. Good hunting!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

puma guy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:40 pm If you've never hunted and get nervous, just remember to think of the game as if it's a target and the vital spot behind the shoulder is the bullseye. We clean our deer so that everything comes out intact from voice box to anus with even the buck's genitals attached. Once you learn how to do it it's a wiz to clean a deer. The main tip is starting at the rear and cut carefully around the anus and female parts for does staying close to the pelvic bones, genitals are next on a buck and you cut around them and pull them to the rear without cutting the urethra. There is a ligament that is down in the crevice where the two hams join the belly that needs to be cut to free the penis. Pulling backward will make it easier to figure out where to cut. It almost looks like bone down in there and a sharp knife will free it right up. Once all that stuff is free carefully make a surgeons incision in the belly without cutting the viscera, then put your fingers into the incision to hold down the viscera, knife between the fingers, blade edge up while cutting up to the sternum. (buy a Kevlar fish filet glove for your non cutting hand and put the blade edge up between two fingers and move knife and fingers in unison) Use a limb lopper to cut through the sternum and then cut the neck to the voice box using the finger and knife technique. (If you don't have a lopper cut through the cartilage where ribs join the sternum. Cutting through the clavicle is a little tougher) Cut the trachea and esophagus up high and then work to cut the diaphragm away from the ribs. Grab the trachea and esophagus and pull everything it to the rear. You'll reach a point were it gets hung. That's what I call the "hanger" and it will need to be cut at the back bone. If you have cut cleanly around the anus everything can be removed from the abdomen and the genitals will pull though the rear opening as well. The trachea makes a good handle to accomplish this feat. For years we did it on the tail gate of a truck, but I took my dad's 1950's veterinary surgery table to the lease and we use it now. Good hunting!
That's a pretty good tutorial! You should make up some pamphlets to sell. :biggrinjester:

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 12

Post by C-dub »

That is a pretty good description of what I've read in other places. I am going to take some surgical gloves, but hadn't thought about those kevlar fish fillet gloves. Good suggestion!

I do have a lopper and if the guys that are taking me don't have one already I was going to bring mine.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

C-dub wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:36 am That is a pretty good description of what I've read in other places. I am going to take some surgical gloves, but hadn't thought about those kevlar fish fillet gloves. Good suggestion!

I do have a lopper and if the guys that are taking me don't have one already I was going to bring mine.
I forgot to mention the surgical gloves. We use them, too. Good Luck and Good Hunting!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”