First time selling a firearm.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Re: First time selling a firearm.

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:50 pm What’s weird for you may be normal for me. I find it weird that you wouldn’t want a BOS neither sign one. That’s weird to me.
I understand both sides of the BOS thing and I don't think either one is "weird".

Those in favor a BOS would point out that it protects the seller to some extent (if it includes statements that the buyer is not precluded from owning a gun). Those statements are still unverified, but at least no one can claim that the seller should have known the buyer was a precluded person.

A BOS also protects the buyer by showing that they did in fact legally buy the gun. I even heard an urban myth that some yahoo reported his gun stolen after he sold it. That said, texts and other evidence of sale could refute a claim to that extent.

The main argument against a BOS is that the benefits (above) really don't do much for you. And you are leaving a paper trail on where a gun is that could potentially later be used by a tyrannical govt (read Harris administration) to locate and seize guns. If you give up your addresses on the BOS you also now have written records of two addresses that likely have guns in their houses.

Personally I'm fine doing a BOS if the other party wants it done. But I cross out the section for addresses.

chamberc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chamberc »

You said this was your first time selling a firearm. I've bought and sold dozens. You're in no way covered legally by the BOS.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by powerboatr »

I sold 3 of my rifles to my neighbor early last month. He just sold his house and moved back to P.R.

i got a bos and he was not of my knowledge a felon. not sure how he is transporting them to Puerto Rico.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

I have always regretted selling every firearm that I ever sold..... later.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Ed4032 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:23 pm I have always regretted selling every firearm that I ever sold..... later.
This! With one exception... I once sold a Stallard JS9 aka hipoint for 50 bucks. Best 50 bucks ever...
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I find it odd that folks who claim to be against further gun control, institute gun control of their own when selling a firearm. So are those asking for the BOS also in favor of a law requiring an FFL on private party sales? After all, it is for your own peace of mind and you can have a paper trail of the sale. Personally, I won't purchase a firearm from anyone adding gun control measures that are not already required by law. I don't mind showing a DL to verify I am a resident of Texas, but that is as far as I will go.

Truth is, the buyer is the one taking all the risks. He has no way of verifying the gun is not stolen. The seller has ZERO risk as long as he/she does not knowingly sell to a felon.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I don't understand the reluctance over a Bill of sale or receipt.

If I purchase just about anything I want and get a receipt. It's not a big deal and how we all do business in this age. If I sell a gun and later on someone does some mischief with it. I will be glad to help the authorities trace the gun to a criminal. If you sell me a gun, and it turns out later it was stolen I want to help trace the guy and catch a thief.

We don't think twice about BoS for a car, or or a grocery receipt.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

03Lightningrocks

Liberty wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:24 am I don't understand the reluctance over a Bill of sale or receipt.

If I purchase just about anything I want and get a receipt. It's not a big deal and how we all do business in this age. If I sell a gun and later on someone does some mischief with it. I will be glad to help the authorities trace the gun to a criminal. If you sell me a gun, and it turns out later it was stolen I want to help trace the guy and catch a thief.

Well a car is required by law to be registered and groceries are not under threat of being tracked by government authorities that may decide to confiscate them. The big difference is that neither is a constitutional right.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:40 pm
Liberty wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:24 am I don't understand the reluctance over a Bill of sale or receipt.

Well a car is required by law to be registered and groceries are not under threat of being tracked by government authorities that may decide to confiscate them. The big difference is that neither is a constitutional right.
I believe the vehicle is only required to be registered if you wish to operate it on public roadways. Purchasing it and using it on your own private property, I do not believe it must be registered. A receipt or bill of sale does protect the buyer in the event of a dishonest seller who wishes to claim that the firearm was stolen, when they in fact sold it themselves.

I have no issues providing a bill of sale or receipt for property I sell if the buyer wishes to have it for their own peace of mind. Just my 2 cents, and I'm no lawyer.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks

Flightmare wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:14 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:40 pm

I believe the vehicle is only required to be registered if you wish to operate it on public roadways. Purchasing it and using it on your own private property, I do not believe it must be registered. A receipt or bill of sale does protect the buyer in the event of a dishonest seller who wishes to claim that the firearm was stolen, when they in fact sold it themselves.

I have no issues providing a bill of sale or receipt for property I sell if the buyer wishes to have it for their own peace of mind. Just my 2 cents, and I'm no lawyer.
LOL... that is quite the reach. There is a difference. The vehicle is typically registered as a farm truck. I can't tell you about vehicles sitting on the dirt at some farm in the middle of nowhere. But the main difference is that owning a vehicle is NOT a constitutional right. Owning a firearm is. If the buyer wants one to have proof it is not stolen, that is a whole different animal than the seller wanting one. The seller gains NOTHING from a bill of sale other than to stave off paranoia and provide a paper trail for the government to come after the fiream.

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Killadocg23 »

I don’t see the correlation between a BOS and gun control? Maybe it flew over my head? The one thing I love about living in America, we have (for the most part) the freedom to do whatever we like. Me and 99% of the people who I know personal and asked require a bill of sale when selling an item such as a firearm. Maybe it’s relevant maybe it’s not but it brings piece of mind for me. I would never purchase nor sell without a bill of sale. I would in fact be weary of dealing with people as such. But to each their own and thank you to everybody who answered my initial question.

03Lightningrocks

Killadocg23 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:22 pm I don’t see the correlation between a BOS and gun control? Maybe it flew over my head? The one thing I love about living in America, we have (for the most part) the freedom to do whatever we like. Me and 99% of the people who I know personal and asked require a bill of sale when selling an item such as a firearm. Maybe it’s relevant maybe it’s not but it brings piece of mind for me. I would never purchase nor sell without a bill of sale. I would in fact be weary of dealing with people as such. But to each their own and thank you to everybody who answered my initial question.
That is your right as you say. For some of us that have been firearm owners all our lives, we look at buying a used firearm as having the benefit of no paper trail in case of government confiscation. We don't see a firearm as dangerous and needing special attention when we sell it. If a person wants a receipt for buying it, that is fine. But I feel asking for a receipt as the person selling it is going to far. It is no different than selling a refrigerator and requiring the guy who buys it to sign a bill of sale. It is just backwards. The seller has ZERO risks when selling anything. The buyer is the one risking the purchase of stolen goods.

03Lightningrocks

One of my favorite movie scenes of all time. They show up at Killadocg23 house and you say, oh no, I sold that gun. Here is the identifying information of the guy I sold it to. Then they show up at my house and shoot me for not giving them the gun the first time they showed up.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

The way I see it, a BOS isn’t required so why add additional steps to legally buy and sell a firearm. We might as well have universal background checks if we’re that concerned about false “peace of mind”.

The interpretation on what “being in the business of buying and selling firearms “ is pretty vague. I don’t need to build a paper trail to potentially get myself in trouble because I sell a couple of guns to thin a collection and run afoul for this mythical line.

I am not keen on giving my personal information to somebody to keep indefinitely in their possession if I can avoid it.

If somebody is going to claim a gun is stolen, would they not just claim also that the BOS is fake and their signature forged? Of course they would.
Psalm 91:2

striker55

Post by striker55 »

What if a gun you sold to someone is used in a crime and the police come knocking on your door? I'd want to give as much information I can. There is a form somewhere that is available for download for personal use for transferring a gun. I'd use that to keep track.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”