M1 Garand Rabbit hole

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 5

M1 Garand Rabbit hole

Post by cmgee67 »

Well I finally jumped in the M1 Garand Rabbit hole and now I’m waiting on the CMP to mail it out. I was pleasantly surprised at the prices of the clips and some Of the replacement parts. What I didn’t expect was the price of the M2 ball ammo. I heard that you can replace the gas plug with the one made by Schuster and adjust to it shoot modern ammo without bending the op rod and other parts. Any good direction in ammo and other odds and ends would be appreciated! This a bucket list check mark for me so I’m very excited.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 1

Re: M1 Garand Rabbit hole

Post by jb2012 »

Nice, a garand has always been on my list but never pulled the trigger.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I've used:

http://www.garandgear.com/index.php
https://www.ammogarand.com/ammo.html

And there's the Garand Collectors Association.
https://thegca.org/
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I’m a member of the Garand collectors association

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

I wouldn't recommend it, but when I first got mine 4-6 years ago, I didn't know about the gas plug/ammo issue and fired 20-40 rounds of modern 30.06 ammo through it. After learning about the issues I inspected it thoroughly and there didn't appear to be any damage done. After that I searched for appropriate ammo and found some at Cabela's. IIRC, somewhere around 0.80 cent per round. It was ~420 rounds in the box. I think I still have at least 300 rounds that will probably not exhaust.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

philip964

Post by philip964 »

C-dub wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:35 pm I wouldn't recommend it, but when I first got mine 4-6 years ago, I didn't know about the gas plug/ammo issue and fired 20-40 rounds of modern 30.06 ammo through it. After learning about the issues I inspected it thoroughly and there didn't appear to be any damage done. After that I searched for appropriate ammo and found some at Cabela's. IIRC, somewhere around 0.80 cent per round. It was ~420 rounds in the box. I think I still have at least 300 rounds that will probably not exhaust.
So is it accurate?

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

I have found multiple people selling vintage ammo for reasonable prices on TGT and Armslist.

I have 30-06 ammo from as early as 42/43 and every decade after until the 80s. I only shoot it on special occasions with friends and family along with my circa 1917 M1911 springfield. Have not had any issues shooting ball ammo from the 50's and 60's, they have all gone bang.

I think I paid $180 for 220 rounds in a bandoleer just before the craziness started.

You can also check out ammogarand.com (no affiliation, and I have never bought anything from them, have thought about it though)

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Welcome friend. Go forth and ping!
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

What should I expect to pay a round for Greek m2 ball it any m1 ammo. I am currently seeing it at 1.56 a round on gun broker. I would order ammo from the CMP but it was a nightmare doing the paperwork for the rifle.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

philip964 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:48 pm
C-dub wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:35 pm I wouldn't recommend it, but when I first got mine 4-6 years ago, I didn't know about the gas plug/ammo issue and fired 20-40 rounds of modern 30.06 ammo through it. After learning about the issues I inspected it thoroughly and there didn't appear to be any damage done. After that I searched for appropriate ammo and found some at Cabela's. IIRC, somewhere around 0.80 cent per round. It was ~420 rounds in the box. I think I still have at least 300 rounds that will probably not exhaust.
So is it accurate?
It's better than I am. I can do around 3-4 MOA with it. I'm not sure because I don't shoot it very often and certainly not as often as I'd like. I did a match with it a few years ago and that's what I remember doing. It was kinda funny. I'm out there in jeans and a t-shirt and all the other guys show up in these straight jacket looking setups. It was my own private club and just a fun match, so no big deal. They were very helpful to me. I tried to imitate their posture, thinking it would help me do better, but it was somewhat painful and I just did my best and be somewhat comfortable. My cheapo spotting scope could barely see my rounds at 200 yards. I was pleased hitting that huge 3'x3' target at all and down right shocked that 2-3 of the rounds were in the bullseye. I had never shot at that distance with anything before.

The furniture does not completely match. The foregrip is darker than the rest. There was no CMP paperwork with it, so I don't know much about its provenance. The previous owner said it was given to him by a sheriff friend of his many years ago. I'm not even sure what grade it is, but I'm happy with it and satisfied what I paid for it.

EDIT: After perusing the CMP site and the grades, I'd venture a guess that mine is service grade, being at least "good". There doesn't appear to be any pitting. It did not come with a sling, so I purchased one myself.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

howdy

Post by howdy »

The CMP has a forum and there is a lot of information on shooting current ammo. I bought my first CMP M1 about 8 years ago. At the time, they had 30.06 surplus ammo for sale at $95/200 rounds in a can. I bought 6 cans of it. I now have 3 M1's (I have 3 adult children to pass them down to). One is a Jan, 1942 CMP Service grade and the other 2 are CMP Special's that look brand new. I have shot the 1942 model but the other 2 remain unfired by me.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

cmgee67 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:59 am Well I finally jumped in the M1 Garand Rabbit hole and now I’m waiting on the CMP to mail it out. I was pleasantly surprised at the prices of the clips and some Of the replacement parts. What I didn’t expect was the price of the M2 ball ammo. I heard that you can replace the gas plug with the one made by Schuster and adjust to it shoot modern ammo without bending the op rod and other parts. Any good direction in ammo and other odds and ends would be appreciated! This a bucket list check mark for me so I’m very excited.
You need to get someone off your front lawn? :biggrinjester:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:03 pm [quote=cmgee67 post_id=<a href="tel:1300665">1300665</a> time=<a href="tel:1608213550">1608213550</a> user_id=19249]
Well I finally jumped in the M1 Garand Rabbit hole and now I’m waiting on the CMP to mail it out. I was pleasantly surprised at the prices of the clips and some Of the replacement parts. What I didn’t expect was the price of the M2 ball ammo. I heard that you can replace the gas plug with the one made by Schuster and adjust to it shoot modern ammo without bending the op rod and other parts. Any good direction in ammo and other odds and ends would be appreciated! This a bucket list check mark for me so I’m very excited.
You need to get someone off your front lawn? :biggrinjester:

Funny you mentioned that. I just watched Gran Torino two days ago and smiled when he pulled out the M1
[/quote]

Weg

Post by Weg »

Privi partisan made some pretty good new M2 ball, but can't seem to find it anymore.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Weg wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:30 pm Privi partisan made some pretty good new M2 ball, but can't seem to find it anymore.
I suspect that when the panic happened, everyone with a Garand did exactly the same thing everyone with an AR did......run out and buy as much as he could if he didn’t already have a bunker-full. Now there’s none to be had.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”